Quantcast

BART in SF Bay Area finally gets new cars next year .

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

BCL

Conductor
bout time their fleet is 40 years old.
Not really. Any of the original cars in the fleet only have their original shell with all the mechanical and electronic components replaced. The C cars were variously made by Alstom and Morrison-Knudsen in the late 80s to 90s.

MARC Rider

Conductor
Why the new cars then
Well, they are 30 years old. They're replacing the Acelas, and they're only 20 years old.

But I think the real transit longevity champs are the PATCO trains that run from Philly to south Jersey. The service started in 1969, and I believe they're still using the original rolling stock.

joelkfla

Lead Service Attendant
Well, they are 30 years old. They're replacing the Acelas, and they're only 20 years old.

But I think the real transit longevity champs are the PATCO trains that run from Philly to south Jersey. The service started in 1969, and I believe they're still using the original rolling stock.
This is opening a can of worms, but Boston's MBTA is still running 1945 PCC streetcars on the Ashmont–Mattapan High-Speed Line. That's in regular commuter service, not a touristy historic line. Wikipedia says the cars have been in continuous revenue service since they were built for MBTA.

railiner

Conductor
This is opening a can of worms, but Boston's MBTA is still running 1945 PCC streetcars on the Ashmont–Mattapan High-Speed Line. That's in regular commuter service, not a touristy historic line. Wikipedia says the cars have been in continuous revenue service since they were built for MBTA.
You know you're going to get some responses...😁

I'll start...
This one may be considered "touristy" for sure, but it always has, and still does serve as basic transportation...

PaTrainFan

Service Attendant
We could invike the old line here, "They don't make them now like they used to." 😉

MARC Rider

Conductor
You know you're going to get some responses...😁

I'll start...
This one may be considered "touristy" for sure, but it always has, and still does serve as basic transportation...
Well, going back to San Francisco, there's the F Market St & Wharves that runs heritage streetcars, and, of course, the cable cars.

joelkfla

Lead Service Attendant
Well, going back to San Francisco, there's the F Market St & Wharves that runs heritage streetcars, and, of course, the cable cars.
But those definitely fall within the touristy category.

I know people do ride the cable cars to work (I myself actually did for a couple of years, which was really cool), but they are a National Historic Monument, and charge inflated fares for tourists.

And the F line grew out of the Market Street Trolley Festival (or something like that). Only a couple of the cars are SF originals; the rest were purchased surplus from other transit agencies to be restored specifically for that line.