BC or Coach on Pennsylvanian in age of Covid?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KeNYC

Traveling from NYP to Pittsburgh on Pennsylvanian. Am vaccinated but at high risk if get breakthrough infection. I'm thinking Business Class will be worth the extra $ because likely fewer passengers in car and more space between seats. I'd opt for the Quiet Car instead, but I don't think this train has one. Any advice from veteran riders welcomed.

Traveling from NYP to Pittsburgh on Pennsylvanian. Am vaccinated but at high risk if get breakthrough infection. I'm thinking Business Class will be worth the extra $ because likely fewer passengers in car and more space between seats. I'd opt for the Quiet Car instead, but I don't think this train has one. Any advice from veteran riders welcomed.
The BC car on the Pennsy is a Regular 2×2 Coach, so I don't think it's worth the $$$ to Upgrade, just go Coach.( as you said, there's no Quiet Car on this Train)

And Masks are Mandatory in Stations and on All Amtrak Trains except when eating and Drinking, and in Private Sleeping Car Rooms!

Remember, since the Cars have Split Seating on this Route, you'll either ride Backwards from NYP-PHL or PHL-PGH depending on where you sit unless you change seats during the 30th St Station Stop in Philly!

Last edited:
Between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh you have a good chance of getting two seats to yourself in BC. Probably more iffy between New York and Philadelphia, between Philadelphia and Harrisburg, 50/50 chance you can be "alone." You're right, there is no quiet car on the Pennsylvanian.

the safest (but costly) would be a single seat reservation in Acela FC, NYP-WAS and roomette on the Cap Limited WAS -PGH Lounge available in NY and WAS to stay away from main waiting....

The BC car on the Pennsy is a Regular 2×2 Coach, so I don't think it's worth the $$$ to Upgrade, just go Coach.( as you said, there's no Quiet Car on this Train)

And Masks are Mandatory in Stations and on All Amtrak Trains except when eating and Drinking, and in Private Sleeping Car Rooms!

Remember, since the Cars have Split Seating on this Route, you'll either ride Backwards from NYP-PHL or PHL-PGH depending on where you sit unless you change seats during the 30th St Station Stop in Philly!
The Keystones might have spit seating, but the Pennsylvanian doesn't. I think you ride backwards from New York to Philly, as I've always ridden facing forward on the segment west of Philly.

Between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh you have a good chance of getting two seats to yourself in BC. Probably more iffy between New York and Philadelphia, between Philadelphia and Harrisburg, 50/50 chance you can be "alone." You're right, there is no quiet car on the Pennsylvanian.
We took the Pennsylvanian from PHIL to PItt recently and I bid-up to BC. There were only about 15 or people in the car. This was on a Thursday.

The suggested bid was 30.00 andxI bid 20.00. While sitting in the lounge at Philly i got an email just about 1 1/2 hrs before train came.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back