Baltimore Penn to Tampa

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone -

We are booked for Amtrak leaving from Baltimore Penn Station going to Tampa FL. We're on the Silver Star #91 ( I think) and looking to get a bit more information that can give us some direction. I've researched quite a bit but seems like most information is older or I can't get specifics that I'm looking for. I'll apologize now for the length and number of questions.

For Penn Station in Baltimore -

We will have checked luggage and will be arriving in a cab. I'm assuming they'll know where to drop us off, but will there be someone available to assist with luggage or are there carts?

I've read that you should arrive early, but the times range from 3 hours to 30 minutes. Any clarification on this would be awesome. How long does it take to check the luggage and then get to where ever we need to go?

I've seen where the stops can be intermittent, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. Is there a set number of stops to be able to get off the train for a few minutes? I realize timing may be based on how on time the train may be, but specifically, looking for those stops that may still allow smoking.

Our train departs at 1:55 PM and arrives at 12:34 PM the next day and we have a roomette. I know meals are included, but trying to figure out which ones during this time frame -- If I read the schedules correctly - it looks like lunch, dinner, breakfast, and lunch.

Arriving in Tampa - we have a car rental where the rental location closes at 2:00 PM - is it realistic that we can arrive and get to the rental before it closes since we had checked luggage? It's less then 2 miles from the station and I've not been able to find any information on how we would retrieve our luggage in Tampa.

I appreciate any information you can provide specific to these two stations.

Thanks.

Smoke stops are in Washington(as locomotives change), Richmond, Raleigh(scheduled for 13 minutes I've seen it pull in fifteen minutes early), Columbia(fifteen minutes usually), Savannah (if on time you might show up an hour early due to padding), Jacksonville( twenty minutes for refueling), Orlando( 14 minutes due to high passenger loads).

If you are checking luggage you MUST have the luggage in the gate agent's hand 45 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of your train. This means that you had better plan to be in line at least one hour before departure. You may also check your luggage up to 24 hours before departure, so if it is more convenient then you could check the luggage in the night before your trip; if you do then you just need to be on the platform before your train arrives. There is no mandatory "check-in" on Amtrak.

You should get the meals that you listed, although if you want to get lunch before Tampa you should try to be in the diner as soon as they open the doors for lunch. If they take reservations for lunch (sometimes), be sure to grab the very first seating; tell the LSA that you're getting off in Tampa.

Less than two hours to pick up your rental car? Better have a plan B. The entire train could easily be two hours late, especially with the weather extremes of recent days. Check with your rental car provider and ask them what to do if you can't make it to the pickup location in time. Often they have an extended hours location in the metro area, usually at an airport. Sometimes they will even reimburse your cab fare. It can't hurt to ask.

I have never used the station in Baltimore, so can't tell you if anyone can assist from the curb. I would arrange to show up a little over an hour before departure - 3 hours would be a waste of time, unless you are into train or people watching. The location of smoke stops can vary. If you step off the train, do not wander very far unless the train arrived very early - it will not leave until the scheduled departure time. However, let's say the schedule calls for a twenty minute stop, but the train is running late. If the station work can be completed in less than twenty minutes, then the train may only be there for ten. You can probably have lunch before arrival Tampa, but it would be early. The stop at Tampa is a bit novel - because it is a dead end terminal located downtown away from any mainlines, the train will back up several miles to reach the station, which is a very attractive old style station in good condition. I have departed from there once. If it was me, I would call your rental car agency in advance and ask what can be done if your train arrives late. ( You might need to have a Plan B. ) I hope this is helpful. Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes.

Re the luggage pickup: At some major terminals like Chicago and Los Angeles they do have a "baggage claim" modeled after the airports'. However, at most stations they will unload your baggage from the baggage car onto a cart, and you will claim your luggage directly off that cart, either at trainside or next to the station building. One thing, though: Amtrak is very firm about matching claim checks before they will release checked baggage, so make sure that you keep your claim checks with you. This is a good thing; it means that you need have very little worries about your luggage "walking" without you. Since it looks as if the Tampa station is open and staffed until 6:15, if you arrive with 30 minutes to spare or so you might want to go directly from your train to a cab for the rental car location, and come back to the station and claim your luggage once you have picked up your car.

I traveled from Orlando to Tampa this week on 91. Although I traveled in coach, I opted to eat lunch in the diner. Reservations for lunch for that train started at 11:30 and the LSA started taking reservations in the sleepers and he then went to coach. I am pretty sure I was the only coach passenger eating in the diner. There was plenty of time to eat lunch. 2 of my tablemates were detraining in Tampa and no one rushed. You know you are getting close to Tampa when the train starts backing up.

