Bedroom vs. Roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Auto Train. Am I right the Superliners have Bedrooms on second level only and ambulation and upper berths would still be problematic? Thanks, Any input appreciated.

Assuming the like meant I had it straight. Yes, that eliminates the though of 2 roomettes opposite each other, which in a VL would include an in room toilet (until the VL2 go into service) It also eliminates the idea of 2 bedrooms with the wall opened up as a "suite", since they are only on the upper level of a Superliner. Best bet is probably H+a lower level roomette for use of the lower bunk... Speak to an agent to obtain maximum discounts that apply for mobility limited/disabilty.

Thanks, I loved the trains when I was younger without health issues but the WC complicates things. We'll figure it out. On the way back last year we flew after the AT derailed and our reservation was cancelled. Bad Karma, though who loves planes and airports?

I think I have it figured out after going to the Amtrak Site. :D On the Auto Train last year I slept in the Accessible Bedroom with my wife and my WC. Watching her climb into the upper berth with her health issues was a Nightmare, for the both of us. I have balance issues and would have difficulties using and getting to public rooms. That leaves us with the Accessible Bedroom + Roomette or Family Bedroom (transport chair), "Holding it" for 17+ hours, or a Adult Diaper and jug. Does that sound right?
The Family Bedroom does not have a toilet in the room, and remember that one of the lower bunks is child-sized.

I have done roomettes across the aisle from each other, or second choice one down from each other. This was significantly less expensive than the bedroom on the SM and EB. I did do a trip on 421, booking ahead, catching a time when the bedroom was a lot less than two roomettes. This is very unusual. M

FWIW (0.0¢) 2 adults each in a high bucket Roomette on the TE is $1105 more than 2 adults in the same low bucket Bedroom on that same train over the whole route.

FWIW (0.0¢) 2 adults each in a high bucket Roomette on the TE is $1105 more than 2 adults in the same low bucket Bedroom on that same train over the whole route.
That's some Expensive Roomettes,!:eek:

I've been able to upgrade to Bedrooms on the Texas Eagle several times on my many trips on my "Home Train" for less than Roomettes were going for, mostly Bedroom "A".

Good Info, we got 2 twins on our adjustable King and will try a dry run. If we both get Makeovers and the light is dim, it might work for a few hours. Thanks 🤣 😷🍺

Back