Autotrain: Car on a tow bar

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

UncleFester61

I'd like to tow my jeep on a towbar behind my Kia SUV and grab the Autotrain for the south half of the trip. I know Autotrain will take trailers but I have gotten inconclusive responses from Amtrak regarding whether it's a trailer or not.

To be clear, the towing equipment is the same you'd use to tow a Jeep behind an RV. Has anyone done this and/or does anyone know if it's allowed?

The website says "small trailers", which I don't think a jeep would qualify as.

Being an actual automobile, it will almost certainly be treated as "just another car".

You have to call to book something like that anyways, so your best bet is to call and ask.

You may be able to tow it to the station and disconnect the towbar - then they can be loaded as separate vehicles by Amtrak (and paid as separate) and then, once unloaded you could reconnect the towbar and drive to your destination.

You may be able to tow it to the station and disconnect the towbar - then they can be loaded as separate vehicles by Amtrak (and paid as separate) and then, once unloaded you could reconnect the towbar and drive to your destination.

I think that is a better idea than trying to keep the two cars connected by a towbar.

Reactions: OBS
If you are traveling with a companion you could make two reservtions that would accommodate two cars but not hitched together. As for one reservation with a single passenger I doubt it but Ryans suggestion to call should provide a definitive answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back