Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last 10 to 15 years, we have been able to put 3 people in the bedroom (what used to be called a deluxe room). This year while looking on the web site it is telling me that you can only fit 2 people in this room. :angry:

Called Amtrak and talked to an agent and was informed that 3 people were not safe in that room. :angry:

Has any one else seen or heard of this?. And when did this start? Last year we were able to put 3 adults in the bedroom.

In the last 10 to 15 years, we have been able to put 3 people in the bedroom (what used to be called a deluxe room). This year while looking on the web site it is telling me that you can only fit 2 people in this room. :angry:

Called Amtrak and talked to an agent and was informed that 3 people were not safe in that room. :angry:

Has any one else seen or heard of this?. And when did this start? Last year we were able to put 3 adults in the bedroom.
If you are talking Viewliner rooms I believe the only one they will sell you tickets, and include meals, for three people, is Room H~ the accessible room. LSA's have told me you can buy as many tickets as you want for a room but the meal allowance is two to a deluxe room. Sounds reasonable to me.

I don't know of any room, other than the family room, on Superliners where you can get more than two meals per room.

Amtrak has bounced around on the rules for the rooms over the past two years. There was a brief period of time where they absolutely would not book three into a room. That rule was repealed and I've not heard that it has been put back in place again. But many agents aren't always up to speed on things either.

Call back and try again. If the agent tells you no, then ask to speak with a supervisor. They can make the booking for you.

Please do understand though that the room only entitles you to two free meals during each meal period. The third person technically must pay for their meals in the dining car. No don't be shocked if you're not asked to pay. Some crews check, some don't. But again, be prepared to pay since you are not entitled to three free meals.

Amtrak has bounced around on the rules for the rooms over the past two years. There was a brief period of time where they absolutely would not book three into a room. That rule was repealed and I've not heard that it has been put back in place again. But many agents aren't always up to speed on things either.
Call back and try again. If the agent tells you no, then ask to speak with a supervisor. They can make the booking for you.

Please do understand though that the room only entitles you to two free meals during each meal period. The third person technically must pay for their meals in the dining car. No don't be shocked if you're not asked to pay. Some crews check, some don't. But again, be prepared to pay since you are not entitled to three free meals.
hmmm... Traveled on the CZ with my two boys (about 15 and 13 at the time) in a bedroom about 3 years ago as I recall. We all got meals and I don't recall any problem booking the room for 3. Is this a new thing?

hmmm... Traveled on the CZ with my two boys (about 15 and 13 at the time) in a bedroom about 3 years ago as I recall. We all got meals and I don't recall any problem booking the room for 3. Is this a new thing?
Well as I said in my post Robert, this has happened on and off over the last two years. So you would have missed it totally. Besides IIRC, I don't think that the enforcement of only two lasted more than a few weeks. Then there was a period where they tried to discourage anyone from doing it, and it would require a supervisor to override the computer to do it. A regular agent couldn't override.

Now I believe that it's back to any agent can do it, but they are first supposed to warn you that it is not recommended, as the room is really too small to comfortably sleep three adults. And of course they are supposed to tell you that you won't get three meals in the dining car.

Amtrak has two capacities for sleeping car rooms: the recommended capacity and the maximum capacity. For a bedroom, the maximum capacity is three. Amtrak will provide free meals to all passengers booked into a sleeping car room up to the maximum capacity of the room. The bottom line: if Amtrak tickets a group into a room, they will all get meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back