Auto train without a car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The toilet is not next to your head. The beds are made up so your feet are at that end.

Let's remember that the OP isn't old enough to drive.
Yet, give him 15 months, then check back...
Car rental agencies won't rent to someone under 18, and many charge extra fees if you're 18-20. The OP is 13. It's going to be at least a few years before the rental car option is... well... an option.
True all around here.. The under age fees are hefty as well.. I rented a car for 3 weeks for NS training... Not cheap... Thanks Mom! :)

Then there is a toilet next to your head, no SSL, and NO FOOD!! Even with food on the SM, I would rather take the train with better views, more comfortable, and a proper dining car, 300 people will not be fed with capacity for 30, of 400 people with a capacity of 70 will be fed and happy.
The toilet is at the other end of the bed. No DINER food on the star.. SM has a diner. But truthfully as someone who has been on the star before the lack of a full service diner.. You're not missing much.. Or that would require the SSL for viewing.

The times I've been on Single Level diners everyone is happy with their food and seating times. I've never ran into any issues.

And the scenery is of pine trees. In the dark. You'll see them just fine from 6 feet lower.

not quite your av. thirteen year old.
Said every 13 year old, ever.
LOL!!!

Couldn't you theoretically book for a car, but then turn up without one.

If anybody asks, say you had an accident or the car broke down or something.

They're hardly going to ask for proof, are they?

And neither are they going to turn you out of the train if you've got a valid booking.
Maybe, but I'll bet they won't refund the cost of the car transport.
Well yes. Having been a bit of a rare mileage basher in my youth, I have thrown away more money than that in various convoluted tricks just to travel rare mileage - and have no regrets.

Some have rented a car and then took it on the Auto Train
This would be my suggestion. :)
It is my understanding that when Auto-Train was new, David P. Morgan (the long-time editor of Trains) flew to Washington to try it out. To comply with the requirement for a vehicle, he rented a car at the airport, specifically stating it would be a one-way rental to Florida. After his Auto-Train voyage, he tried to return the auto in Orlando. He landed directly in hot water..."It's a thousand miles from Washington to here, and you've only got 56 miles on the clock...!" (No unlimited mileage back then...you paid for every mile!) It took some fancy footwork along with ticket receipts and telephone calls to keep them from charging him with odometer tampering....

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on time of year, and the policies of specific companies, they are not all the same. Very often, in order to move cars North or South with the seasons, some rather excellent one way rental deals are offered, usually with some time restrictions. Not all companies are sorry to see almost 1000 less miles on their car.

I'm not sure about the current use of SSL's on the Auto Train. Recent riders can give more accurate information than I can.

As for speed, it's normally 70 mph max.

Find somebody else who is traveling on the Auto Train and be part of their party. That's the best advice I can give.

Tom

Max speed for auto train is 70
In general the maximum speed for Superliner trains is 79MPH. Even in the case of faster segments the dispatch and scheduling restrictions prevent faster movement. Max speed on Texas roads is 85MPH. Outside of the NEC Amtrak is typically the slowest method available regardless of route.

I think there are some short term exemptions to that rule. You can not allow John or Jane to drive the car from Kansas to Tennessee, but think of a tow truck driver or a valet parking lot attendant. Are you going to say "I'll drive it on the truck" or when you pull up to the hotel or restaurant "I'll park the car myself, even though there is no self parking lot" just because you did not add them as authorized drivers? I think AT is one of those exemptions.
You really think a car rental company (or a judge/jury if you took it that far) would see a five minute five dollar valet move as similar to booking a two day five hundred dollar Auto-Train trip?

Okay the Traveler, should I let the rental car company that I am taking it on board Amtrak Auto Train? Will they authorize that? Or better not to say anything? But like I said what if the car is damaged (or worse totaled in a derailment), then what??
Then Amtrak pays off the damage to the vehicle just like any other vehicle, it's just that the rental company that owns the car will get the settlement rather than the driver.
These are two completely different events from a legal perspective. Amtrak owes you whatever their contract of carriage dictates and you owe the rental company whatever the rental contract stipulates. Even if you purchased the loss damage wavier an Auto-Train derailment is not going to be covered and even if Amtrak ends up paying you the same as the rental agreement requires, you'll still get hit for loss of use fees from the time of the original return date until whenever Amtrak's insurer pays. That could be weeks or even months if there is some sort of dispute as to liability. If you have several thousand dollars in legal fees sitting around you can fight the terms of contract in court but your chances of winning are limited.