The train I was on arrived in Orlando early and left on time. We lost some time between Lakeland and Tampa and arrived in Tampa about 20 minutes late.

Thank you everyone for all this information. It has helped tremendously! We're so excited to be able to try this out and may very well be our preference in the years ahead. It sounds relaxing to be able to enjoy the scenery and meeting folks along the way. It may take a little longer but we're looking forward to the adventure. One thing that has come through everything I've read is to bring your patience along and go with the flow. I just wasn't sure if I needed a plan B for the car rental. It's great to know that we could possibly just hop in the cab to go get the car as well and then come back but we'll get a plan B ready anyway. This is going to be soo exciting! Thanks again.

For Penn Station in Baltimore -

We will have checked luggage and will be arriving in a cab. I'm assuming they'll know where to drop us off, but will there be someone available to assist with luggage or are there carts?

I've read that you should arrive early, but the times range from 3 hours to 30 minutes. Any clarification on this would be awesome. How long does it take to check the luggage and then get to where ever we need to go?
The taxi should drop you off right in front of the main entrance to Baltimore Penn Station at the curb. From there, it is not far through the front door and then bear right to the Amtrak ticket counters, baggage check-in area. Maybe 100' or so. If you need assistance and there is no one outside the front door, just go through the main doors and look around for a red cap. BAL is not that large of a station and is easy to navigate.
The platforms are under the station. There is an elevator down to the platform on the east side of the open waiting area behind the doors. I have seen many people with luggage in tow struggle to carry their luggage down the stairs on the west side down to the platform because they were not aware of or didn't look for the elevator.

Thank you afigg, great info to know. We will have a number of bags for a 2 week cruise so would be difficult to try to manipulate without a cart or Red Cap to help.

Tampa is my home station and I have always been able to have at least a quick Black Bean Burger(my favorite lunch) on the train if on time, a more leisurely lunch if late. The luggage is dropped off outside the station right near the gate entry, may take about 10 minutes if it is a full train.(lots of people get on and off in tampa) :) . They just line it up and let you grab the bags-you will have to show your claim check. If your bags are popular style and color you may want to tie a ribbon or other doodad so you can identify it right away.

Cabs are almost always there, but at front of station.

Usually there are several, and the drivers come back to where you are waiting for your luggage, but if you don't see any go to the front and grab one.They don't stick around for too long. I believe there is also a phone in the station to call.

If you have any more questions about the Star or Tampa, feel free to send me a message.

Most of the Star OBS are outstanding, and go above and beyond to make sure you have a great trip. It is my favorite train to ride because of the excellence of the crew. (Auto Train is only comparable OBS and would be equal except for the drastic cutbacks)

The good SCA's, if you let them know, will notify you shortly before a smoke stop and usually stand outside with passengers, telling you when to get your butt back on board.

Have a great trip.

Most Sleeping Car Attendants will let you know where you can get off to smoke. Stops that are assuredly smoke breaks are Washington (230P South, 315P North), Raleigh (900P South, 845A North), Jacksonville (700A South, 1045P North), Orlando (1015A South, 715P North).

You might want to check around for another car rental location that's open later. Tampa International Airport is only about 8 miles away, which would be a $20 cab fare or so, and there would be no time pressure. Granted, it may have higher taxes, but shop around, Hertz, Enterprise, and Avis all have numerous Tampa Bay locations.

I know you're going on a two week cruise, but be mindful of the 50 lb limit, and 2 checked bags per person. Since Tampa is a major stop I would plan an additional 20-30 minutes after arrival for your bags to be unloaded and available for claim. If time is a factor, you may consider sending one person to rent the car, and the other person wait for the bags. The renter can swing back to the station to collect the other person and the bags. On your way home I would recommend stopping by the station to check your bags in before you return the car.

I am a NYP - various Florida regular.

Disney and cruises in the winter are wonderful.

Today your train is an hour or so late and may make up the time...

2000 flights originating in Chicago are cancelled and all 3 NY airports are currently closed.

You got to love trains!

300,000+ people will be several days late and you will experience the novelty of backing into Tampa station for the first time.

It will take 15 minutes to get your luggage.

I always plan to take a cab to the airport to get a car. If we are on time, no problem, if late, call the local number from the train to see if they will be there.

Many times they will.

If not, call the rental 800 number from the train, tell them the problem and they will honor the deal and give you a car at the airport - sometimes a freebie upgrade.

You may lose a bit of time.

300,000+ people are sleeping on airport floors, missing connections and cruises and you will show your friends your photos of orange trees you took while eating breakfast.

