Auto Train new schedule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Word Is starting in May the Auto Train will be delayed by 1 Hr in each direction.

Trains 52 and 53, depart original station at 5:00 pm and arrive destination station at 9:59 am.
Check-in for all vehicle types begins at 12:30 pm and closes at 3:00 pm.

Reason for the schedule change:
1)Elimination of smaller delays with less freight interference.
2)One less hour of heat restriction travel during summer months.
3)Ability to expand consist beyond 50-car limit.

Interesting- no notification from Amtrak as we have a trip in May. The times work better for us as more time to avoid DC/BAL rush hour and no rush for early detraining in Sanford.
I believe they will be updating the customers with prior reservations later this week.

Trains 52 and 53, depart original station at 5:00 pm and arrive destination station at 9:59 am.
Check-in for all vehicle types begins at 12:30 pm and closes at 3:00 pm.

I wonder how this will impact the time when one can board the train?

I like the later arrival time at the destination. As long as the dining car's closing hour for breakfast is adjusted to reflect this later arrival, there won't be the need to arise so early just to get breakfast. (Such as it is.)

I tried to pull up my reservation in the app but 'was unavailable at this time'. So I called AGR and after a 10 minute wait got a very helpful agent. She said there was a hold on retrieving the reservations until the passenger had been notified of the time change. She confirmed the one hour later departure and arrival effective May 2.

The latest time for check in is 3:00pm, only half hour later than previously, as @Squad1-1 said. Guess this helps insure an on time departure especially with the recently longer trains. After the call checked my app and my reservation was retrievable including the car and room numbers. Also got an email confirming the time change. It also confirmed 'the station opens to receive passengers at 12:30.'

Did a dummy reservation and time change first came up on trips May 2 and onward.
Monday, May 2
Departure
LOR

Select
SFA
Compare Fare Types
informationicon_outline_white.svg

Auto Train Train Icon

53Auto Train
DEPARTS
5:00p

50% full >

50% full >
to
16h 59m
ARRIVES
9:59a
Tue, May 3
Trip Details
Select

Amtrak Logo

Amtrak Logo

We’re in Lorton waiting for inbound Auto Train 52 to arrive, unload, service, and reload us. It’s 7:40pm. We were due to leave at 5:00pm and 52 was due in at 10am. Agent says maybe 53 will board at midnight. Amtrak is always an adventure. I’ll write a trip report at some point when we recover.

We’re in Lorton waiting for inbound Auto Train 52 to arrive, unload, service, and reload us. It’s 7:40pm. We were due to leave at 5:00pm and 52 was due in at 10am. Agent says maybe 53 will board at midnight. Amtrak is always an adventure. I’ll write a trip report at some point when we recover.
You could probably write a nice long one before you even board for the trip home. :D

OK...he said "Word is", without providing the link to the actual Amtrak advisory or even quoting it accurately.

I said “word is” because this was days before an official Amtrak Advisory was released, hence the reason no link was provided. Also, not sure where I misquoted any inaccurate information.

I can provide some insight on why the change in time of departure for the train. And not so surprisingly it has to do with CSX. CSX has a hotshot intermodal train from North Bergen, NJ to Jacksonville, FL. Which I used to work and that train in question is Q031. It appears that the 031 was consistently getting in the way of 53 coming out of LOR delaying it. So in response to that CSX said we'll push your slot back an hour and allow you to add 5 cars to the train. Trust me CSX treats that 031 and it's counterpart 032 like its the only thing out there. They will hold a crew for it when their are plenty of other trains that need to be run.

So in response to that CSX said we'll push your slot back an hour and allow you to add 5 cars to the train.
In the recent STB hearings, CSX was called out for running trains too long to fit in their sidings, too long to fit in their yards so they block the mainline while being assembled, and blocking the mainline for crew changes. Given that record, I think it's ridiculous that they have the right to tell Amtrak how long its trains can be.

In the recent STB hearings, CSX was called out for running trains too long to fit in their sidings, too long to fit in their yards so they block the mainline while being assembled, and blocking the mainline for crew changes. Given that record, I think it's ridiculous that they have the right to tell Amtrak how long its trains can be.
It is their right, as they OWN the tracks that Amtrak is RENTING to use.

Back