Bedroom downgraded to Coach a week before departure

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just searched on YouTube, and it looks like as of two days ago trains 3 and 4 are back to standard capacity with seven superliners and even a bag. Only ten days ago they were running with just six cars, no bag. They had a number of private cars come on and off during that time, at one point even having three in tow. Did they take off a sleeper just to accommodate for all the private varnish? I guess I wouldn't be surprised if there was a motive power or engineer shortage to answer for that. At least it looks like thing may be looking up again. The Chief appears to be back in pre-pandemic condition. Fingers crossed.
Sort of, they traded a full sleeper for the transdorm and added a coach, which is why the OP is having this issue. Pre-Covid, they ran the transdorm AND two full sleepers.

Doesn’t the zephyr normally run with the 40 (crew dorm), 31 and 32 cars normally?
Yeah, but the lowest sleeper and the transdorm appear to be relatively safe. It is the second sleeper line they seem to be removing when they have to pull a sleeper fairly consistently, which is why I said 31 (32 on the CZ) is the endangered one. I hesitated to call out 40 as the universal number for the transdorm, as they tend to use 32 for it on the Builder, though the Starlight and SW Chief it is 40 (when those trains have those. The transdorm assignments seem all over the place these days).

Sort of, they traded a full sleeper for the transdorm and added a coach, which is why the OP is having this issue. Pre-Covid, they ran the transdorm AND two full sleepers.
Confirm that. I just looked at You Tube and 11 days ago at Buena Park it was 2 standard sleepers, diner, lounge, coach and coach/bag. Someone bagged it this morning at Fullerton and it was baggage, transdorm, standard sleeper, diner, lounge, 3 standard coaches.

Wonder how many roomettes they put into revenue service in the transdorm to re-accommodate passengers in and why the OP could not have been downgraded at least to a roomette. I know the usual is 4, but there are always lots of empty rooms in the transdorms. Of course, they could not intrude on the soil sacred to the crew no matter how empty roomettes there are!

Last edited:
Confirm that. I just looked at You Tube and 11 days ago at Buena Park it was 2 standard sleepers, diner, lounge, coach and coach/bag. Someone bagged it this morning at Fullerton and it was baggage, transdorm, standard sleeper, diner, lounge, 3 standard coaches.

Wonder how many roomettes they put into revenue service in the transdorm to re-accommodate passengers in and why the OP could not have been downgraded at least to a roomette. I know the usual is 4, but there are always lots of empty rooms in the transdorms. Of course, they could not intrude on the soil sacred to the crew no matter how empty roomettes there are!
Trans dorms have two more roomettes than a regular sleeper - and the replaced sleeper housed the crew so it would be either the same amount of roomettes or one or two extra depending on whether they kept the second SCA and if the third coach and full baggage comes with an extra coach attendant. Basically the loss of inventory is the bedroom inventory for the replaced car. I have heard of them re-accommodating displaced bedroom passengers in roomettes if available and I've also heard of them giving people doing CHI-LAX a combination of the Zephyr to the Starlight in bedrooms for no additional cost. But of course it depends on availability.

Sounds like in this case the IT side didn't send an immediate notification out to everyone when the change occurred in the system for the summer consist and by the time the OP got notified everything is basically sold out. I think at the end of the day the major faux pax here is the IT side - they need to get a better system in place to notify people immediately...though perhaps one reason they haven't yet is to avoid the call center getting slammed all at once for a summer long change. The app can be helpful as you'll get a "Cancelled" in the app immediately which can give you advanced notice to contact the call center and give you a better chance to snag a change. I'm guessing they are only notifying this in groups of a week or so out to avoid the call center getting slammed - but people who saw it in the app immediately would have been able to call in and get it changed.

There would have been 6 to 8 OBS crew on that train, excluding the SCA who has room 1 in the 30 car, depending on whether or not there was a cooks helper and/or a second diner service attendant or not. That leaves 8 to 10 roomettes, ignoring the mid-car Sacred Territory boundary.

The OP was automatically re-accommodated, although in coach. A cancellation is different than re-accommodation, I know, both have happened to me. They generally do not cancel then re-accommodate, they do one or the other. Yeah, if they cancel you these days you have to call to get it straightened away and get back on a train, and it is best to call early, but as I said, it is either one or the other. Your premise is the roomette passengers in the 31 car actually got first crack at the sleeper before a bedroom passenger in the re-accommodation list. Since the train was not running a transdorm before, there were likely no passengers at all manifested in the "40" when the swap took place. And there would have been roomettes enough to accommodate all of the bedroom passengers and then some, with at least 8 roomettes in the transdorm not needed by the crew and 5 bedrooms in the 31. So, yes, there may have been an IT problem and did like for like (roomette to roomette) before they did the much more expensive bedrooms, which I would consider a pretty serious oversight, but Amtrak IT is a clown car so I can readily believe that. They also could have just limited the number of revenue pax in transdorm to the traditional 4 roomettes and the OP drew the short straw for the 5th bedroom. Ignoring the fact that there are 8 roomettes in the rear end of the car, and even if there were 10 crew roomettes needed, with 2 required in the aft end, there still would have been 6 available. Unless Amtrak prevents the horror of a crew member being booked next door to a revenue passenger.