You will never fly in winter again.

Thank you all - this gets us even more excited for this trip! :p I can't begin to describe both the anxiety and excitement, We go with the flow and are very patient but still like to make sure we're informed.

For the Silver Star -- in the roomettes, I've still not been able to figure out for sure -- do we have overhead storage in the roomette? I have no choice but to bring work with me so planned on bringing a small rolling carry on with laptop and paperwork. I don't want to cramp the roomette more then necessary. It looks like there is, but then others have posted pictures where there is not overhead, nor sink / toilet, etc... Also, since we're going from cold to warmer, it looked like a small area to hang a sweater or coat?

Also, do the seats recline a bit at all in the roomettes? I had shoulder surgery last year and still challenging to remain in flat sleeping position. Can we request to have the lower seats left in upright position and just have the top bunk made up?

Last question for now -- is ice readily available. I saw that if we wanted any in the roomette we had to have a container? Should we do this or can we just get it from an ice station as we need it?

Thanks!

The Viewliner roomettes have an overhead storage cubby, high up...it's actually in the space above the hallway. You access it by standing on the toilet cover. It's big enough to hold two medium-size suitcases. There is also a hook to hang a coat or jacket.

The seats do recline, a little, by sliding the base out...i.e., at the expense of knee room. You may certainly request to leave the seats in daytime configuration and use the upper bunk for sleeping and naps...because the Viewliners have upper windows and much more headroom, this is more "do-able" than in a Superliner. However, when you say "we"...roomette berths are not designed to be shared. They are much narrower than even a twin size regular mattress. If you each have your own roomette you will be fine, but if you are sharing one, trust me, you will definitely want both beds made up if you both want to sleep.

Ice is normally available at the coffee station in the hall. There are no "containers" in the hotel sense, but there are normally plastic cups available if you want a drink of ice water or chilled juice.

Thank you ehbowen, no, just one roomette. One on the top berth and then one in the seat was the plan for sleeping. I ask about the ice for being able to put a little in an ice pack for the shoulder, as well then for cold pop / water whenever needed so I didn't know if I should bring a small container of some sort to plan ahead for the evening with the ice.

I planned to be able to put my legs up on the opposite seat, although maybe a slight gap in between, I can more easily sleep that way for the night. In addition, I'll still be technically working during our train adventure and my job requires a 24/7 access so I may need to pull out the laptop and go to work through the night.

You mentioned 24/7 access. I assume you mean cell phone and/or computer connectivity. Be aware that there are areas where cell service is poor or nonexistent, especially in The Carolinas but this is at night.

Since there is only 1 outlet in the roomette, you will want to bring an extension cord with multiple plugs with you. The only outlet is on the wall behind where one person sits.

In the Viewliner Roomette the outlest is actually above the sink platform; so make sure you have a cord about 6 feet long; that way you can run it over the seat next to the sink and along the window, keeping it out of the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you need ice for a sore shoulder I would recommend you go to the Lounge Car. They keep a much larger supply of ice there, and can even provide you a bag for your ice.

I would recommend an extension cord and/or surge protector. I've been traveling with one for a few years now, and it comes in handy not only on the train, but also in airports and in hotel rooms. There's nothing like an older room where there's one outlet and its next to the A/C unit or behind the bed to help you make that realization.

Great to know about the extension cord and / or surge protector, thanks. I typically travel with one to the hotels but didn't think would be needed on the train.

I planned on cell phone data access but good to know there may be places along the route that I won't be able to be reached or logged in if we're having issues. I know, I know, leave it at home, but unfortunately I can't this time... Maybe something will change and we'll have a back up by then, fingers crossed.

Thank you for the ice tip from the lounge car also this way we can pack a couple less items and now replace with the extension cord. :)

You have all been a tremendous help! I'm sure I'll have more questions but would love to hear about the route if anyone wants to share anything we might want to keep an eye out for specifically.

Pine trees. Lots and lots of pine trees.

Leaving Washington, you can see the Capitol and some of the monuments on the right side, then a good view of DCA on the left. A little further down, you can get some nice Potomac River views on the left, but overall the scenery isn't all that exciting.

You have all been a tremendous help! I'm sure I'll have more questions but would love to hear about the route if anyone wants to share anything we might want to keep an eye out for specifically.
In Florida, you will cross the St. Johns River several times. I think that is very scenic. Also, on the left side of the train, after you cross the St. Johns River at Lake Monroe, you will pass the Sanford Auto Train station. If the timing is good, you may see cars being driven off the AT car carriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back