Bedroom downgraded to Coach a week before departure

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,

I just received a phone call and email from Amtrak stating that my round-trip reservation on the Southwest Chief next week has been downgraded from bedroom to coach accommodations both ways due to what was described as an equipment shortage. I was issued a refund in the amount of the difference between coach seats and bedrooms. Has anybody heard anything else like this? I was told that they removed a sleeping car from the Southwest Chief in both directions every day at least that week, and as far as I know, the Southwest Chief has been down to one sleeping car other than the Transdorm lately anyway.

I was not given any explanation, and I was wondering if anybody here has heard anything on the matter. I'm considering trying to book another train trip somewhere, but skeptical at this point, as I don't know if whatever train I book would have its sleepers removed too, not to mention lack of availability a week from now.

Last edited:
I'd cancel the entire trip and find some other means to get there, or reschedule the entire trip at some future date.

However, the reschedule must be done the first time you call and hopefully you could demand to get the same price tickets as you paid...regardless of the fare buckets, etc. You would likely have to talk with a supervisor.

Alternatively, cancel the entire trip and contact Amtrak service <whatever> with a flaming email. And if you don't get a response in a week or so, another flaming email.

In short, I don't take kindly to getting screwed.

Thank you for your reply. The trip was intended as a vacation for my brother and me. We didn't so much care about going to Los Angeles, we just wanted to take the Chief for the experience of the train trip. I'm not sure that I can reschedule anytime this year due to my work schedule. Now with it being a week away, I'm stuck with trying to figure out if I can find a sleeper on a train somewhere else.

Thank you for your reply. The trip was intended as a vacation for my brother and me. We didn't so much care about going to Los Angeles, we just wanted to take the Chief for the experience of the train trip. I'm not sure that I can reschedule anytime this year due to my work schedule. Now with it being a week away, I'm stuck with trying to figure out if I can find a sleeper on a train somewhere else.
I am sorry to hear that your trip has been messed up. If I were you, I would try to book on the California Zephyr or the Empire Builder. Both are great routes. Don't try the Texas Eagle because it has no dining car or sightseer lounge car. One thing is certain, a long trip by coach is not a vacation.

I'd cancel the entire trip and find some other means to get there, or reschedule the entire trip at some future date.

However, the reschedule must be done the first time you call and hopefully you could demand to get the same price tickets as you paid...regardless of the fare buckets, etc. You would likely have to talk with a supervisor.

Alternatively, cancel the entire trip and contact Amtrak service <whatever> with a flaming email. And if you don't get a response in a week or so, another flaming email.

Totally unacceptable. How can this happen? No way would I downgrade to Coach on a two day trip. Demand DOUBLE your money back for this major inconvenience. What crap!yourmonbackQUOTE="Rasputin, post: 960688, member: 14855"]
I am sorry to hear that your trip has been messed up. If I were you, I would try to book on the California Zephyr or the Empire Builder. Both are great routes. Don't try the Texas Eagle because it has no dining car or sightseer lounge car. One thing is certain, a long trip by coach is not a vacation.

In a situation like this, is calling CUSTOMER RELATIONS a better option than calling Customer Service to request a full refund or to rebook a round trip bedroom at some future date without having to pay more?

Hello all,

I just received a phone call and email from Amtrak stating that my round-trip reservation on the Southwest Chief next week has been downgraded from bedroom to coach accommodations both ways due to what was described as an equipment shortage. I was issued a refund in the amount of the difference between coach seats and bedrooms. Has anybody heard anything else like this? I was told that they removed a sleeping car from the Southwest Chief in both directions every day at least that week, and as far as I know, the Southwest Chief has been down to one sleeping car other than the Transdorm lately anyway.

