Auto Train Meals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having the Fios 400 mb internet service installed on Friday, make the Zoom sessions actually zoom for a change....playing videos will be much easier....First Alt Power (mostly solar PV) class kicks off next Monday....

Having the Fios 400 mb internet service installed on Friday, make the Zoom sessions actually zoom for a change....playing videos will be much easier....First Alt Power (mostly solar PV) class kicks off next Monday....

Is Fios only offered during breakfast hours? Do you put vinegar, ketchup, or mayonnaise on it?

:D

Anyone take a 2019 Buick Enclave on the AutoTrain? Spec. says it's 78.8 "without" mirrors. :)
I tried to measure, and with mirrors fully extended I get 91". With both mirrors retracted I get 81"
I read the vehicle allowance to be 84". That's cutting it close --- Can I assume the drivers have handled just about every vehicle, and that they know to retract the mirrors ?? Should I panic ??o_O

Anyone take a 2019 Buick Enclave on the AutoTrain? Spec. says it's 78.8 "without" mirrors. :)
I tried to measure, and with mirrors fully extended I get 91". With both mirrors retracted I get 81"
I read the vehicle allowance to be 84". That's cutting it close --- Can I assume the drivers have handled just about every vehicle, and that they know to retract the mirrors ?? Should I panic ??o_O
Why not retract them yourself when you park at the loading area?

Doubt the Buick is wider then my Yukon XL that has never had a problem in 10 years. Well...do retract the mirrors yourself as if you don't, they tend to just grab and fold by hand which causes havoc on the mechanism. They're made to take it, but you'd have to auto-fold once-or-twice. The guys do have to be able to walk past the loaded vehicles, as seen in the video above.

Attachments

• YukonXL.jpg
    YukonXL.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I have a 2019 Toyota Sienna raised WC Van. I had similar concerns but it was loaded on. It's a contracted company that seems to know what their doing. When I booked they told me there would be no problems.

For those lacking either the capability or inclination to measure the widths of their vehicles with mirrors in various configurations, this website may of help: Car dimensions of all makes with size comparison tools I think most owner's manuals also have those dimensions. The one for my 2019 Ford Ranger gives three width dimensions: without mirrors; mirrors folded; mirrors extended. If my vehicle was on the large side, not listed in the above link, had non-folding mirrors and the only width dimension found said or illustrated nothing about mirrors (i.e. just stated "Width = 82.2"" I'd be hesitant to conclude it's OK for the AT.

If no definitive published data can be found, my only peace of mind would come from a good measurement. And depending on the vehicle, that good measurement may be difficult to make - especially if with the mirrors folded, other parts of the vehicle appear wider.

Last edited:
Did I miss them? Didn't see the most popular large SUVs: Yukon, Denali, Suburban.
Try this: pull in to a garage, stop right at the door frame....measure mirror edge to doorframe on each side...subtract from doorframe width. Height: same doorframe, open the sunroof, reach up with a yardstick, measure from top of frame to sunroof, subtract from height of doorframe.

Last edited:
Did I miss them? Didn't see the most popular large SUVs: Yukon, Denali, Suburban.
Try this: pull in to a garage, stop right at the door frame....measure mirror edge to doorframe on each side...subtract from doorframe width. Height: same doorframe, open the sunroof, reach up with a yardstick, measure from top of frame to sunroof, subtract from height of doorframe.

Sounds like a math problem my 6th grade teacher would have devised. :)

LOL. I don't have a garage, so I laid an 8' 2x4 across the roof, then measured from the driveway up to the end of the 2x4. Wanna get really anal = measure both sides and get an average between them if you don't think the 2x4 is level. That's math...they don't teach practical math anymore. Width = hold the 2x4 vertically on the edge of the mirror...put a brick on the ground next to it (both sides)...measure the distance between bricks! This should give you a height & width you can live with.

Last edited:
For those lacking either the capability or inclination to measure the widths of their vehicles with mirrors in various configurations, this website may of help: Car dimensions of all makes with size comparison tools I think most owner's manuals also have those dimensions. The one for my 2019 Ford Ranger gives three width dimensions: without mirrors; mirrors folded; mirrors extended. If my vehicle was on the large side, not listed in the above link, had non-folding mirrors and the only width dimension found said or illustrated nothing about mirrors (i.e. just stated "Width = 82.2"" I'd be hesitant to conclude it's OK for the AT.

If no definitive published data can be found, my only peace of mind would come from a good measurement. And depending on the vehicle, that good measurement may be difficult to make - especially if with the mirrors folded, other parts of the vehicle appear wider.

Hahaha - Buick not listed in the drop down for makes (so much for "all makes" )😅

I like the doorway technique, only you have to be sure you are perfectly perpendicular within the frame, and my garage door is 18 feet wide, so there's room for some play in the measurement tape. But I may try this to compare to my measurements from yesterday...

LOL. I don't have a garage, so I laid an 8' 2x4 across the roof, then measured from the driveway up to the end of the 2x4. Wanna get really anal = measure both sides and get an average between them if you don't think the 2x4 is level. That's math...they don't teach practical math anymore. Width = hold the 2x4 vertically on the edge of the mirror...put a brick on the ground next to it (both sides)...measure the distance between bricks! This should give you a height & width you can live with.

...& thanks for yet another idea.
I tried running a tape through the front, with the windows down and mirrors in each position.
If correct, I'm at 81" with mirrors folded in, and 91" with them extended.
I also tried to drop a straight (plumb) line from the mirrors edges, and marked the garage floor on both sides, and also got the 91" extended.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance.:)
It's puzzling why the Buick site only has one external width measurement listed , and it's 78.8" "without mirrors".
Who the heck has a car without mirrors ?? :p

I had some size concerns regarding my 2020 Envision (which is the "Mama Bear" in the Bear Family; the Enclave is the "Papa Bear".) There were no Auto Train able size issues as it turned out and I don't think the Enclave is much wider, if any, than the Envision.

The issue arise because even within a model, different series often have different mirrors, and they may or may not fold or retract the same way depending on which type. Always play it safe, and check your vehicle. The greatest likelihood is you will be fine, but it doesn't hurt to know for sure. Of course, lots of folks have oversized mirrors these days, for boat or trailer towing.

My Next AutoTrain curiosity:
What is a typical shift for the crew?
Do some stay on duty for an entire 24 hr. run, and alternate days off in Lorton & Sanford?
Do most live midway, and swap out at that point??
I'd really like to know how they staff it 24/7/365.
THANKS!

Do some stay on duty for an entire 24 hr. run, and alternate days off in Lorton & Sanford?
THANKS!

I assume it is like any LD train. For example, the SCA is technically on-duty for the entire run. In actuality, some are easily available late at night if needed, and some go into deep hibernation.

THANKS!

My experience was the SCA was on the train the entire trip, but informed us that she would retire for the night at 11:00 P. M. Whether someone would cover for her, I don't know. I had not need to request any service during the night. The personnel in the dining car also remained for the entire trip.

Back