Of course, if one is riding on an AT that has a derailment bad enough to damage the automobiles, the damage to the rented car may be way down one's list of immediate concerns.
It's hard to argue with the voice of reason. ^_^

To a rental car agency, the value of a car is really what they can sell it for. The traditional model is that they'll never recoup their costs on rental rates and fees alone, but the sale of used cars with meticulous maintenance records is where they make it up. That's not quite the same now, as they're keeping cars in service much longer, but resale value is still key to actually making any money, along with discounted fleet purchasing.
Rental companies are required by law to be transparent with previous use as a rental car. Nobody in their right mind assumes a rental car has been treated well by rental car customers. The resale value is often discounted as a result. However, rental car companies have found ways to turn even the slightest mistake or misunderstanding into a secondary revenue stream. If you doubt me read your next rental agreement carefully. It can be rather eyeopening to say the least.

Car rental agencies won't rent to someone under 18, and many charge extra fees if you're 18-20. The OP is 13. It's going to be at least a few years before the rental car option is... well... an option.
In my experience several rental car companies refused to rent to anyone below 21 at any price and substantial additional fees applied until I reached the age of 25.

It is my understanding that when Auto-Train was new, David P. Morgan (the long-time editor of Trains) flew to Washington to try it out. To comply with the requirement for a vehicle, he rented a car at the airport, specifically stating it would be a one-way rental to Florida. After his Auto-Train voyage, he tried to return the auto in Orlando. He landed directly in hot water..."It's a thousand miles from Washington to here, and you've only got 56 miles on the clock...!" (No unlimited mileage back then...you paid for every mile!) It took some fancy footwork along with ticket receipts and telephone calls to keep them from charging him with odometer tampering....
When the Auto-Train was new? You mean 1971? A lot has changed since then.

It all depends on time of year, and the policies of specific companies, they are not all the same.
On the surface the US retains a robust car rental market with many major players.

1. Alamo

2. Avis

3. Budget

4. Dollar

5. Enterprise

6. Hertz

7. National

8. Thrifty

9. Zipcar

Unfortunately the US car rental market has long since reached the point where competition is more illusion than reality.

1. Avis owns Budget and Zipcar

2. Hertz owns Dollar and Thrifty

3. Enterprise owns Alamo and National

Max speed for auto train is 70
In general the maximum speed for Superliner trains is 79MPH. Even in the case of faster segments the dispatch and scheduling restrictions prevent faster movement. Max speed on Texas roads is 85MPH. Outside of the NEC Amtrak is typically the slowest method available regardless of route.
I think there are some short term exemptions to that rule. You can not allow John or Jane to drive the car from Kansas to Tennessee, but think of a tow truck driver or a valet parking lot attendant. Are you going to say "I'll drive it on the truck" or when you pull up to the hotel or restaurant "I'll park the car myself, even though there is no self parking lot" just because you did not add them as authorized drivers? I think AT is one of those exemptions.
You really think a car rental company (or a judge/jury if you took it that far) would see a five minute five dollar valet move as similar to booking a two day five hundred dollar Auto-Train trip?
Okay the Traveler, should I let the rental car company that I am taking it on board Amtrak Auto Train? Will they authorize that? Or better not to say anything? But like I said what if the car is damaged (or worse totaled in a derailment), then what??
Then Amtrak pays off the damage to the vehicle just like any other vehicle, it's just that the rental company that owns the car will get the settlement rather than the driver.
These are two completely different events from a legal perspective. Amtrak owes you whatever their contract of carriage dictates and you owe the rental company whatever the rental contract stipulates. Even if you purchased the loss damage wavier an Auto-Train derailment is not going to be covered and even if Amtrak ends up paying you the same as the rental agreement requires, you'll still get hit for loss of use fees from the time of the original return date until whenever Amtrak's insurer pays. That could be weeks or even months if there is some sort of dispute as to liability. If you have several thousand dollars in legal fees sitting around you can fight the terms of contract in court but your chances of winning are limited.
Of course, if one is riding on an AT that has a derailment bad enough to damage the automobiles, the damage to the rented car may be way down one's list of immediate concerns.
It's hard to argue with the voice of reason. ^_^

