Auto Train Sleeper Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allypet

Service Attendant
I just booked a round trip on the Auto Train. I thought that the Auto Train always uses the Deluxe sleeper car that is shown here: http://www.craigmash...ardiagrams.html

My room assignments for the first trip is Room "B" and Roomette "11" in 5341, however the return trip is Room "A" and Roomette "4" in 5242. I thought that in the Deluxe Sleeper that the AT uses, Roomette 1-10 don't exist and were replaced by Rooms J-N. Am I mistaken?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just booked a round trip on the Auto Train. I thought that the Auto Train always uses the Deluxe sleeper car that is shown here: http://www.craigmash...ardiagrams.html

My room assignments for the first trip is Room "B" and Roomette "11" in 5341, however the return trip is Room "A" and Roomette "4" in 5242. I thought that in the Deluxe Sleeper that the AT uses, Roomette 1-10 don't exist and were replaced by Rooms J-N. Am I mistaken?
It is correct that on a "Deluxe Sleeper," it's all "full bedrooms" (i.e. Room "A" thru "E" and "J" thru "N", in place of the roomettes) on the upper level. However, there is only one Deluxe sleeper in each AT consist. The other sleepers are standard Superliner Sleepers with 5 full bedrooms (A-E) and the roomettes on the other side, upper level.

It is correct that on a "Deluxe Sleeper," it's all "full bedrooms" (i.e. Room "A" thru "E" and "J" thru "N", in place of the roomettes) on the upper level. However, there is only one Deluxe sleeper in each AT consist. The other sleepers are standard Superliner Sleepers with 5 full bedrooms (A-E) and the roomettes on the other side, upper level.
There are actually two Deluxe Sleepers in the usual AT consist car 5241/5341 and 5240/5340. Checkout the Line Number-Consist thread.

There are actually two Deluxe Sleepers in the usual AT consist car 5241/5341 and 5240/5340. Checkout the Line Number-Consist thread.
OK - Perhaps I've only seen "one" because I don't venture into the other portion of the sleeper set. I only go from my room to the diner/lounge and back.

I will check next time.

Thanks, I didn't know they had mixed sleepers on the AT, its been 6 years since I've been on the AT.

In your opinion, since I'm sure the train is pretty much empty, should I try for one type of sleeper car over the other?

Thanks, I didn't know they had mixed sleepers on the AT, its been 6 years since I've been on the AT.

In your opinion, since I'm sure the train is pretty much empty, should I try for one type of sleeper car over the other?
Either sleeper is fine, just try to get to the middle of the car, IMHO it's a bit of of a smoother ride.

Either sleeper is fine, just try to get to the middle of the car, IMHO it's a bit of of a smoother ride.
Agreed... Room "D" or "J" southbound, "E" or "K" northbound, if you're going for a full bedroom. If a roomette, then any of the 1st four should be good, but the view out of 2 & 4 would be the same as a full bedroom, although #1 might be reserved for the SCA.

Disclaimer: (for Alan & Ryan :D :p :) ) "There is a slight chance that a particular sleeper car may be "reversed" (i.e. assembled in the opposite direction - where the bedroom windows do not face the station). But, in all my RTs so far, that has not been the case. The bedroom windows have (for me), always faced the station, and I am confident in re: the bedroom assignments above. The roomettes don't really matter as much, since each seat has a sofa that faces both directions.

OK - Perhaps I've only seen "one" because I don't venture into the other portion of the sleeper set. I only go from my room to the diner/lounge and back.

I will check next time.
No problem Arnold. Like you I don't venture into the other portion of the sleeper set when on the AT. However having made multiple AT trips each year for the past three years I think I have stayed in every sleeper car in the consist.

Except for a period of time after the big AT derailment back in 2002, which wrecked 2 of the 6 Deluxe Sleepers, the AT always runs with 2 Deluxe Sleepers. For maybe 6 months, not really sure just how long, one consist had to run with only 1 Deluxe Sleeper. One of the cars, the A Phillip Randolf, wasn't too badly damaged so it returned to service rather quickly. The other car, the Palm Beach, was badly damaged. It was finally restored early last year to service thanks to the Stimulus funds.

And room #1 is always the attendant's room no matter what. I'm not sure where the attendant for the Deluxe Sleepers stays however, since there is no room #1 in those cars. Not sure if they get a room downstairs or head for another car.

And room #1 is always the attendant's room no matter what. I'm not sure where the attendant for the Deluxe Sleepers stays however, since there is no room #1 in those cars. Not sure if they get a room downstairs or head for another car.
It was a few years ago but the last time I was in a lower level roomette in a Deluxe Sleeper the attendant was assigned room 11. The nice thing about being assigned a roomette in this car is being assured a vacant bathroom :giggle:

Thank you for all the input. I was able to change the deluxe sleeper to bedroom "J" and the regular sleeper bedroom to "D".

Thank you for all the input. I was able to change the deluxe sleeper to bedroom "J" and the regular sleeper bedroom to "D".
They should both be the same kind of "Superliner" bedrooms in either sleeper. I think Amtrak only calls it "deluxe" because there are 10 full bedrooms instead of 5 (but no roomettes).

They should both be the same kind of "Superliner" bedrooms in either sleeper. I think Amtrak only calls it "deluxe" because there are 10 full bedrooms instead of 5 (but no roomettes).
Correct!

Originally Bedrooms were called Deluxe rooms, hence the 6 cars with all Deluxe rooms on the upper level were named Deluxe sleepers. But there is no difference between a Bedroom in a Deluxe sleeper and a Bedroom in any other Superliner II Bedroom. There are a few subtle differences between a Superliner I Bedroom and a Superliner II Bedroom.

Roomettes were called Economy rooms or Standard rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back