Auto Train questions from newbie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ET2020

Service Attendant
Newbie to this forum.
Nearing retirement, and researching all I can find on the Autotrain, as we want to "SnowBird" in Florida.
Please share tips/tricks/deals, regarding AutoTrain, and your recommendations.
THANKS!

Hello All!
This is my first day on these forums, and my second post.
I'm a soon-to-be retiree from Baltimore, and plan to extend our "Snow-Bird" time in Florida once retired.
The AutoTrain has appeal when considering the costs of renting a car for 5-6weeks, added to the airfare, and it yields some additional advantages:
(packing golf clubs, non-perishable foods, EXTRAS, & having your comfortable personal vehicle with you).
The Sleeper Car rates chew into the savings, however, and I'd like to hear from real users as to the worthiness of going with the sleepers.
Please give me your feedback.
TIA for responses, and let me know if there is a thread dedicated to just AutoTrain.
THANKS!
ET:)

We have been taking the Auto Train for years now.

One year there must have been a clitch in reservation system and we got a roomette at a very reasonable price. We could not resist to try it. Well it was a horrible experience. The beds are too narrow, the top bunk is below a curved ceiling. We folded the beds up in the middle of the night and slept in the chairs.

If you have any specific questions I would be pleased to answer.

Are you sure you had a roomette? On the Auto Train, all the roomettes are on the lower level. The curved roof is on the upper level!
Are you sure? I have been on the Auto Train many times and have had roomettes on the upper level. There is one car (maybe 2) that have only bedrooms upstairs, but all the other sleeper cars have roomettes and bedrooms upstairs (similar to a typical superliner).
I agree that the top bunk is very tight and the beds are narrow, but, in my opinion, a roomette is much better than coach. However, a bedroom is much better than a roomette, in my opinion.

Are you sure you had a roomette? On the Auto Train, all the roomettes are on the lower level. The curved roof is on the upper level!
While the Auto Train has some sleepers with all bedrooms on the upper level it also has regular sleepers with upper level roomettes. It is possible to have an upper level roomette on the Auto Train.

As a fellow "snowbird in training" for the last few years, let me offer you some encouragement. The main obstacle to long stays in Florida is escalating car rental costs if you fly or take a conventional train. This is why the Auto Train makes sense, and if I lived where you do it would be a "no-brainer" since you have to contend with driving I-95 as well. Even though our winter stay down there is split between the Panhandle and baseball Spring Training and it is quite a long drive to Lorton at this end, I longingly price it out every year.

There is a lot of information on the Auto Train in this forum - both positive and negative and it's easily searched. There have been some cuts and unusual delays recently, leading to some criticism. If you can afford sleeper accommodation, Amtrak Superliners can be a very civilised way to travel. Since it sounds like you're a couple, the note above about roomettes is correct. Consider two across the hall from each other, so you'd only need the lower bunks. You can sit together during the daytime and sleep comfortably overnight - often at a lower cost than the larger full bedroom which still has an upper bunk. As a sleeper passenger you will also get two decent meals included.

I hope you can work something out and enjoy your trip.

It all depends on you

Since the trip is only about 16 hours (or so) - if your funds are limited, riding coach is OK ... I, personally, do not have a problem sleeping in coach as some seem to.

Having your own room is certainly nice - but, like you said, it chews into the savings.

The main thing is, you have "your" car with you at both ends ... so, coach or sleeper, you will enjoy this state much better if you bring your car - since renting one for a month or more also "chews into the savings" and you cannot bring all the things you want to bring when lugging it around by hand

Hubby and I are seasoned Auto Train travelers. Hubby is a big/tall dude so getting a sleeper is not an option for us. We travel coach and have found we like the lower level better. There are only 12 seats and way less foot traffic because you cannot go from one car to another. The lower level may be a little more bumpy but on the upper level you get way more sway. The restrooms are also on the lower level but the cafe car is on the upper level, so you will have to go up to purchase your food unless you bring your own food/drinks aboard with you. If you decide coach is for you, make sure you bring a pillow and blanket. We are not pleased with the changes in the meals for coach. We will be having our first experience with the cafe menu in May. Amtrak has lowered the cost for a coach ticket BUT you will more than make up the difference purchasing your meal from the cafe car. I hope I was able to help! Happy travels!!! [emoji4]