Maximum coach attendent staffing these days is one per 1 1/2 Superliner coaches. The T&E crew generally handles whatever needs to be done on the train side for the baggage car.

Last edited:
Trans dorms have two more roomettes than a regular sleeper - and the replaced sleeper housed the crew so it would be either the same amount of roomettes or one or two extra depending on whether they kept the second SCA and if the third coach and full baggage comes with an extra coach attendant. Basically the loss of inventory is the bedroom inventory for the replaced car. I have heard of them re-accommodating displaced bedroom passengers in roomettes if available and I've also heard of them giving people doing CHI-LAX a combination of the Zephyr to the Starlight in bedrooms for no additional cost. But of course it depends on availability.

Sounds like in this case the IT side didn't send an immediate notification out to everyone when the change occurred in the system for the summer consist and by the time the OP got notified everything is basically sold out. I think at the end of the day the major faux pax here is the IT side - they need to get a better system in place to notify people immediately...though perhaps one reason they haven't yet is to avoid the call center getting slammed all at once for a summer long change. The app can be helpful as you'll get a "Cancelled" in the app immediately which can give you advanced notice to contact the call center and give you a better chance to snag a change. I'm guessing they are only notifying this in groups of a week or so out to avoid the call center getting slammed - but people who saw it in the app immediately would have been able to call in and get it changed.
Won't be much changing to Zephyr as lots of days are sold sleeper and coach on the app this summer. I just checked every day now thru September on Zephyr Chi r
To Sacramento.

We have bedroom reservations on the SWC car 431 the week of 6/27 with a return on SWC car 331 the week of 7/11. (For what it’s worth, these reservations were made in December 2021.) So far, we have not been notified that our bedroom reservations have been downgraded. Rather than wait until two weeks before we are to leave to be notified, who should we contact now to find out if we’ll still have bedrooms for our travel dates?

We have bedroom reservations on the SWC car 431 the week of 6/27 with a return on SWC car 331 the week of 7/11. (For what it’s worth, these reservations were made in December 2021.) So far, we have not been notified that our bedroom reservations have been downgraded. Rather than wait until two weeks before we are to leave to be notified, who should we contact now to find out if we’ll still have bedrooms for our travel dates?
The consist could change again in the fall.

Do you have the Amtrak app? If you’ve been affected it will probably show up on that. Call 1-800-USA-RAIL and they can check for you.

There would have been 6 to 8 OBS crew on that train, excluding the SCA who has room 1 in the 30 car, depending on whether or not there was a cooks helper and/or a second diner service attendant or not. That leaves 8 to 10 roomettes, ignoring the mid-car Sacred Territory boundary.

The OP was automatically re-accommodated, although in coach. A cancellation is different than re-accommodation, I know, both have happened to me. They generally do not cancel then re-accommodate, they do one or the other. Yeah, if they cancel you these days you have to call to get it straightened away and get back on a train, and it is best to call early, but as I said, it is either one or the other. Your premise is the roomette passengers in the 31 car actually got first crack at the sleeper before a bedroom passenger in the re-accommodation list. Since the train was not running a transdorm before, there were likely no passengers at all manifested in the "40" when the swap took place. And there would have been roomettes enough to accommodate all of the bedroom passengers and then some, with at least 8 roomettes in the transdorm not needed by the crew and 5 bedrooms in the 31. So, yes, there may have been an IT problem and did like for like (roomette to roomette) before they did the much more expensive bedrooms, which I would consider a pretty serious oversight, but Amtrak IT is a clown car so I can readily believe that. They also could have just limited the number of revenue pax in transdorm to the traditional 4 roomettes and the OP drew the short straw for the 5th bedroom. Ignoring the fact that there are 8 roomettes in the rear end of the car, and even if there were 10 crew roomettes needed, with 2 required in the aft end, there still would have been 6 available. Unless Amtrak prevents the horror of a crew member being booked next door to a revenue passenger.

