Auto Train Upgrades?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone,
I am just wondering how Auto Train upgrades work?
Would I be able to call Amtrak Guest Rewards and ask for an upgrade on my existing coach tickets, I am an AGR member and would like to upgrade my party of 4 to two roomettes, Would I have to pay the difference between the coach tickets and the roomette, or full roomette price?.

Would I also be able to check to see if their is lower bucket fares for the Roomettes, while on the phone with AGR.

Thanks,
Max

The current fare bucket structure for the Auto Train can be found here in Post #36: Long Distance Train Coach & Sleeper Fares (Buckets)

But being already booked in Coach, you may be stuck with whatever the Roomette bucket happens to be on your travel date - unless. . . .

. . . unless you fit into Amtrak's generous no-penalty cancellation policy. If so, you could simply cancel your reservation and re-book one for a low bucket date (found by repetitive searches on the Amtrak website.) At present and without AmSnag to help your search you'll just have to make an individual search for each day of travel that fits your schedule. And there's no guarantee you'll find the lowest bucket being offered.

Do your searching before you call anybody.

Don't cancel your existing reservation. After you find what you want, request that your reservation be modified by an agent to your new accommodation. Your funds will be adjusted for the new reservation with the same number.

Don't cancel your existing reservation. After you find what you want, request that your reservation be modified by an agent to your new accommodation. Your funds will be adjusted for the new reservation with the same number.

Ok, so I will be paying the difference between the 2 fares?

Yes. If the agent wants to cancel instead of modifying the reservation, then request a supervisor or hang up and try again with another agent.

Hmm-m-m-m. I wasn't aware that an existing reservation could be modified so as to start travel on a different date (if necessary to take advantage of the lowest possible sleeper bucket).

But, I've been wrong before!

Hi everyone,
so I called Amtrak Guest Rewards, and was able to modify my existing coach reservation to the Superliner Roomettes for my trip on the Auto Train, I payed the difference, which ended up only being $88.00, so basically I got two SB roomettes for only $44.00. I thought that was a steal.

I want to thank @AG1 for your help during this process and to all who helped on this thread.

Back