Wow - All good feedback- Thank You!
I have some more detail-specific questions.
Anyone actually use the bathroom/shower in the superliner bedroom?
My wife has public-restroom-phobia, so if we get a sleeper, we will probably opt for the high-end.
And, having said that, I'm a 2-shower a day guy; could I actually use the small shower without torturing myself ?? :)
Additionally; how do you all maximize your rewards, to help offset some of these costs? ( I already signed up for an Amtrak credit card) , but are there other tips, deals, promotions ??
Lastly; is there a strategic timing for purchasing tickets? ie; I know I want to travel down in January 2021 - should I hop on the tickets the day they are available, thinking that would be the best price point?
OR - should I wait for a particular time offset to gain the best price ??
I know when flying SWA, the price is typically the lowest when it first becomes available ??
Again - Thanks so much for the feedback.

I don't like the upper berth in a Roomette, but don't mind the upper in a Bedroom. It's a little wider than in a Roomette and less confined.

When I travel in a Bedroom, I use the shower downstairs because it's a lot bigger and more comfortable. My wife hates public facilities, so she showers in the room. She finds it cramped for using the toilet in Bedrooms.

I would think January would be a time of high demand for the Auto Train, so I would book eleven months in advance so rooms don't sell out.

I also hate public facilities so I try to get a bedroom when traveling on a Superliner. (my roomette experience on the Auto Train was years ago when I was married to someone who decided we could not afford a bedroom). I am fairly small so the "in room" shower is fine for me.

Although there are some on this forum that claim that purchasing tickets 5 months in advance is the best time, I choose to purchase as soon as I am able to do so.

I'm a hybrid-snowbird - 3 weeks down/3 weeks up, year'round...on the AT almost monthly. I used the bedroom shower once to prove you could do it! But...always use the large one downstairs. It's barely "public" as no one uses it! And the downstairs bathrooms (3) are bigger. Definitely use Amsnag to find the lowest rate in each direction...being retired...I'm very flexible when going alone on odd months, but have to follow the nieces schedule when she goes (hence $3,600 at Xmas). There's AGR points and Tier points. I'm Plus, but close to Executive...hence, a lot of free trips. FYI: the time your car is loaded has no relation whatsoever to when it's unloaded ('cept if you pay extra to be in the first 30). Tip: I take duct-tape and a pizza box-top to cover the vent that NEVER closes, and rubber doorstops to stop creaks & rattles. Tip: We take laptops and DVD's from RedBox. To save money, they discontinued movies on-board. Tip: I bring liquor and snacks since they discontinued the "wine-tasting" too.

Attachments

• Bedrooms.jpg
    Bedrooms.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Loaded.jpg
    Loaded.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 17
  • cocktail2.JPG
    cocktail2.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 17
  • Picnic5.JPG
    Picnic5.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 16
I don't like the upper berth in a Roomette, but don't mind the upper in a Bedroom. It's a little wider than in a Roomette and less confined.

When I travel in a Bedroom, I use the shower downstairs because it's a lot bigger and more comfortable. My wife hates public facilities, so she showers in the room. She finds it cramped for using the toilet in Bedrooms.

I would think January would be a time of high demand for the Auto Train, so I would book eleven months in advance so rooms don't sell out.
So then, I'm assuming that if I book at 11 months, and the fare goes lower at 5 months, that I cannot get a credit for the reduction?

You can book at any point and keep checking the price every so often and if price drops call and get a price adjustment.

We know our travel dates and book early and keep checking price. Depending on the agent you will get a e-credit or credit back to your credit card.