To a rental car agency, the value of a car is really what they can sell it for. The traditional model is that they'll never recoup their costs on rental rates and fees alone, but the sale of used cars with meticulous maintenance records is where they make it up. That's not quite the same now, as they're keeping cars in service much longer, but resale value is still key to actually making any money, along with discounted fleet purchasing.
Rental companies are required by law to be transparent with previous use as a rental car. Nobody in their right mind assumes a rental car has been treated well by rental car customers. The resale value is often discounted as a result. However, rental car companies have found ways to turn even the slightest mistake or misunderstanding into a secondary revenue stream. If you doubt me read your next rental agreement carefully. It can be rather eyeopening to say the least.
In my experience several rental car companies refused to rent to anyone below 21 at any price and substantial additional fees applied until I reached the age of 25.

When the Auto-Train was new? You mean 1971? A lot has changed since then.
It all depends on time of year, and the policies of specific companies, they are not all the same.
On the surface the US retains a robust car rental market with many major players.1. Alamo

2. Avis

3. Budget

4. Dollar

5. Enterprise

6. Hertz

7. National

8. Thrifty

9. Zipcar

Unfortunately the US car rental market has long since reached the point where competition is more illusion than reality.

1. Avis owns Budget and Zipcar

2. Hertz owns Dollar and Thrifty

3. Enterprise owns Alamo and National
Some of those acquisitions are fairly recent.
Heck, the ownership was often really weird. At one time Hertz was owned by Ford, as well as RCA and the parent of United Airlines. Dollar/Thrifty was owned by Chrysler.

As far as the condition of rental cars go, I've found they're almost universally in good working order. If something needs fixing, it gets fixed. Granted there will be scratches, but they're maintained pretty well. I also don't know of that many people who would abuse a rental car, for fear of being charged for any damages. They're almost always clean, which isn't a given for most used cars. And I mentioned fleet sale discounts. For years the Ford Taurus was the #1 selling car in the US, and fleet sales were what made that possible.

As I understand it, the Auto Train's 70 mph speed limit is dictated by the length of the train, as well as the ride characteristics of the Auto Carriers. These factors are not present on other Amtrak Superliner trains.

When the train accelerates or brakes, there are horizontal fore-and-aft forces (called "buff" and "draught") that may not be too noticeable on a shorter train, but are magnified as the train length increases. A consistently smooth ride at high speed is a challenge to maintain on a long train. Auto Train's regularly assigned engineers have developed their skills to a high degree, but speeds above 70 miles per hour have been deemed inappropriate. Maybe something will change to make them practical in the future.

Tom

Superliners on the Southwest Chief are permitted to travel 90 mph in many locations.

Superliners on the Southwest Chief are permitted to travel 90 mph in many locations.
post-3930-0-09842200-1460660472.png

Tom, isn't the braking system used on the Auto Train different too from the regular Amtrak trains?
The Auto Train has Direct Release Brakes. Like a freight train. Graduated Release is what passenger equipment would normally use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If someone books a ticket with a vehicle but doesn't actually bring one, will they be let onboard? In other words, can Amtrak deny boarding to someone just because they don't have a vehicle with them?

If someone books a ticket with a vehicle but doesn't actually bring one, will they be let onboard? In other words, can Amtrak deny boarding to someone just because they don't have a vehicle with them?
I cant answer that (call Amtrak)But....I imagine if you were willing to pay for a car anyway, that they might let you travel....a pretty expensive way to get to ride that train, if you just wanted to experience it...

I cant answer that (call Amtrak)But....I imagine if you were willing to pay for a car anyway, that they might let you travel....a pretty expensive way to get to ride that train, if you just wanted to experience it...
If I remember correctly (it has been a while), you check in first with your car and are given a number. You may have to show that number when you check in inside the station to get for dinner reservations.

Back