Auto train review

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've taken auto train maybe 6 times. It was like staying in Hilton after motel 6. The free meals, the lack of problem people, metal heads, 90% are seniors. I hate driving, it took me 4 days to get to florida from nyc when I drove. But, last 2 trips, I couldn't do the auto train due to high prices. I usually go for 3 weeks. But it's about 200 for the car, coming back, it will be 260, the ticket for just the seat is a wash roughly, but it's a out 75 in tolls from ling island to lortan and back. Another 80 in gas. So I'm taking train from nyc and renting a car.

I've taken auto train maybe 6 times. It was like staying in Hilton after motel 6. The free meals, the lack of problem people, metal heads, 90% are seniors. I hate driving, it took me 4 days to get to florida from nyc when I drove. But, last 2 trips, I couldn't do the auto train due to high prices. I usually go for 3 weeks. But it's about 200 for the car, coming back, it will be 260, the ticket for just the seat is a wash roughly, but it's a out 75 in tolls from ling island to lortan and back. Another 80 in gas. So I'm taking train from nyc and renting a car.
If you do end up taking Auto Train again in near future, please let me know if the upgraded amenities show up in the sleeper cars.

The new stuff should have appeared in the sleepers on 2/27.
Just got off the AT. I posted a pic of the only "new stuff" = new pillows and a new quilt/blanket. Will be back on next month and we'll see. I don't care about that tray of little bottles that'll be rolling all over the room. I asked my attendant: "Just how many passengers actually do take a shower in the room?". He said:" 1%" !!!

Just got off the AT. I posted a pic of the only "new stuff" = new pillows and a new quilt/blanket. Will be back on next month and we'll see. I don't care about that tray of little bottles that'll be rolling all over the room. I asked my attendant: "Just how many passengers actually do take a shower in the room?". He said:" 1%" !!!
Interesting feedback - I always strive to be part of the 1% :p

Between weather, traffic, accidents, chance of mechanical trouble...if it weren't for the leisurely, stress-free AT, I would never see Florida. P.S. - won't report back on my monthly trips re amenities...will report back when I see them! LOL
RichieRich;
I'm looking ahead to my 2021 trip, and we already booked our southbound voyage. The northbound leg had a significant dip in price towards the end of the last week in January 2021, then went right back up to the higher rate through Feb. 8,2021. Is this a normal trend? Is there a repeatable pattern?
Will there be lower fares available in mid-to-late February?? (That's when I'm planning to return)

...Will there be lower fares available in mid-to-late February?? (That's when I'm planning to return)
Generally...highest fares follow the SnowBird migration, Holidays, and school schedule. In the Summer it seems to be the same price both directions. On my Feb trip last month, the price was dependent on the specific day. Cheapest was leaving Sat. the 8th and returning on Thursday the 27th. I use Amsnag religiously and book accordingly. For instance...this month it was $647 til 3/22 and dropped to $488. Being flexible & retired...I just pick the cheapest down and stay til the cheapest back. Now, on every other month with the niece...have to just buck up and pay whatever it is 'cause she has a very specific day to go & to return. That's why it was $3,600 in Dec! I

Generally...highest fares follow the SnowBird migration, Holidays, and school schedule. In the Summer it seems to be the same price both directions. On my Feb trip last month, the price was dependent on the specific day. Cheapest was leaving Sat. the 8th and returning on Thursday the 27th. I use Amsnag religiously and book accordingly. For instance...this month it was $647 til 3/22 and dropped to $488. Being flexible & retired...I just pick the cheapest down and stay til the cheapest back. Now, on every other month with the niece...have to just buck up and pay whatever it is 'cause she has a very specific day to go & to return. That's why it was $3,600 in Dec! I
Yeah - I'm limited some in my flexibility, and it is for snow-birding.
We can stay into February next year, but probably not into March.
I will continue to watch the Feb. rates pop up throughout March, and hopefully will find a sweet spot!;)
ET:)

On auto now, free continental breakfast was nice I thought it was no free food. Alot people were complaining about np free dinner. Prices dropped after trump's speech but in 2 days already going up

On auto now, free continental breakfast was nice I thought it was no free food. Alot people were complaining about np free dinner. Prices dropped after trump's speech but in 2 days already going up
Did you travel Coach or in a Sleeper?

Back