Bad Time for Airlines, too

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to be a perfect storm for the travel industry (if not for everything). Domestic travel is up. Airlines and Amtrak are understaffed. Amtrak's premium LD routes were shutdown during peak season. Hotels are understaffed and often sold out. Rental cars are impossible to find if not ridiculously expensive. Shortages in supply chains. Hospitals now near or at capacity. Restaurants and other service industries can't hire enough. Ah, fun times. :)

Looks like the A380 is on its way out with some carriers retiring whole fleets while others will wait for replacements mostly comprised of A350's and B787's.

Malaysia Airlines
Thai Airways
Air France
Hi Fly
Qatar
Etihad
Lufthansa

What a difference a decade makes and I wonder who is next?

Personally I thought the A380 was rather ugly on the outside but was among the best aircraft I ever flew on the inside. Really quiet and comfortable all around.

The big 3 have been shrinking their regional network since way before COVID. So much so that now they are pretty much able to think of completely getting out of the sub-75 seater markets altogether.

Can you imagine what could have survived of the passenger network if the railroads could make such adjustments on an ongoing basis, even while roads were eating into their customer base?

That brings up a question. Did the ICC have a base amount of service that if a RR had it that any train offs above it did not require ICC train off petitions? Mainly thinking of the many seasonal trains but probably other regular trains. Also mail trains. Did there be any action for extra sections?.

Back