Auto train or Sliver service, need advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allypet

Service Attendant
It has been 2 years since I rode the AT. I have to go to a college graduation in May 2017 so my dates are not very flexible. Searching fares I can get sliver service to Deerfield Beach, in a bedroom for around 1400 round trip. The AT would cost me over 2000 on the same days, also with a bedroom.

My questions are, what are the differences between the Slivers and the AT? And should I wait to see if the price drops on the AT?

The AT is a nonstop double decker train that only allows people if they bring a car with them, where as the silvers are standard single level long distance trains. I'm sure others will inform you of the intricacies of both soon...

With the AT, you bring your auto with you - and it only travels between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL. The Silvers are only for passengers and you rent a car (or have someone pick you up) at your destination - and it travel to many more places on both ends of the route.

If you priced the Silver Meteor, meals are included in your sleeper fare. If you priced the Silver Star, your meals are not included and the Silver Star does not have a dining car.

On the Auto Train, you will be served dinner and a continental breakfast the next morning.

Thanks for the answers. Do the slivers run all new equipment or are they still running the older cars? I know that with the AT the new buckets start higher and then go lower. If the price drops, does Amtrak offer refunds? My last ride was before all this went into effect and I'm a little rusty.

If you mean new baggage cars yes. New diners or sleepers? Not delivered yet. If you mean new coaches, not even ordered yet.

If the price drops, does Amtrak offer refunds?
The refunds are not really offered (in the true sense of the word) by Amtrak. You have to call an agent when the price drops and request your previously purchased ticket be modified to the new, lower fare. And the easiest way to find out about a price drop is to use the Fare Watch feature of Amsnag.

And the "refund" is either 90% of the difference (if you want cash back or a chargeback to your credit card) or if you wish it to be applied to a voucher for redemption for reservations made within 1 year, it is then 100% of the difference.

However, the big but is you must call to make this modification! If you do not request it, there will be no price modifications!

On the Silvers, a roomette has a private toilet. On the Autotrain, the roomettes share a common toilet with everyone else, and are at the mercy on how the previous person leaves it.

While the Silvers don't have new passenger cars, neither does the Autotrain.

And the "refund" is either 90% of the difference (if you want cash back or a chargeback to your credit card) or if you wish it to be applied to a voucher for redemption for reservations made within 1 year, it is then 100% of the difference.

However, the big but is you must call to make this modification! If you do not request it, there will be no price modifications!
thanks! That's useful to know. What if I booked a round trip? Do they treat each trip as a separate purchase? What I mean if one trip fare goes down, and the other goes up will they look at the total cost and make the adjust from that or will just look at the trip that had a price drop?

Thanks. I'm booking the AT bedroom, and hope there is a price drop. Tom, is the sleeper lounge back on the AT? I read it might be back. Last time I rode it there was only one very crowded lounge. That turned me off so much I haven't taken the AT in 2 years.

The sleeper lounge was back last time we rode in April 2016. It is a standard lounge and not a sight seer lounge on our two trips.

IMG_0284_zpst51t64py.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back