Bar opens today at Metropolitan Lounge at Moynihan

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just in time for the holidays... the bar opened today and when I walked in there were photographers everywhere... mostly Amtrak brass posting for promotional material. Beer is $9-12, wine is $12 to $16 per glass, and hard liquor straight and mixed drinks run $12-14. They were all 'silly talking' about who would be the first to be thrown out of the lounge for getting drunk! Judging by the prices... that would be an expensive proposition!

BTW just reached Executive level... this morning received a priority number to call and lots and lots of upgrade vouchers. It will be interesting to see what the real difference is between Select Plus and Select Executive is... as it takes twice as many TQP's to reach that very top level.

Today is another travel day... LSL to CHI, EB to SEA, and a local to EUG.

.Wine in the lounge.png

Bar opens in the Metro Lounge at Moynihan.png

Do you know what beers they are serving? Craft? Local? Bottle? Draft? I was unable to read the sign in the photo.

OMG! Party time in the lounge! Francis brings me a charcuterie plate in the lounge to celebrate reaching executive status; as I show him the picture of posing with the wine to post on AU. [Note my Mac on the lower right.] He's now now boxing it up!

[Yup... and that's my Eddie Bauer backpack that's traveled at least a half million Amtrak miles!!!]

Fun day to celebrate the best of Amtrak... !

Thank you Francis!.jpg

Reminds me of a great ad I saw once in Penn Station for Philadelphia tourism: What do you call a $20 cocktail in Philadelphia? Two cocktails.
What do you call a $20 cocktail in Oberlin OH (the place I went to undergrad)?
Drunk

this looks like a wonderful addition to the lounge! NYP is starting to become the best train station in the country, or at least getting close!

mixed drinks run $12-14

This is extremely reasonable for a cocktail in New York City today. In New York I would never expect to pay less than $14-16 for a cocktail in a midtown bar or lounge. Last month in NYC (before the bar in Moynihan was open) I had occasion to visit the Afiori bar in the Langham hotel where all the cocktails run from $20-22. https://hub.binwise.com/print/aifiori_bottle_pdf.aspx?ListId=146 This admittedly is "pricey" in one sense, but not in another -- given the top quality ingredients, the service, the designer aspect and the ambiance of the venue.

By this standard, the prices in the Moynihan lounge (coupled with free food and ambiance) seem quite reasonable.

This is extremely reasonable for a cocktail in New York City today. In New York I would never expect to pay less than $14-16 for a cocktail in a midtown bar or lounge. Last month in NYC (before the bar in Moynihan was open) I had occasion to visit the Afiori bar in the Langham hotel where all the cocktails run from $20-22. https://hub.binwise.com/print/aifiori_bottle_pdf.aspx?ListId=146 This admittedly is "pricey" in one sense, but not in another -- given the top quality ingredients, the service, the designer aspect and the ambiance of the venue.

By this standard, the prices in the Moynihan lounge (coupled with free food and ambiance) seem quite reasonable.
You can pair that drink with some delightful hot sandwich bites and snacks offered complementary. I greatly enjoyed staying there a few hours and getting work done on the computer.

BTW they have gourmet soft drinks at no charge. Definitely a Flagship lounge!:)

Glad the bar is open, but at those prices I’m thankful you can BYOL on Amtrak. Moynihan is so much better than old NYP- just needs a few tweaks to be a great spot to start a train journey. Well done, Senator Moynihan.

More our speed for a beer is our favorite hangout with great outdoor seating in a nearby town. It offers 2 drafts for $5. But then a small town in FL is not NYC!

Glad the bar is open, but at those prices I’m thankful you can BYOL on Amtrak. Moynihan is so much better than old NYP- just needs a few tweaks to be a great spot to start a train journey. Well done, Senator Moynihan.

More our speed for a beer is our favorite hangout with great outdoor seating in a nearby town. It offers 2 drafts for $5. But then a small town in FL is not NYC!

I didn’t find it overly pricey - you’re going to pay similar or more prices anywhere in Manhattan. For $9 it is a craft beer. Though if you don’t want the Amtrak lounge a couple brew pub type establishments are getting ready to open in Moynihan.

I agree, I was in New York last month and those prices are not out of line for Manhattan. However, if you don't feel comfortable paying in that range, Rudy's (a genuine dive bar) isn't that long walk of a walk at 9th and 44th and they have very cheap drinks.

The "Santa Fe chicken" sandwiches that are part of the free food offerings at the Met Lounge are really tasty.

I also took the advice of getting really nice salad at Moynihan's Met Lounge to take aboard the Lake Shore to replace the very sad little flex dining salad.

The service staff at Moynihan's Met Lounge seemed impressively good to me. Friendly, fast, and very service oriented.

Last edited:
Brainstorm! If there are AU'ers traveling in the area it might be nice to enter meet in the lounge and connect; only difficulty is access... as sleeper, 1st class Acela, or Elite Plus or Elite Executive... am not sure if there is a way to arrange through the AU site
and / or if Plus / Executive is allowed to bring in guests. Just a thought. I will be there again Wednesday, Jan 18 waiting for the LSL to start my trip back west... will be staying just across the street at the Fairfield Inn... a perfectly convenient place.

Hoping that that magical Moynihan station is the beginning of a great renewal program for Amtrak!

Back