I also hate public facilities so I try to get a bedroom when traveling on a Superliner. (my roomette experience on the Auto Train was years ago when I was married to someone who decided we could not afford a bedroom). I am fairly small so the "in room" shower is fine for me.

Although there are some on this forum that claim that purchasing tickets 5 months in advance is the best time, I choose to purchase as soon as I am able to do so.
OK - thanks for confirming that the in-room shower can be used. I've heard a range of negatives, but not sure they were from anyone who had actually tried it ! :)

You can book at any point and keep checking the price every so often and if price drops call and get a price adjustment.

We know our travel dates and book early and keep checking price. Depending on the agent you will get a e-credit or credit back to your credit card.
AWESOME SAUCE - That's what I will do,
So, because my return trip is offset by 5-7 weeks, do you suggest booking 1-Way, as soon as that originating date is available ??
(That's what I'm thinking)

I'm a hybrid-snowbird - 3 weeks down/3 weeks up, year'round...on the AT almost monthly. I used the bedroom shower once to prove you could do it! But...always use the large one downstairs. It's barely "public" as no one uses it! And the downstairs bathrooms (3) are bigger. Definitely use Amsnag to find the lowest rate in each direction...being retired...I'm very flexible when going alone on odd months, but have to follow the nieces schedule when she goes (hence $3,600 at Xmas). There's AGR points and Tier points. I'm Plus, but close to Executive...hence, a lot of free trips. FYI: the time your car is loaded has no relation whatsoever to when it's unloaded ('cept if you pay extra to be in the first 30). Tip: I take duct-tape and a pizza box-top to cover the vent that NEVER closes, and rubber doorstops to stop creaks & rattles. Tip: We take laptops and DVD's from RedBox. To save money, they discontinued movies on-board. Tip: I bring liquor and snacks since they discontinued the "wine-tasting" too.
What is AMSNAG, AGR , and Tier (please educate me - Thanks!)

OK - thanks for confirming that the in-room shower can be used. I've heard a range of negatives, but not sure they were from anyone who had actually tried it ! :)
I use it all the time. I have never used the downstairs shower and I travel cross country just about every year. Often the shower heard will drip and may drip on you while you are using the toilet. I wrap a towel around the shower head after I am finished with the shower and dry off the inside of the shower staff with another towel at the same time. To avoid getting the toilet paper wet, I remove the roll prior to showering and put it back when I am finshed (although there is an enclosure, but sometimes it leaks).
I have lived in Florida all my life and winters in Florida are glorious (9 month summers not so much).

Here's a link to AmSnag, which is used for finding the lowest fare over a range of dates. https://biketrain.net/amsnag2.0/amSnag.php
I see Bedrooms for eight days in February, 2020, at $647, and for sixteen days at $1124, (I think I clicked for just one person, and this does not include your automobile). The station codes you need are LOR (Lorton, Virginia) and SFA (Sanford, Florida).

I have gotten an adjustment when prices went down after I purchased, but the agent at first said there would be a 25% penalty, then said I would be given a "one-time" exception.

Here's a link to AmSnag, which is used for finding the lowest fare over a range of dates. https://biketrain.net/amsnag2.0/amSnag.php
I see Bedrooms for eight days in February, 2020, at $647, and for sixteen days at $1124, (I think I clicked for just one person, and this does not include your automobile). The station codes you need are LOR (Lorton, Virginia) and SFA (Sanford, Florida).

I have gotten an adjustment when prices went down after I purchased, but the agent at first said there would be a 25% penalty, then said I would be given a "one-time" exception.
Great info.
Thanks for the link!

I use it all the time. I have never used the downstairs shower and I travel cross country just about every year. Often the shower heard will drip and may drip on you while you are using the toilet. I wrap a towel around the shower head after I am finished with the shower and dry off the inside of the shower staff with another towel at the same time. To avoid getting the toilet paper wet, I remove the roll prior to showering and put it back when I am finshed (although there is an enclosure, but sometimes it leaks).
I have lived in Florida all my life and winters in Florida are glorious (9 month summers not so much).
Great tips!
Yeah, winter in Florida is awesome compared to Baltimore-
Summer in Florida is NOT for me :)
Thanks for all your information!

