bedroom on California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ctrimble

I am about to book a trip on the california zephyr but no matter what date i choose, i am not given the option of having a bedroom despite various sites saying that there are bedrooms on this train. I'm always offered a roomette, but i would like a private wash basin & toilet. Surely if there are bedrooms, they can't be sold out on all dates I have checked for next Aug & Sep.

Also I will be doing the Lakeshore Limited between NY & Chicago. Both on that trip & the one on the california zephyr, can i choose the location of my room. I believe you can't do this online, so would I need to phone Amtrak? Presumably this will not be cheap from the UK. Can anyone advise me of the best room numbers as regards noise & movement of the train on both the Lakeshore Ltd & the California Zephyr?

Many thanks,

Carol.

Welcome to AU, Carol! :hi:

I'm not saying this is the problem, but this is a possible cause.

There may be rooms available from say Chicago to Reno, but it may be a room from Chicago to Denver and a separate one from Denver to Reno. When you book online, the computer looks for 1 single room all the way from Chicago to Reno and can't find one. So it says that none are available. However an agent can find one of those for you.

We have members from the UK. Hopefully they will reply with the best way to contact Amtrak. Good luck.

And enjoy your holiday in the US!

Last edited by a moderator:
Carol,

The default on the Amtrak website is to show Roomettes. Just below the price is the word "Change". You must click on that word to get the site to display Bedrooms. Note, it will also toggle through Family Bedrooms. Be sure to select Bedroom for the date you want.

Now, that said, you cannot pick a specific room via the website. It just assigns the next available room to you if you book that way. If getting a specific room is important to you, then you must call Amtrak.

Thanks to you both :) I have now found the bedroom but can't believe the price difference - almost $800 extra for a shower & toilet for 1 night :(

If I do go ahead & book, can I book online & then phone to select the room I want or would I need to book by phone as well?

If I do go ahead & book, can I book online & then phone to select the room I want or would I need to book by phone as well?
You can book online and then call to change the room. It is a bit of a pain, make sure they don't try to change the price. I usually end up having to talk to a supervisor.

Just checking out various dates & prices. Unbelievably it is MUCH cheaper (about $400) to go to LA than get off at Salt Lake City. I intend to go to Vegas & was going to get the bus from SLC to Vegas, but it would be cheaper to go to LA & get the bus to Vegas from there.

Thanks to you both :) I have now found the bedroom but can't believe the price difference - almost $800 extra for a shower & toilet for 1 night :(

You can call to change the room, but I always find it easier to just book with an agent. It would probably be a shorter call just to book it than to change it, which seems to be a more involved procedure.

And yes, that is a typical price differential between a roomette and a bedroom. You also get a much bigger room, and a much better lower berth with the bedroom (the upper berth is the same). A roomette is quite cramped for two.

I advise people unfamiliar with Amtrak wanting to book sleepers to book two roomettes instead of a bedroom unless they just have to have their very own WC. Two roomettes are almost always cheaper than one bedroom. You can request that they be booked across the hall from each other. That way both people have lowers, and have views available out of both sides of the train. Having both sides available is a real advantage considering the CZ's scenary.

You can do either one.

Why not book on line, and if you do not like the rooms you get, then you can call. On the LSL, this train is a single level train and has only 2 bedrooms PRR sleeping car (A and B). Since one of your requests was a private wash basin and toilet in the room, you may wish to consider a Roomette on the LSL. (They have them inside the room.) the best roomettes on these trains are #1 to #8.

The CZ is a 2 level train, with all bedrooms (except the family bedroom) on the upper level, and most of the roomettes on the upper level. (There are also 4 roomettes on the lower level, but access to other cars is only via the upper level. And upper level vs lower level is a personal choice - I prefer upper level but many prefer lower level.) Personally for $800, I would walk to the 1 rest room on the upper level or 3 more on the lower level. IMO, the best upper level roomettes are #2 to #6 (#1 is the sleeping car attendant's room) and the best bedrooms are E, D, C and B (in that order).

Just realised if I go to LA it is the Southwest Chief, not the CZ. The SWC must be cheaper overall than the CZ.

Not really. It most depends on demand for the time you are traveling. Generally, I've found prices on the Southwest Chief to run a bit higher than some other trains like the EB, those being two equivalent length runs I seem to check prices for most often.

