Auto Train Meals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're on for the whole trip (which can start and end at any time unless there's on-time depart/arrival). Our 4:30 departure from SFA was 11:00PM on occasion. LOL and sometimes...NO departure at all!!! There is no crew change (except for engineer) as the one and only 15 minute stop in Florence, SC is for that purpose (and water). There are 6 crews...they work 3 contiguous runs. Shuttled to the Comfort Inn to rest between arrival & departure. They live on either end. I've gone from monthly to cold turkey as of March!!! No "departure" in sight! I miss it.

They're on for the whole trip (which can start and end at any time unless there's on-time depart/arrival). Our 4:30 departure from SFA was 11:00PM on occasion. LOL and sometimes...NO departure at all!!! There is no crew change (except for engineer) as the one and only 15 minute stop in Florence, SC is for that purpose (and water). There are 6 crews...they work 3 contiguous runs. Shuttled to the Comfort Inn to rest between arrival & departure. They live on either end. I've gone from monthly to cold turkey as of March!!! No "departure" in sight! I miss it.
Great info. - Thanks!
Yeah - I'm guessing ridership is still way down-
It's amazing to me that they continue daily operations, and haven't moved to 3 or 4 R/Ts per week.
I'm still booked and counting down to January 2021 🤞
Maybe I'll see you onboard one day in the future:)

I can tell you that menu looks a hell of lot better than that Flexible Dining Service crap. I don't know if that changes my mind about booking a ticket, though.

Like your avatar pic! You got it right... the flex meals are really crap! Save your $$$ until covid is over and flex is finally formally flipped into the flop fire.

Unless you're about to starve to death... you don't want to eat a flex meal!

tumblr_9cb321d231aff285589d512298a27624_4c87da23_1280.jpg

Like your avatar pic! You got it right... the flex meals are really crap! Save your $$$ until covid is over and flex is finally formally flipped into the flop fire.

Unless you're about to starve to death... you don't want to eat a flex meal!

View attachment 20335

Unfortunately, waiting until COVID is over won't help me decide whether or not I want to take advantage of this $99 Auto Train sale. I need to decide by the end of the week if I am taking that trip.

Unfortunately, waiting until COVID is over won't help me decide whether or not I want to take advantage of this $99 Auto Train sale. I need to decide by the end of the week if I am taking that trip.
$99 is indeed cheep... but the value of your health is way beyond that. In fact, there's a reason for having such a sale for Auto Train bring cars down to warm and sunny FLA in the dead of winter.

$99 is indeed cheep... but the value of your health is way beyond that. In fact, there's a reason for having such a sale for Auto Train bring cars down to warm and sunny FLA in the dead of winter.

As I have discussed elsewhere, travel does not cause COVID. Stupid is far more likely to cause COVID. If I am wearing a mask, washing my hands, and keeping my distance from others, I am not likely to catch this virus or pass it to someone else. In addition, a sleeper car further limits my interactions with other people - as opposed to, say, a flight with very few empty seats. Lastly, this year, I will be celebrating 15 years as a cancer survivor. When I received my diagnosis in 2006, someone sent me the lyrics to a Bon Jovi song (of whom I am no particular fan). The song was It's My Life. The premise was "I ain't gonna live forever....I just wanna live while I'm alive." So, if you don't want to travel, stay the hell home. But, save your fear mongering for another day.

Offering well meant advice is hardly fear mongering... Stupid does not cause Covid, it is a virus. Stupid seems more like taking any frivolous rail trip when all scientific advice is not to travel needlessly?
I see they don't want Californians to travel more than 120 miles from home.

Despite safety measures on the train (and planes) the virus continues to spread.

I'd hate to contract the virus someplace where the ICUs are full of cases.

Offering well meant advice is hardly fear mongering... Stupid does not cause Covid, it is a virus. Stupid seems more like taking any frivolous rail trip when all scientific advice is not to travel needlessly?
For sure I'm avoiding traveling. Even the most careful survivalist could get caught off guard with a non mask passerby just sneezing... or touch something in the bathroom and not wash hands carefully enough. Surface bacteria... and virus are everywhere. Why oh why would one want to take a chance.

There are plenty of joyful living activities that can be done at much less risk.

