Bedroom Orientation for Coast Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
So, I've been devouring posts here and on YouTube to prepare for my April trip...one of my US loop segments is the CS...headed south from Seattle to LAX...I've got bedroom E...

I've seen a few posts in the last 24 hours saying that southbound the bedrooms are on the east (non-ocean view) side...why would Amtrak do that?....seems like just about everybody would want the west side of the train...roomettes have an equal number on each side so both orientations would give 50% ocean views...but for bedrooms it is either 100% or 0% getting ocean views...why not give the bedrooms that side? Seems like a simple customer service thing to make the most passengers happy...

So, I've been devouring posts here and on YouTube to prepare for my April trip...one of my US loop segments is the CS...headed south from Seattle to LAX...I've got bedroom E...

I've seen a few posts in the last 24 hours saying that southbound the bedrooms are on the east (non-ocean view) side...why would Amtrak do that?....seems like just about everybody would want the west side of the train...roomettes have an equal number on each side so both orientations would give 50% ocean views...but for bedrooms it is either 100% or 0% getting ocean views...why not give the bedrooms that side? Seems like a simple customer service thing to make the most passengers happy...
Amtrak turns the whole train at both ends, and occasionally turns a car to keep the axles wearing evenly, so it isn't really that practical to turn everything but the sleepers, then recombine the train every single run.

Yeah, I didn't think of that...so, northbound get the ocean bedroom views...they stay in same alignment and turn the train around so southbound gets the east side in bedrooms...correct?

Yeah, I didn't think of that...so, northbound get the ocean bedroom views...they stay in same alignment and turn the train around so southbound gets the east side in bedrooms...correct?
for the most part, yes, though all cars may not be aligned with the others in the consist... The odds are closer to 50/50 that you would get an ocean view through the window, though the bedrooms still have glass on the other side, for the Aisle, and the wall between the car and the aisle.

I've experienced it both ways although slightly more often on the ocean side headed north and inland side headed south.
Also, one sleeper may be oriented one way and the other the opposite.
No consistency with the consist! ;)

Don't underestimate the value of the Aisle. It's a big reason I prefer Bedrooms to Roomettes no matter what. You can even see out that side a bit from your seat in the bedroom, just leave your door open. Then if the ocean shows up you can scamper into the aisle for a wider view. And, don't you get a mountain view to the East? We were supposed to ride the CS a few years ago Seattle to Sacramento, but when we arrived at the station to board, it had been cancelled due to a landslide on the tracks. Someday we'll try again. Look forward to hearing about your trip!

In the past year and a half (2 trips, 10 trains), I haven't had a problem with that (leaving door open and mask off).
Knock on wood! A lot depends on the crew.
You are lucky. I was on the Silver Meteor from NYP to Orlando in a bedroom and the Air Conditioner was not working. It was cooler to have the door open so I left it open. One conductor (I think the one who boarded in WAS) told me that I could not have my door open unless my mask was fully over my nose and face. The conductor that boarded in JAX was much more sympathetic.

If you're in your room with the door open and no mask on, I'll bring it up with the car attendant and conductor. That's not much different than riding in coach with no mask on.
Seems like a big difference, to me. You're still separated by a wall from people in the next room, who are also several feet away. The number of viruses making it out of your room into the corridor seems unlikely to infect a person in the second it takes to walk by your door.

No problem at all being in roomette maskless in the Cardinal this week, DC to Maysville. SCA was nicely chill about things. Projectile sneezers are supposed to stay home anyway. However, I wasn’t thrilled to see Amish couple hanging out in cafe car maskless, chatting away. I’m guessing they weren’t vaccinated. I’m triple vaccinated, but nevertheless….

Bedrooms and Roomettes are not in COMMON areas such as the SSL - Diner - or coach - - -
Some power prone crew people need to back off being covid police

I would reflect that in tipping as an expression of my disgust for those that don't understand the GREY area of things

Not everyone riding the rails is just off a flight from South Africa

I think I have said enough - absolutely positively overkill to the "Nth" degree !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back