Back from NYP and BOS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda T

Lead Service Attendant
Well, of all the times I've taken the Cardinal, this was the first time we ever took her north of CVS, and I must say that I've sold her short for too long. I used to think that the only really cool areas were in the NR Gorge area, but I've come to believe that most of her route from Montgomery east is pretty cool. From Montgomery west it's pretty much just farmland, wind power, and cities. I put up with the western route to get to CHI to catch the LD trains.

It seems like when I book trains I wind up getting the same staff both ways. In this case -- that is a good thing. My SCA was Delisa, a very nice lady who had a deep passion for her job, worked hard, but also had time to talk with her pax about their individual needs. I was concerned that getting into NYP 2.5 hours late (just after midnight) that no one would be around to give directions to our hotel. She asked where we were staying and I told her. She then told us which exit to take, which way to turn, etc. and we'd be there. She was right! Her directions were impeccable.

The diner car staff was equally enthusiastic and went out of their way to try and be helpful. I was disappointed that they ran out of breakfast on the 50 into NYP. The LSA John asked us if we'd like a bagel with ham, cheese, and egg, and we could still get orange juice and other beverages. So we took the bagel. For all our other meals we made certain to be there at first call so they'd have something for everyone. I think I heard stuff like at lunch (first serving) they only had 12 salads and 8 hamburgers... I don't know why they were so poorly stocked, but I got everything I wanted after breakfast so it didn't matter to me. :rolleyes: And yes! The citrus berry cake is what I've been looking for for the last year -- it's a regular on the Cardinal both ways! YEA!

I didn't mind the trip being delayed. I had looked to see what the possibilities were based on past performance, and figured on this kind of delay. While there's the joy of being in a sleeper a little longer, there's also the sadness of missing out on a few hours in a bed at the Affinia Manhattan (something we got with our airline points -- gotta use them up eventually!).

It was cool getting to see the train switch from diesel to electric to enter NYC. It was also cool going through the 2.5 mile long tunnel! So many cool factors.

We did go on up to Boston South Station, but we took Bolt Bus (Amtrak can't compete with a $9 fare for two people each way). So we gave it a try. While it is more economical, the seats were more cramped. I'm 5'10 and yet kept sliding out of my seat. The internet wi-fi that they advertise is no better than what I've heard concerning Amtrak's -- basically too slow to be of any use. They ran non-stop between (basically) NYP and right into BOS, they did tend to be pretty much ontime (for the two times we used them), and they also tend to stop at a fast food type place and allow everyone about 10 minutes to get food and bring it onto the bus (or eat at tables if you want to wolf down the food). Overall the drivers were polite and careful at their job. They knew where the traffic was and worked around it. Would I take BB again? Sure, but I'd prefer taking the LSL or some such train with sleepers into BOS next time.

Amtrak I'd give a 10 rating to. Bolt Bus I'd give a 7, only due to the seats not fitting right. Five foot ten shouldn't be an odd size... Well, now to wait till October for the Cardinal to CVS and then down to ATN on the Crescent! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back