Maximum coach attendent staffing these days is one per 1 1/2 Superliner coaches. The T&E crew generally handles whatever needs to be done on the train side for the baggage car.
So they went from 1 coach and 1 bag coach to 3 full coaches so I suspect they added a coach attendent. If so that means the switch to a transdorm means either the train had the same number roomettes as the previous consist or one extra. The latter would spend on whether the transdorm has a separate SCA or if one SCA is handling both. Almost positive they are selling every roomette in the trans dorm not occupied by crew. Most of the misplaced people I have heard about have been in the axed bedrooms so I suspect the “like accommodation” got booked first roomette to roomette and then if there were some left then they offered those to displaced bedroom occupants. What I don’t know is what the original intended summer consist was - IE did they book for a transdorm AND two sleepers or just two sleepers and then decided to sub the transdorm.

They have not staffed one attendant per coach in many years on the western LDs. The ratio is 1 attendant to 1.5 to 2 coaches. Two attendants for 3 coaches would be normal and that is the figure I used.

As for like to like, I agree that is highly possible, but a bad idea. The passengers in the much more expensive bedrooms should get first crack at remaining sleeper accommodations.

As to what their intended equipment plan was, who can say. But from all indications, whatever plan they had turned into melted down cluster.

Do you have the Amtrak app? If you’ve been affected it will probably show up on that. Call 1-800-USA-RAIL and they can check for you.
We called the Amtrak number and “Julie” confirmed that our SWC bedroom reservations are still in the system as originally made: departing LAX in car 431 during the week of June 27th and departing CHI in car 331 during the week of July 11th.

After listening to “Julie’s” confirmation, we didn’t bother to ask to speak to a live agent since the agent would only repeat the same information that “Julie” had. Unless there is someone in higher authority we could contact to verify whether or not our reservations are subject to being downgraded between now and the last week of June, we are going on the assumption that we’ll have the bedrooms we requested.

We will continue to provide updates regarding any communications we receive from Amtrak about our reservations being downgraded.

Eric & Pat

We called the Amtrak number and “Julie” confirmed that our SWC bedroom reservations are still in the system as originally made: departing LAX in car 431 during the week of June 27th and departing CHI in car 331 during the week of July 11th.

After listening to “Julie’s” confirmation, we didn’t bother to ask to speak to a live agent since the agent would only repeat the same information that “Julie” had. Unless there is someone in higher authority we could contact to verify whether or not our reservations are subject to being downgraded between now and the last week of June, we are going on the assumption that we’ll have the bedrooms we requested.

We will continue to provide updates regarding any communications we receive from Amtrak about our reservations being downgraded.

Eric & Pat
The consist can definitely change between now and your travel date…but if it were me and knowing the current consist, I’d be worried enough to call the highest 800 number you can (AGR or priority are best). It won’t hurt to talk to an agent and confirm your reservation.

We will be traveling less than a week before the 4th of July. We traveled at this same time last year while COVID was still keeping a lot of people from riding Amtrak. Even so, No. 4 was sold out when it left LAX. Ditto from Kansas City to Chicago. We expect it to be even more crowded this year what with the mask mandates lifted and gas prices where they are.

In March, I booked a room on the Cardinal from CIN to CHI on June 2nd. On May 28, I was downgraded to coach and the room fee was refunded. I kept watching the reservations and a room for the 2nd opened on May 31. I called and booked it for the original price I had paid.
I discovered the downgrade when I checked the mobile app and it was flagged with "service unavailable" and the QR was removed. I received no other notification. When I called, the staff had no clue, but decided in conference that this was due to an "equipment change." I thought perhaps it was due to checking the app in the midst of an equipment change, but I don't know.

Well, I ended up booking a trip on the Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington DC, for better or worse, so my brother and I can have some sort of summer train trip. Due to him being in college and me not being able to reschedule a vacation from work very easily, next week is about our only opportunity for vacation. Fingers crossed I'll be able to do another solo trip on something west-coast either this fall or sometime next year. It won't be the same, with the CL not having traditional dining, and no lounge-OBS car, but oh well. Hopefully they don't decide to kick a sleeper off the Capitol Limited next.

I still haven't heard any response from Amtrak after submitting the complaint letter, although I'm not really expecting one. For those wondering, the scheduled SWC trips that got affected for me were a departure from Chicago on June 8, and a LAX departure back to Chicago on June 10. I was informed that this equipment shortage affected all SWC trains both directions for at least that week, although I wasn't told anything other than that. I would second what others have said about periodically calling to confirm your upcoming reservations.

Last edited:
If a rewards member, that phone number usually works much better. It seems they may be the more experienced.

Well, I ended up booking a trip on the Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington DC, for better or worse, so my brother and I can have some sort of summer train trip.
I am glad to hear that you and your brother were able to put together a trip after all. It has been disappointing to read of multiple instances of Amtrak canceling reservations. Hope you have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

Well, I ended up booking a trip on the Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington DC, for better or worse, so my brother and I can have some sort of summer train trip. Due to him being in college and me not being able to reschedule a vacation from work very easily, next week is about our only opportunity for vacation. Fingers crossed I'll be able to do another solo trip on something west-coast either this fall or sometime next year. It won't be the same, with the CL not having traditional dining, and no lounge-OBS car, but oh well. Hopefully they don't decide to kick a sleeper off the Capitol Limited next.

