Auto train without a car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish the Silver Star or Meteor would originate in DC so they could use Superliner equipment The Sightseer Car is such an improvement over the lounge/cafe car and makes the journey so much nicer,but most people wouldn't care what equipment they used and would be inconvenienced by the train change in DC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Amtrak Forum mobile app

AFAICT it will be difficult to check in without a car.
Just walk in through the entrance lane and hand them a toy car of the same make and model with doll sized luggage shoved inside.

Good Lord, why would anyone want to?
Completionists?

thinking-face_1f914.png

The only problem is that there is very little to see between Washington DC and Florida unless you ware a forest expert. :p It would be a waste of an SSL IMHO. And I do travel this route rather often. ;)
And even that isn't that interesting. Its all the same kind of trees! You can't even seen that far either, because of the topography. You see the trees immediately outside the window.

Just print this out https://goo.gl/maps/emQLkvaAms92and tape it to your window, then pretend you're six feet higher up. SSL in the South Experience!

The OP's question has been answered but on a lighter note a friend of mine just had his car go off to Lorton and he stayed behind in Sanford. After he checked in, his back acted up and the pain was so excruciating that he couldn't get on the train. Needless to say he had to take a cab back to his home in Windermere and wait a day or two for his car to be returned. Amtrak did give him a full voucher for the trip.

I got a friend who doesnt drive because he Has inadequate vision to drive, or thinks he does (he doesnt qualify in NJ, but I think he would in PA). He thinks the Auto Train is an amazing super luxury train that is specifically designed to discriminate against non motorists (he is nearly certifiable) and he wants to see how Amtrak treats an all motorist customer base. I have almost taken him just to show him he is bloody wrong, but the combination of his company overnight and the pain of riding the damned thing, plus the whole being in Florida concept is too much to bear. Anyone know who I am talking about? Lol.

I got a friend who doesnt drive because he Has inadequate vision to drive, or thinks he does (he doesnt qualify in NJ, but I think he would in PA). He thinks the Auto Train is an amazing super luxury train that is specifically designed to discriminate against non motorists (he is nearly certifiable) and he wants to see how Amtrak treats an all motorist customer base. I have almost taken him just to show him he is bloody wrong, but the combination of his company overnight and the pain of riding the damned thing, plus the whole being in Florida concept is too much to bear. Anyone know who I am talking about? Lol.
I think I know. May have something to do with the letters A D P arranged in an appropriate order? ;) you could be completely covered in saliva mist by the time you are done too, coming to visualize such an event :D

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

He thinks the Auto Train is an amazing super luxury train that is specifically designed to discriminate against non motorists (he is nearly certifiable) and he wants to see how Amtrak treats an all motorist customer base. I have almost taken him just to show him he is bloody wrong, but the combination of his company overnight and the pain of riding the damned thing, plus the whole being in Florida concept is too much to bear. Anyone know who I am talking about? Lol.
It is an amazing super luxury train. How many other LD Amtrak trains have meals included for coach passengers? How many other LD Amtrak trains have an actual First Class, instead of a measly Sleeper Class?

Perhaps we have different concepts of luxury. Honestly, I dont like the auto train. However, when I was still going to Florida (my wifes family lives there), the idea of driving any of the offerings from the rental car companies vs my W124 Mercedes was such that I put up with it.

Now that I have a car with working A/C and working cruise control, Id probably just drive. Actually, id Really rather just vacation somewhere I dont need a car at all, but I digress.

He thinks the Auto Train is an amazing super luxury train that is specifically designed to discriminate against non motorists (he is nearly certifiable) and he wants to see how Amtrak treats an all motorist customer base. I have almost taken him just to show him he is bloody wrong, but the combination of his company overnight and the pain of riding the damned thing, plus the whole being in Florida concept is too much to bear. Anyone know who I am talking about? Lol.
It is an amazing super luxury train. How many other LD Amtrak trains have meals included for coach passengers? How many other LD Amtrak trains have an actual First Class, instead of a measly Sleeper Class?
What do you mean First Class vs. Sleeper Class? I don't see any difference between the Auto Train and say the Coast Starlight.... :unsure:

As someone who has taken the Auto Train plenty of times in addition to a number of rides on the CZ, EB, SWC, etc. I can confirm that there is nothing particularly different or more luxurious about the Auto Train in comparison to any other Superliner route. The only interesting thing is the fact that you drop off your car instead of park it at the station. I promise you ain’t missing anything special.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

What do you mean First Class vs. Sleeper Class? I don't see any difference between the Auto Train and say the Coast Starlight.... :unsure:
They don't call it first class though.

Still - I've experienced some iffy "first class" in my day as well as "I could get used to this" first class. The iffy was the Star Ferry in Hong Kong where it was maybe HK$1.20 (about 20 cents) for a first class ride. It only lasted about 8 minutes. If anything it was more like "3rd class" and the other service was "4th class".

IIRC, the Auto Train may have some unique Amtrak cars...don't they have some sleepers with all bedrooms (no roomettes) on the upper level?

Yeah, but it is the same bedrooms as any other Superliner, just more of them. It also has a rather unluxurious set of Superliner Diners converted into lounges on the upper deck, and last time I rode it, smoking rooms on the lower deck, making them rolling ash trays. Dunno what they do now, but luxury is not something I'd associate them with.

They don't call it first class though.
Amtrak seems to think they are calling it First Class now. :D

Here's the top of their latest menu....

2lc0klf.jpg

Back