The Coast Starlight is priced noticeable higher than equivalent length runs on other Western LDs, though.

Some suggestions:

If you are at all flexible, use the "Amsnag" web site, written by a member here, which will show you a range of dates. You will be amazed at the price difference from day to day.

Even after buying your room, continually (at least weekly), check the prices. If they come down, call Amtrak and ask that they rebook you at the lower price. It can be significant.

Similarly, if you prefer a BR but decide it is too expensive and go with a roomette, keep checking. You can always rebook a BR instead.

Depending on when you make a change, you will get credit back to your credit card or if too late, an evoucher for the full amount of the fare.

me_little_me

Thanks for your very useful advice. I will certainly do as you suggested :)

Carol,

Welcome to AU. I ride the Zephyr from Reno-Chicago and then the Capitol Limited on to D.C when I go east for Christmas. If I were you (I used 8/19/14), I would consider the Zephyr to Emeryville, CA (1 ticket), stay overnight and take Costal Starlight to Los Angeles.(2nd ticket).

You might want to consider the lowel level rooms (Zephyr & Starlight) if you are physically capable of climbing stairs to the upper level to proceed to diner or if not you can have you meal delivered to your room. You did't mention if one or two are traveling. The (3) bathrooms and shower on the lower level I find are not used as much as there are (4) roomettes and (1) bedroom downstairs to share (3) bathrooms and only (1) upstairs for the roomettes to use and they are only 5-7 steps form roomettes 11 and 12 to bathrooms on the lower level.

Using 8/19/14 (my birthday) a Zephyr roomette is $684 (US), bedroom $1,684 and TWO roomettes $1,091. IF there are TWO and you want the space the (2) roomettes (there are 4 on lower level) are a good deal verus the bedroom. On the Starlight it is $213 for roomette, $408 for bedroom and $321 for TWO roomettes. Again if there are TWO, the (2) roomettes beat the bedroom price.

Everyone has their preference and I like the lower level because it is less traffic, bathrooms tend to be cleaner as they don't get as much use, it is easier to hop off at stops to get a fresh air break and the scenery looks as good to me in the lower section as the upper (I have done both). And if you want to get a more expansive view and you are ambulatory you can go upstairs and go the lounge car with the big windows.

If you go with the TWO roomette deal ask for roomettes 11 and 12 OR 9 and 10 and they will be directly across from each other and you can talk with your companion. If you are going alone, the bedrrom price seems too high BUT they may come down.

Be advised that Las Vegas averages 100-115 degrees during the month of August though everything is air conditioned inside. If you are a outdoors type (hiking), mid September to mid October to me is more enjoyable for hiking, visiting Hoover Dam, Red Rock Canyon and other sightseeing.

Enjoy what Nevada has to offer and believe me the Strip only encompasses about (10) square miles of the 900 square miles of Las Vegas valley and very little of Clark County and the many things to do.

Happy traveling

Mike aka NAVYBLUE

Hi NAVYBLUE,

Thanks for your reply. I am travelling alone & my main requirement in choosing a room is quietness as I am a very light sleeper. As you say there is less traffic on the lower level, would it be best to get a room there or would you hear movement from up above?

I wouldn't arrive in LV until 3 Sep so hopefully the worst of the heat would be over. I think I will be there until 19 Sep.

Do you know where I can see a diagram of the layout of the roomettes/bedrooms for both the CZ & Southwest Chief? I saw one earlier today but can't find it again.

And I should add plans for the Lakeshore Limited too please :) I will be doing that journey from NY to CHI.

Hi NAVYBLUE,

Thanks for your reply. I am travelling alone & my main requirement in choosing a room is quietness as I am a very light sleeper. As you say there is less traffic on the lower level, would it be best to get a room there or would you hear movement from up above?

I wouldn't arrive in LV until 3 Sep so hopefully the worst of the heat would be over. I think I will be there until 19 Sep.

Do you know where I can see a diagram of the layout of the roomettes/bedrooms for both the CZ & Southwest Chief? I saw one earlier today but can't find it again.
Carol,

Here you go. This is the lower level floor plan for the Zephyr and Southwest Chief. The pink areas are the (3) bathrooms and shower. The tan area is the family bedroom and blue area is the handicapped room. I gave you incorrect info before about lower level roomette numbers. The downstair roomettes are 11,12, 13 and 14. I feel they are quieter than upstairs BUT not quiet as you do hear the sound as the train goes along the track but is not an unpleasant sound. Since you are on the lower level there is less "sway" left and right and some people find it easier to sleep that way. The swaying doesn't bother me as I rode NAVY ships in bad weather. If you can go up and down stairs to go to the diner, then the lower level might be better for if you want a "quieter" area and I did mention the (3) bathrooms are very close to all (4) roomettes.

