Auto Train (+Silvers) delay South Carolina 3/5-6

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacorbett70

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I am taking Auto Train 53 from Lorton today and found the northbound equipment shows as stopped just north of Charleston SC with a now-expected arrival 2:50 PM to turn. If no further delays I think it takes a minimum of four hours to turn the equipment. Train 53 shows on the map as having passed 52 at its stopped point, and passed Charleston going south, but no estimated Sanford arrival, just a 'Service Disruption' message. Train 98 (5) cleared the area last night but it appears 97 (5) is at its service stop in Florence.

I don't have answers right now, but I'm hoping to hear something from some friends this afternoon. Mgmt. has contacted the OBS crew scheduled to go south on no. 53, and has told hem to report at a later time. There are many possible reasons, so speculation is probably a waste of time & effort.

Tom

97 may have hit the results of bad weather . A friend had posted on FB last night a weather map showing NC (she lives new Raleigh) expecting a wintry mix between 5 and 7 pm last night.

When 52 hit the tree last night, the windshield was cracked/broken. I don't know the time or location. The train had to run at reduced speed until they got to a place where they could turn the engines to put the trailing unit in the lead.

No. 52 passed Rocky Mount, NC a little bit after 12 noon. NORMAL running time from Rocky Mount to Lorton is about 4 hours. So 4 - 4:30 PM would be a reasonable ETA for Lorton IF ADDITIONAL TIME IS NOT LOST.

Tom

Estimated arrival of #52: 4:30 PM

Some sort of in-station dinner at 7PM

Estimated boarding for #53 9PM

Lunch is planned tomorrow on board about 11AM.

Estimated arrival of #52: 4:30 PM

Some sort of in-station dinner at 7PM

Estimated boarding for #53 9PM

Lunch is planned tomorrow on board about 11AM.
John: So Amtrak is going to feed y'all 3 meals, Dinner in the Station and Breakfast and Lunch on the train?
After reading Tom' s post I edited this to say I think he's correct since he worked this Route so long!

I'm curious if the " Dinner" in the Station will be Pizza or Subway or maybe even Amstew and Snack Packs!

Look forward to your trip report!

Last edited by a moderator:
If past practice is anything to go by, I expect that tomorrow's "lunch" will be the same as the dinner that would have been served aboard the train tonight. It has probably been determined that an onboard meal tonight would have to start much too late to be practical. It might be possible to start a first seating at a reasonable time, but the second, third (and fourth?) seatings would have to start much too late.

Tom

If past practice is anything to go by, I expect that tomorrow's "lunch" will be the same as the dinner that would have been served aboard the train tonight. It has probably been determined that an onboard meal tonight would have to start much too late to be practical. It might be possible to start a first seating at a reasonable time, but the second, third (and fourth?) seatings would have to start much too late.

Tom
Well Tom, with a 9pm boarding, the fourth seating (or even the third seating would be well past 11pm I would think. So I think you are right on that one.

Boarding has been pushed back to ~10-10:30 PM for train 53 (6). The meal was SUBWAY sandwiches, chips, and cans of Pepsi/bottles of water.

Edit: Changed back up to 9:45

Last edited by a moderator:
If the passenger count is anywhere near full, and the first seating began at 9, then the second would start between 10:30 and 11:00 PM. The third seating would begin between 12:30 and 1:00 AM. And if a fourth seating is required, it would begin a bit after 2:00 AM. That's pretty basic math, and it's the reason for sandwiches tonight. That way, tomorrow's midday dinner can be a bit more relaxed and enjoyable. Since boarding didn't actually begin till about 9:45, all those numbers need to be pushed back to about 1 hour later!

Boarded 9:45, inched out of station 10:15, waited for 97 to go ahead, departed 10:30. Announced: Breakfast at usual 6-8am, lunch is three reserved seatings starting about 11am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back