bar near Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northnorthwest

Service Attendant
Any recommendations for a nice bar within walking distance (let's say half a mile or so) of Chicago Union Station? I see there's a place inside (Junction), but am wondering if there's anywhere outside that you liked. It would be nice to stretch our legs a bit and then kill some time on our layover at a nice place.

One week to go...counting down...

Boston Blackies, Stocks & Blondes......or if you want to see some interesting characters Sky Ride Cockatil Lounge....which opens at 7am so you can get your drink on early.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit too far away for you, but we enjoyed our visit some years back to Billy Goat Tavern, the original site near the Chicago Tribune building. Quite a few characters there too. You can travel easily by bus direct from chicago Union station.

Ed :cool:

Boston Blackies, Stocks & Blondes......or if you want to see some interesting characters Sky Ride Cockatil Lounge....which opens at 7am so you can get your drink on early.

Can you actually consume alcohol that early? :eek:

So glad you asked. There is a nice bar with fireplace and good service in the lobby of the JW Marriott, close to Union Station. Across the street from there is the Living Room at the W, with a dark, intimate lounge and good cocktails. These are all a straight walk up Adams St. from Union Station. Further east along Adams you come to the Palmer House, with a lounge and bar on the second floor in a room that you just have to see to believe. One of the greatest interiors in Chicago. Checking googlemaps, they give the distance from Union Station as .7 miles. Very walkable.

You did say "nice" bars but I have to throw in one that is not so nice, if you want local color. That would be the Polk St. Pub. Again not far as the crow flies (0.6 miles per googlemaps) but in the opposite direction from the station, and with a more down to earth pub-like vibe than the others.

A bit too far away for you, but we enjoyed our visit some years back to Billy Goat Tavern, the original site near the Chicago Tribune building. Quite a few characters there too. You can travel easily by bus direct from chicago Union station.

I love Billy Goat Tavern!

Just don't set your drink on the bar. It's slanted (and has a sign with the same warning). If you set your drink down, you could lose it.

There are tables scattered about, so you could always sit at a table while enjoying a cheeseburger and chips.

Billy Goat Tavern is on Lower Michigan, so get off near Tribune Tower, cross the street, and look for these stairs:

billygoat-2_109web.jpg

Just FYI, Billy Goat Tavern is a dive bar, not a nice bar, and it's 1.6 miles from Union Station. Not sure how that would satisfy the OP's criteria, although many folks on Amtrak layovers seem to find their way there and seem satisfied with what they find.

I agree, I have been to the Elephant Castle at least a dozen times.

I usually have the black and blue burger and a couple of cold ones.

Greg

The Berghoff is a classic in Chicago. I've met people for lunch there who were changing trains in CHI.

There is a nice bar with fireplace and good service in the lobby of the JW Marriott, close to Union Station.
I like Elephant & Castle (http://www.elephantcastle.com/) at 111 W. Adams. I also love the Berghoff (http://www.berghoff.com/). Just walk a bit further to 17 W. Adams. Their food is incredible.
The Berghoff is a classic in Chicago. I've met people for lunch there who were changing trains in CHI.
I can confirm the Berghoff, the Elephant & Castle, and the JW Marriott are all reasonably close and any of them will work fine as a waiting spot in any kind of weather. If it were me I'd probably choose the Berghoff. If the weather is poor or you have trouble walking then consider hailing a cab.

......or if you want to see some interesting characters Sky Ride Cockatil Lounge....which opens at 7am so you can get your drink on early.
This sounds like a fantastic dive bar. Will definitely try during my next lengthy Chicago layover.

There is a branch of the Billy Goat easily walkable at Van Buren and Wells. It is not the original, but has the Billy Goat ambience.

But don't expect to see any Second City Performers or Celebs like the original back when the Not Ready for Prime Time Players from SNL hung out there! Just tourists!
Used to be it was the spot for newspapermen, back when they drank a lot. While the Chicago folks from SNL might have gone there occasionally (they were more likely found around Second City in Old Town), NRPTP was a New York creation of the show.

Ceres Cafe located by the Chicago Board of Trade / Chicago Mercantile Exchange has long been a favorite of the trader crowd apparently. They mix some strong drinks as well. They're located at 141 W. Jackson Blvd inside of the Chicago Board of Trade building. But this is only an option for weekdays and early weekday evenings. They open at 6 AM & close at 8 PM on the weekdays and they are closed on weekends. I've been there once right before catching a METRA train when I previously resided in the Chicago area & definitely enjoyed my meal + drink + good service.

Ceres Cafe located by the Chicago Board of Trade / Chicago Mercantile Exchange has long been a favorite of the trader crowd apparently. They mix some strong drinks as well. They're located at 141 W. Jackson Blvd inside of the Chicago Board of Trade building. But this is only an option for weekdays and early weekday evenings. They open at 6 AM & close at 8 PM on the weekdays and they are closed on weekends. I've been there once right before catching a METRA train when I previously resided in the Chicago area & definitely enjoyed my meal + drink + good service.
I've always wanted to check out Ceres, but I can't make it to Chicago on weekdays. :(

I've always wanted to check out Ceres, but I can't make it to Chicago on weekdays. :(
I hear you. I probably won't get to go anytime soon because I'm now residing in Metro Detroit, and I'm usually not in Illinois during the weekdays much anymore. I do get back into Chicagoland to visit family & friends on weekends here & there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back