Bedroom locations on Silver Service trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim1977

Train Attendant
For my upcoming trip to Florida, on the way down I have Bedroom A, Car 9110, on the Silver Star and coming back I have Bedroom A, Car 9811, on the Silver Meteor. From looking at the viewliner diagrams, I see that bedrooms A and B have the couch facing opposite directions. Are the roomettes always to the front of the train on these two trains? Therefore, that would mean that bedroom A always has the couch facing backwards on both trains? If that is true, I am going to try and call to change to bedroom B (if available). If it is available, will they make that change for me on the phone if I made the reservation online? And will they give me a new barcode or would I still use the same one?

Thanks,

Kim

For my upcoming trip to Florida, on the way down I have Bedroom A, Car 9110, on the Silver Star and coming back I have Bedroom A, Car 9811, on the Silver Meteor. From looking at the viewliner diagrams, I see that bedrooms A and B have the couch facing opposite directions. Are the roomettes always to the front of the train on these two trains? Therefore, that would mean that bedroom A always has the couch facing backwards on both trains? If that is true, I am going to try and call to change to bedroom B (if available). If it is available, will they make that change for me on the phone if I made the reservation online? And will they give me a new barcode or would I still use the same one? 

Thanks,

Kim
The Sleeping Cars are in the rear of the train and typically room H of 9810 is adjacent to the Diner, so the roomettes are at the rear end of the car. But a car being backwards in a consist is not unheard of either, though the intention is I believe to have a vestibule adjacent to the Diner to facilitate emergency evacuation should such be required.

Thanks,

Kim
I do that the couch in Bedroom A is supposed to face forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bedroom A is a little bit smaller than Bedroom B, owing to a slight cut in the outside (vestibule end) corner of Bedroom A. I do believe, however, that the couch in Bedroom A is supposed to face forward.
Bedroom A is only smaller on the Superliner's, not the Viewliners. There is no cut corner on the A room of a Viewliner car, since the H room is at the end of the car.

Kim,

Odds are, but it is far from guaranteed, that if you have the B room then the couch will be facing forward on your train. But if they do put the roomettes first, then having B would find the couch facing backwards. If you want to gamble, and assuming that B is still available and that it doesn't result in a price increase, calling Amtrak can get your room changed regardless of how you booked it.

And no you won't get a new barcode, the current barcode will still work. The barcode only represents the reservation number, not the room or type of accomodation you have.

I travel on the Silver trains quite often and I have never seen the roomettes in the front of the car. I believe bedroom A has the couch facing backwards. I recently made a reservation on the Silver Star and I could have had bedroom A at the lowest bucket, but if I wanted bedroom B, I would have to pay a higher price (almost double). It had something to do with the fact that one car had sold out and the only B's left were in a more expensive car. I got a roomette and might try to upgrade on the train.

Bedroom A is only smaller on the Superliner's, not the Viewliners. There is no cut corner on the A room of a Viewliner car, since the H room is at the end of the car.
Quite right, sorry. Brain fart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back