Autotrain Services Drastically Cut?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure with the Superliner equipment. Depending on how many coaches, it may fit on one platform in SFA. I worked the train with the heritage equipment many years ago...
Looking at Google Maps image, which conveniently has a Auto Train at the station, it looks like maybe about 7 Cars in the stub end platform and the rest on the through platform.

I think he means the all-bedrooms-on-the-second-floor sleeping cars (no roommettes), which are unique to the Auto Train. (The bottom floor is the same as the rest of the fleet.)
That is correct, that's what they're referred to as.

When I was on the Auto Train, I had a roomette on the bottom level of a Deluxe Sleeper. Maybe my observation is incorrect, but there seemed to be much less traffic for the restrooms and shower on the bottom level than there usually is on a regular sleeper. And, the bedrooms did appear to be mostly occupied.

When I was on the Auto Train, I had a roomette on the bottom level of a Deluxe Sleeper. Maybe my observation is incorrect, but there seemed to be much less traffic for the restrooms and shower on the bottom level than there usually is on a regular sleeper. And, the bedrooms did appear to be mostly occupied.
Bedrooms have their own facilities, so it would stand to reason that there would be fewer users of common facilities.

@OBS at Sanford they split the train in two for platforming. Do they take the entire Coach section off to place on the other platform track, keeping the Sleepers on the arrival/departure track? Where in the consist do they generally split the train for platforming?
I believe Simply_Railway said in his video that sleepers are on one and coach is on the other.

Back