I'm with you caravanman, and the Center for Disease Control. I'm staying home and when I need to go out... will social distance, wear a mask, and wash my hands! ;) 🤞

So, here's a curiosity. If this is a discussion forum about hmmmm....wait....what is it? Oh yeah, train travel. If this is a discussion forum about train travel, why would you spend your time having discussions with people doing things that you don't think they should be doing. But, since you feel the need to chime in, please tell me, Mr. Science Man, show me data that confirms your theory that travel causes COVID. Because, otherwise, I am pretty confident that I am more likely to contract COVID by filling my car up with gasoline (how many people do you figure have touched that gas pump since the last person cleaned it?) than I am from taking a train in a sleeper car where I come into contact with almost no people. I get off said train at the destination and I have my car - not a strange rental car that may not be so completely pure that I am safe.

So, here's a curiosity. If this is a discussion forum about hmmmm....wait....what is it? Oh yeah, train travel. If this is a discussion forum about train travel, why would you spend your time having discussions with people doing things that you don't think they should be doing. But, since you feel the need to chime in, please tell me, Mr. Science Man, show me data that confirms your theory that travel causes COVID. Because, otherwise, I am pretty confident that I am more likely to contract COVID by filling my car up with gasoline (how many people do you figure have touched that gas pump since the last person cleaned it?) than I am from taking a train in a sleeper car where I come into contact with almost no people. I get off said train at the destination and I have my car - not a strange rental car that may not be so completely pure that I am safe.
You are doing it the right way and I hope you continue to have good luck.

I like hearing about people that successfully travel despite the risks. Unfortunately I don't have the safety net of a second home served by Autotrain.

I assume your 15 year cancer survivorship had something to do with following medical advice.

What are doctors telling people to do now, to survive this pandemic?

The vaccines should help keep health care workers safe within the next month or so. That would help a lot of people feel safer about travel.

Last edited:
When 3-4,000 people are dying everyday and the CDC says it will help to save lives if you don’t travel.... I’m going to choose not to travel.

If you’d rather take advice from Bon Jovi that is your decision to make.

I’m discussing train travel because I love trains and travel and I can’t wait to travel again!

You are doing it the right way and I hope you continue to have good luck.

I like hearing about people that successfully travel despite the risks. Unfortunately I don't have the safety net of a second home served by Autotrain.

I assume your 15 year cancer survivorship had something to do with following medical advice.

What are doctors telling people to do now, to survive this pandemic?

The vaccines should help keep health care workers safe within the next month or so. That would help a lot of people feel safer about travel.

Is non essential travel for the joy of travel worth the risk of contracting covid... especially when newer strains are making it easier to catch? Those of us who listen to the CDC and want to practice recommended cautions are not traveling.

Oh how I miss being lulled to sleep in my roomette... but patience and restraint will bring that once again as the future unfolds and the danger retreats.

Have patience folks... we'll get there... and if we're careful... with our health! ;) 🌈

Gosh old chap, you have very poor eyesight! I never said that travel causes Covid…
To say that filling up your car with gas is more risky than train travel seems correct. But to take your point of view a step further, going into a hospital room full of Covid patients without protection is probably less safe than just filling your car with gas.
My point is simply that any unnecessary train trip carries more Covid risk than staying at home and isolating.
I don't always feel the need to chime in, but uncivil folk on this forum are rare, so I didn't want to miss the opportunity.

Gosh old chap, you have very poor eyesight! I never said that travel causes Covid…
To say that filling up your car with gas is more risky than train travel seems correct. But to take your point of view a step further, going into a hospital room full of Covid patients without protection is probably less safe than just filling your car with gas.
My point is simply that any unnecessary train trip carries more Covid risk than staying at home and isolating.
I don't always feel the need to chime in, but uncivil folk on this forum are rare, so I didn't want to miss the opportunity.

Nicely said... I agreed with every word! Sending to you a very merry toast of 'cheers' across the pond. If you're ever out to the Oregon coast... very post covid and when it's safe... it would be great to share with you some suds and an American burger in our harbor... and talk lots of British trains... and your world travels! 🌍

By staying safe, we can all look forward to meeting up with the impressive folks we've met on this forum! 🤞 😇🌈

Making friends across the pond.png

But, since you feel the need to chime in, please tell me, Mr. Science Man, show me data that confirms your theory that travel causes COVID. I am pretty confident that I am more likely to contract COVID by filling my car up with gasoline (how many people do you figure have touched that gas pump since the last person cleaned it?) than I am from taking a train in a sleeper car where I come into contact with almost no people.
Please tell us, Mr. Florida Man, what data you believe substantiates the assumption that indirect surface contact plays a significant role in COVID transmission while unfiltered air recirculated through a shared HVAC system does not.