Early September to mid Septemeber in Las Vegas will range from 85-95 degrees but like we say "it is a dry heat"

Enjoy your trip

Mike aka NAVYBLUE

Superliner-Roomette-Lower-Level.gif

I am travelling alone & my main requirement in choosing a room is quietness as I am a very light sleeper. As you say there is less traffic on the lower level, would it be best to get a room there or would you hear movement from up above?
Regarding downstairs roomettes and quietness: I've never noticed noise coming the upper deck (the upstairs apartment effect?). They can be very quiet, IF there isn't a noisy family in the family room (especially affects rooms 13 and 14) or there isn't a lot of commotion near the door when the train stops at a larger station during the night (especially affects rooms 11 and 12).

Thanks for your replies everyone. Might it not be better to have thru traffic on the upper level than people boarding on the lower levels at various stops thru the night? Exactly where is the thru traffic going? Also how near is the dining car to the sleepers? And finally :) is there much swaying on the upper level - do people tend to suffer from motion sickness?

Thanks for your replies everyone. Might it not be better to have thru traffic on the upper level than people boarding on the lower levels at various stops thru the night? Exactly where is the thru traffic going? Also how near is the dining car to the sleepers? And finally :) is there much swaying on the upper level - do people tend to suffer from motion sickness?
As has been said here many times, most of us have our Favorite Types and Location of Rooms on LD Trains., there are Positives and Minuses for each but Overall Most Riders Prefer being on the Upper Level on Superliners since the Lounge Car, Diner, Coffee,Juice and Ice station are all Upstairs! Traffic isn't Very Heavy through the Sleeping Cars since Only Sleeping Car Passengers can enter or Pass through the Sleepers! (Exception is the Coach that's added to the End of the Empire Builder between MSP and CHI during Certain Times of the Year!)

During the Winter it can get Really Cold Downstairs during Station Stops when the Door is Open, but the Plus, as has been mentioned, is you are Close to the Luggage Rack, Showers and Restrooms! (There is Only One Restroom Upstairs in Superliner Sleeping Cars!) The Swaying Upstairs is actually Dependent on the Condition of the Tracks but Overall the effect is that of being Rocked to Sleep in a Cradle ! Downstairs has Less sway but you feel more Bumps and Rough Spots in the Tracks and the View Outside isnt as Good!

As for the Diner, it depends on whether the Sleepers are Located on the Front or Back of the Train, on Some LD Trains with the Sleepers in Front the he Diner is Next Door, when they are on the back you can have to Walk through as Many as 6 Cars (Texas Eagle #421/#422, the Boston Section of the Lake Shore L:td. and the Portland Section of the Empire Builder!) The Lounge Car is always Next to the Diner Except on the Empire Builder when it is Located between the Seatlle Coaches on the front and the Portland Coaches on the Rear of the Train!

Thanks, Jim. I'll have to make a decision this week & get it booked. I'm not very good at walking through a moving train & don't fancy a long trek to the dining car. However, I believe I can have the food brought to my roomette/bedroom.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Jim. I'll have to make a decision this week & get it booked. I'm not very good at walking through a moving train & don't fancy a long trek to the dining car. However, I believe I can have the food brought to my roomette/bedroom.

Thanks again.
You certainly should! I am new here, but as I understand it, meals in the rooms, if you are mobility impaired, are standard service. If you can afford a gratuity for the attendants, it would be greatly appreciated, but that service is included with your ticket.

The meals in the dining car are very nice, after spending a few private hours gazing out the windows of my sleeper! I like my private time but enjoy mixing it with conversation with other travelers during meals. I really enjoy breakfast!!!! My day starts with a very early shower, a cup of Java and sitting in the Sight Seer Lounge, watching the sun rise & being one of the early breakfast diners!!!! Man, I'm talking myself into another train ride!!! :eek: Whoooo Whooooo :p

Have Fun

RF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back