I was not given any explanation, and I was wondering if anybody here has heard anything on the matter. I'm considering trying to book another train trip somewhere, but skeptical at this point, as I don't know if whatever train I book would have its sleepers removed too, not to mention lack of availability a week from now.
At least the OP received a phone call, all I received at 9pm (UK time) was an emailed sales receipt re my SWC trip LA to CHI on 12th June showing me that I was being given a refund. The attached pdf ticket showed that I was now booked coach, not Bedroom as originally ticketed in Sept last year.

On my dime I ended up speaking to an Amtrak agent who explained the changed consist situation and was going to pass me onto Customer Relations. I explained that my journey was originating in Emeryville anyway and that (whilst I was on hold) I saw there was accommodation available on the Zephyr for my date. He ended up booking me from EMY to CHI in a roomette on the CZ (transdorm) with me still retaining the refund for the SWC accommodation, so I in effect am only paying coach fare as "it was Amtrak's problem".

Not what I had planned and booked for, (I wanted to use different routes out and back), but, for me, better than the coach option.

Question: in deciding who to downgrade from sleeper to coach, does Amtrak take into consideration when the reservations were made? (In a perfectly ordered world, someone who made their reservations 6 months in advance shouldn't lose their sleeper to someone who made their reservations 2 months in advance.)
Don't think many would have booked before me.

I booked 22nd September 2021 for Bedroom travel on 12th June 2022 and I have been dumped !

Hello all,

Most of western long distance sleepers are sold out. I got a trip bought in April at the lowest bucket on Zephyr Chi to Sac then on to Seattle. I checked for 2 months going thru every day on the app as Amsnag is gone. It takes a while but saved $1,000 on small bedroom compared to highest bucket.

Just curious: has this type of downgrade happened on east coast overnight routes? From what I'm reading, this seems limited to west coast routes, so far!

I am curious (and concerned, too) since I’m taking the CL both ways in a couple of weeks. I sprung for the luxury of a bedroom both ways since I hurt my leg and am using a cane right now and wanted my own bathroom.

If I’m told at the last minute that I have to sleep in coach, that throws the whole trip off and probably cancels it. I’m traveling with a friend on a long-awaited trip together, and would hate to not do it.

I am leery of booking anything on Amtrak anymore except the regionals, because there are always other options on this crowded east coast.

Just curious: has this type of downgrade happened on east coast overnight routes? From what I'm reading, this seems limited to west coast routes, so far!
This used to happen on 448 and 449 during the collosol multi-year Albany yard reconstruction. I had about four or five Boston - Chicago roomette reservations over several years cancelled sometimes on short notice when a stub train was operated between Albany and Boston. Fortunately, at that time the Boston sleeper was in the New York section and at least I was in a roomette between Albany and Chicago. And fortunately, I was never bustituted during any of those trips.

This happened to me on the CZ last summer from EMY to Chicago. GF and myself were rebooked two days later. Notified two days ahead of time. I was mad as hell and called Amtrak and ranted and raved and got nowhere. Did not even get a voucher.

Call, but be prepared to walk away. This is really lousy for you. Sorry this happened.

We booked a roomette on the CZ next month back in January from Chi-Sac.This trip is an integral part of a train,auto and fly two week trip. In all my years of Amtrak travel and hundreds of trips a cancelation like this has never happened. We will NOT do Coach. With the way things are at Amtrak,who knows.

All I know is I will be livid if they cancel my sleeper a week before our trip.

Did you get a refund between the price you paid minus a coach ticket price on the date when you bought the ticket?

Or is the difference between the price you paid minus a coach ticket price now (likely a smaller refund)?

Airlines do the latter and it really ticks me off.
My original receipt showed the accommodation charge and the rail fare as individual items. I was refunded the total accommodation element as shown on that original receipt.

My original receipt showed the accommodation charge and the rail fare as individual items. I was refunded the total accommodation element as shown on that original receipt.
That seems reasonable. If Amtrak looked after coach passengers the way they do sleeper passengers it might not matter as much, but I find the Amtrak coach experience extremely unappealing on long trips. Too many potential headaches with a staff that tends to treat coach passengers like a burden anytime they ask for something.

Back