As a fellow "snowbird in training" for the last few years, let me offer you some encouragement. The main obstacle to long stays in Florida is escalating car rental costs if you fly or take a conventional train. This is why the Auto Train makes sense, and if I lived where you do it would be a "no-brainer" since you have to contend with driving I-95 as well. Even though our winter stay down there is split between the Panhandle and baseball Spring Training and it is quite a long drive to Lorton at this end, I longingly price it out every year.

There is a lot of information on the Auto Train in this forum - both positive and negative and it's easily searched. There have been some cuts and unusual delays recently, leading to some criticism. If you can afford sleeper accommodation, Amtrak Superliners can be a very civilised way to travel. Since it sounds like you're a couple, the note above about roomettes is correct. Consider two across the hall from each other, so you'd only need the lower bunks. You can sit together during the daytime and sleep comfortably overnight - often at a lower cost than the larger full bedroom which still has an upper bunk. As a sleeper passenger you will also get two decent meals included.

I hope you can work something out and enjoy your trip.
I appreciate the feedback and, after reading all the other comments, I am encouraged.
I read something yesterday that said the meal changes effective in 2020 have put a free glass of wine back on the dinner menu for travelers in sleeper cars.
I found some more updated photos of the superliner bedroom, and I believe it would be roomy enough for me and the misses.
I had seen some photos elsewhere (pinterest?) where the toilet was immediately adjacent to the seat in the cabin - EEW!
But then I found superliner bedroom photos that show a separate fully-enclosed toilet/shower combination, with a sink/mirror/cabinet/ledge on the exterior, and a cubby to hang jackets.
I'm hoping the latter is the correct configuration (seems to match up to the room diagram on the amtrak site)
I'm not that tall, although I am pretty wide :), but the wife is very petite, and I think we could actually sit facing each other, and play cards on the fold down table during our trip.
(We love to play rummy when we travel, even though I think she cheats when she can) !
I'm not sure if we could both fit comfortably in the lower bunk, but I'm not opposed to squeezing into the upper, to make it more comfortable for her.

Thanks again, to everyone, for the informative and welcoming comments. I hope to continue chatting with you all on these forums as I search for more knowledge!
Are there instructions on how to enter a nickname in place of my email name?, and on how to replace my E with a photo or avatar ??

I appreciate the feedback and, after reading all the other comments, I am encouraged.
I read something yesterday that said the meal changes effective in 2020 have put a free glass of wine back on the dinner menu for travelers in sleeper cars.
I found some more updated photos of the superliner bedroom, and I believe it would be roomy enough for me and the misses.
I had seen some photos elsewhere (pinterest?) where the toilet was immediately adjacent to the seat in the cabin - EEW!
But then I found superliner bedroom photos that show a separate fully-enclosed toilet/shower combination, with a sink/mirror/cabinet/ledge on the exterior, and a cubby to hang jackets.
I'm hoping the latter is the correct configuration (seems to match up to the room diagram on the amtrak site)
I'm not that tall, although I am pretty wide :), but the wife is very petite, and I think we could actually sit facing each other, and play cards on the fold down table during our trip.
(We love to play rummy when we travel, even though I think she cheats when she can) !
I'm not sure if we could both fit comfortably in the lower bunk, but I'm not opposed to squeezing into the upper, to make it more comfortable for her.

Thanks again, to everyone, for the informative and welcoming comments. I hope to continue chatting with you all on these forums as I search for more knowledge!
Are there instructions on how to enter a nickname in place of my email name?, and on how to replace my E with a photo or avatar ??
I figured out the avatar!
Now to change my display name...........???

The photo you saw where the toilet was adjacent to the seat was likely a photo of a Viewliner roomette. The restroom on the superliner bedroom is enclosed.

Back