Bay Area Hotels

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-Jamie-

Service Attendant
My boyfriend and I would like to take a trip up to the Bay Area from LA in August... we're looking for a decent hotel near an Amtrak station and also near other commuter trains like BART. Does anyone have any recommendations? We're not going to have a car and we don't want to have to take a cab, so something either within a safe walking distance from Amtrak, or across from a BART station that we can connect to is preferred. Thanks!

My boyfriend and I would like to take a trip up to the Bay Area from LA in August... we're looking for a decent hotel near an Amtrak station and also near other commuter trains like BART. Does anyone have any recommendations? We're not going to have a car and we don't want to have to take a cab, so something either within a safe walking distance from Amtrak, or across from a BART station that we can connect to is preferred. Thanks!
No BART, but the Woodfin Suites in Emeryville is just a footbridge away from the Amtrak station, is very, very nice and in a decent area. There is good bus service there, so you can get into the City pretty easily.

The General Manager of Woodfin made a post here in April stating that if you mention his name - Peter - when you check in, you will receive a 10% discount on your room. Of course, this is if you make the reservation direct and don't go through Orbitz or another 2nd party.

All the hotels in this list are near some form of rail transit in the Bay Area.

Also remember that Amtrak provides very cheap connecting bus service from its trains into downtown San Fran. So for a few extra bucks it is possible to book your rail trip to the Bay Area and then hop on a special bus that waits for the train's arrival and whisks you across the bay and into San Fran. When it's time to leave, you can reverse things.

I use the Courtyard Inn Downtown Oakland. It's right on the edge of Chinatown, and 1 block from Bart. It's a very short 10 blocks, if that, cab ride from Jack London Square. The Zephyr crews layover there. It's really nice, really convienient and Priceline.com likes them. There is also a full Marriott right across the street.

Since I am currently living in SF, I really do not have that much hotel/motel infromation at hand. however, the take the Amtrak bus across the Bay would be a good place to start. If you can not find reasonable prices in SF, itself, youcan check for places down the Penninsula on the SF side of the Bay. In addition to Caltrain, there is fairly good bus service along the main drags out of SF. Public transportaion system maps anf schedules for all the Bay Area public transit systems can be found on line.

SF Muni does not publish schedules as such, but gives frequencies on their routes. There are real schedules, but only the drivers have them.

Other systems are:

SamTrans - San Mateo County with buses into SF.

Golden Gate Transit - to and within points north of the Golden Gate

AC Transit - East side of Bay, AC is for Alameda and Contra Costa counties.

VTA - San Jose and points north up to Palo Alto and Fremont.

Then, there is

Caltrain down the Penninsula, which does have trains late evenings and weekends,

Altamont Commuter between San Jose and Stockton, rush hour weekdays only

The Amtrak California frequent services between Sacramento and Oakland, with several trains going down to San Jose.

Also, some ferry services across the Bay, some of which can be very scenic given decent weather.

I just stayed at the Waterfront Hotel, .3 miles from OKJ, well within walking distance. Here is a link to the hotel. I was very impressed with them and got a fantastic rate for the two nights I was there (half of what the Woodfin was charging for the same period). They have a shuttle to/from downtown Oakland, BART, and the Amtrak station (if needed). The SF ferry is literally outside their back door.

Thanks everyone! I checked out all of your suggestions, but AlanB's list was the most helpful. The other hotels suggested were nice, but out of our price range. I was able to narrow down the list to 5 or 6 hotels in the $70 range. Now just to pick one. :) Thanks again, everyone!

Thanks everyone! I checked out all of your suggestions, but AlanB's list was the most helpful. The other hotels suggested were nice, but out of our price range. I was able to narrow down the list to 5 or 6 hotels in the $70 range. Now just to pick one. :) Thanks again, everyone!
That's actually not my list, it was compiled by Kevin Korell (aka SuperlinerDiner).

That's actually not my list, it was compiled by Kevin Korell (aka SuperlinerDiner).
The list you linked me to then. :) Thanks to the both of you!

I just stayed at the Waterfront Hotel, .3 miles from OKJ, well within walking distance. Here is a link to the hotel. I was very impressed with them and got a fantastic rate for the two nights I was there (half of what the Woodfin was charging for the same period). They have a shuttle to/from downtown Oakland, BART, and the Amtrak station (if needed). The SF ferry is literally outside their back door.
Here are some pix. I too thought this to be quite nice & convenient!!!

RF

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/465...57624167447066/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back