I am considering taking the Auto Train within the next several weeks. I have a few questions relative to dining during this pandemic:

1. Are "standard" meals being served?
2. If so, what is the seating arrangement (social distancing)?
3. Is there an option to eat your meals in your sleeping compartment (bedroom)?

And any other advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!
I am pretty late, but I can answer your questions!

1. Yes, the traditional dining service, or standard, are being served.

2. You can either have it delivered to your room the same way that flexible dining is delivered, in a big paper bag with all of the meal contents. Or you can eat in the diner, but no communal seating.

3. Yep, as said above, you can eat in your room.

Note: I have not travelled on the Auto Train recently, but this information is coming from two separate reviews online and the Amtrak website.

I am pretty late, but I can answer your questions!

1. Yes, the traditional dining service, or standard, are being served.

2. You can either have it delivered to your room the same way that flexible dining is delivered, in a big paper bag with all of the meal contents. Or you can eat in the diner, but no communal seating.

3. Yep, as said above, you can eat in your room.

Note: I have not travelled on the Auto Train recently, but this information is coming from two separate reviews online and the Amtrak website.
I can validate this. We just completed our first roundtrip in a Bedroom. We requested our meals be delivered to our room. We were able to maintain physical distancing at both stations: we (I) checked in at the desk at 11:30 each time, and requested our dining time and (for the NB) paid for priority offloading. (Didn’t want to huddle in the station in Lorton to stay warm).
Our experience was that the service was great. The food was nediocre. The wine was average. The cheesecake was pretty good, once it thawed completely.
We were in Orlando for 7 weeks, and returned with no signs of COVID.
This was our first Snowbird trip, and we plan to repeat it next year. The cost of the bedroom was more than offset by the cost of renting a car for 7 weeks!

Curious as to the Points vs Cash structure when looking at next year’s trip. First week of January in a Bedroom is $1365 Southbound. Points are 145,373 !!
That’s > 106 Points per Dollar
End of January - same trip is still $1365, but only 48,458 Points (35.5 Points per Dollar). Why the huge delta in Points only??

Curious as to the Points vs Cash structure when looking at next year’s trip. First week of January in a Bedroom is $1365 Southbound. Points are 145,373 !!
That’s > 106 Points per Dollar
End of January - same trip is still $1365, but only 48,458 Points (35.5 Points per Dollar). Why the huge delta in Points only??
Amtrak works on the Supply and demand principle, hence Holidays are usually extremely busy,especially on the Florida Routes.

This Holiday policy came about with the Changeover from AGR I to AGR II when Holiday " Blackouts" were done away with for those willing to cough up extra Points!

Amtrak works on the Supply and demand principle, hence Holidays are usually extremely busy,especially on the Florida Routes.

This Holiday policy came about with the Changeover from AGR I to AGR II when Holiday " Blackouts" were done away with for those willing to cough up extra Points!
WOW - interesting that the cash price is the same, though. That's a premium of almost 100K Points. Definitely not worth it.
I just received an email from Amtrak identifying $9 Coach fares on AutoTrain.
I think I would suffer through sleeping in Coach for that deal, if only I had a reason to go back in March-June, or a place to stay :)

Only they specified that "no blackouts" was a real plus but neglected to even mention the points ripoff.

I can validate this. We just completed our first roundtrip in a Bedroom. We requested our meals be delivered to our room. We were able to maintain physical distancing at both stations: we (I) checked in at the desk at 11:30 each time, and requested our dining time and (for the NB) paid for priority offloading. (Didn’t want to huddle in the station in Lorton to stay warm).
Our experience was that the service was great. The food was nediocre. The wine was average. The cheesecake was pretty good, once it thawed completely.
We were in Orlando for 7 weeks, and returned with no signs of COVID.
This was our first Snowbird trip, and we plan to repeat it next year. The cost of the bedroom was more than offset by the cost of renting a car for 7 weeks!
Glad to hear it all worked out.

Back