Auto Train Priority Unloading Procedure at Lorton

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AudenHoggart

Service Attendant
We'll be taking the northbound AutoTrain on Dec. 27th. We'll have heavy coats in the car for the remainder of our trip after getting off in Lorton. But I'm not sure if we need to bother taking them to the roomette with us.

So, what are the logistics for retrieving your car with priority unloading in Lorton? Will we need to wait outside? If so, I suppose we might need to bring coats on the train although we obviously won't need them until we get off in Lorton.

Thanks for any advice about this.

You will have to wait briefly and you can do so inside. However, naturally you will collect your car outside, so keeping a jacket handy would be advisable.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you detrain, you'll have to walk on the platform (outside) to the climate controlled station. As autos are unloaded, you'll be able to hear the loading numbers as they are announced on the PA. To claim the vehicle, you'll have to walk outside to the claiming area. So I would recommend that you check weather reports before deciding what to bring aboard. If it is expected to be extremely cold, you may want to bring the warm coats on the train with you. Otherwise, a lighter jacket or sweater would probably be adequate for the brief time you will be outdoors.

Tom

And if it is like our trip two years ago, it was 15 degrees outside and the car was pretty cold when we entered since it had been sitting in the unheated carrier all night. You should definitely plan to have some sort of jacket on as you leave the station for your car. Depends on how long it takes for your car to warm up on the inside. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back