The Capitol Limited is an underrated route, not spectacular like the Western trains but extraordinarily beautiful between Pittsburgh and Harper's Ferry. You'll have lots of daylight to see the sun rise over the faded industrial glory of the Monongahela Valley and then slip into remarkably unspoiled ride next to the Youghiogheny. (The Mon and the Yough, to locals.) Chicago and Washington are both interesting and I'd lobby for a 24-hour stopover in Pittsburgh too. See post at https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/survey-the-10-most-beautiful-cities-in-the-us.80585/post-934702. Yeah, we Yinzers never get tired of boosting our town.

IMPORTANT UPDATE

We called Amtrak again this morning (Sunday, June 5th) and this time asked to speak to an agent. (To do so, we had to request a “call back,” which we received in about 15 minutes.) We spoke with “James” who initially told us that, yes, there had been some changes made to the Southwest Chief sleeping cars, but our bedroom reservations were still good as we’d been transferred to a different car. We thanked him and ended the call. Then a few minutes later “James” called back to say that that the sleeper on SWC No. 4 that we’d been reassigned to had been removed from the train on the date we’d planned to travel, and that Amtrak couldn’t downgrade us because the train was sold out! Needless to say, we had no choice but to cancel our trip. (At least we didn’t have to wait until two weeks before our departure date to learn that Amtrak couldn’t honor the reservations that we’d made and paid for last December!)

So far, we have not been contacted by Amtrak to acknowledge that our reservations were cancelled, to apologize for the inconvenience we were caused, or to let us know if and when we can expect to receive a full refund for the cancelled reservations. (But since this is a Sunday, they might not have a full staff on hand, so we probably won’t hear anything until tomorrow.)

Our connecting trains had been paid for using travel points, so we are now trying to get through to the Guest Rewards agent to cancel those reservations, too. We’ll also have to cancel our hotel and rental car reservations.

We’re now looking to reschedule our trip in the Fall, depending upon the availability of SWC bedrooms. In the meantime, we plan to write some letters to make our dissatisfaction known and possibly obtain special consideration for future Amtrak travel.

We’ll provide updates on how we make out.

Eric & Pat

God-dammme. I love trains but Amtrak is getting more and more mickey-mouse. Who is doing their IT? High school seniors? Is upper management now composed of college interns conducting wild experiments?

What a shame all of this is.

Whatever the reason for not being able to honour reservations (and as I said in an earlier post mine was booked on 22nd Sept 2021 for travel on 12th June 2022) I can see no reason why passengers are being advised so close to their departure dates.

I have seen for some weeks now that the SWC consist had not included 2 normal sleepers and this seems to be why I lost my accommodation. Despite this I got notified just 11 days before I was due to travel and even then the manner in which I was advised (an emailed amended receipt and a revised ticket) was totally unacceptable. Nowhere was there any explanation and I literally had to dig through the document to notice that I had been downgraded to coach.

My bookings were integral to a holiday where there is little to no scope for flexibility - I would imagine that most people booking from overseas would be in a similar position. In effect I could have been left in a situation where I would have had to book replacement (expensive) flights and hotels (abandoning the real purpose of my holiday) if I had not been able to set up an alternative (but not 100% acceptable) plan by phoning an agent from the UK.

I got lucky, within a few hours even the alternative that I "negotiated" would not have been available. (Hopefully I am not speaking too soon - there is still time for that to be scuppered).

God-dammme. I love trains but Amtrak is getting more and more mickey-mouse. Who is doing their IT? High school seniors? Is upper management now composed of college interns conducting wild experiments?

What a shame all of this is.
I love to travel by train. I have done so since the 1950s. I have had many enjoyable trips on Amtrak and VIA and pre-Amtrak and pre-VIA. Some, when there has been a disruption, have turned out to be real adventures. But in recent years I have come not to love Amtrak. It is merely the gauntlet that I have to pass through in order to travel by train.

I love to travel by train. I have done so since the 1950s. I have had many enjoyable trips on Amtrak and VIA and pre-Amtrak and pre-VIA. But in recent years I have come not to love Amtrak. It is merely the gauntlet that I have to pass through in order to travel by train.

Up until recently, this kind of thing almost never happened, now it is suddenly common.

Yesterday, a friend told me she was thinking of taking a long-distance Amtrak trip and what did I think. For the first time ever, I said don’t take Amtrak right now except for short distances in the northeast. I told her they’re downgrading or cancelling people's reservations with hardly any notice, and the whole thing seems to be falling apart. I told her not to take Amtrak til it has a new CEO.

Back