Beech Grove Round II

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 9: Transfer at Washington

I slept thru the stretch stop in Pittsburgh and woke up somewhere on Sand Patch grade East of Connelsville. The room was on the scenic side of the train for the views of Sandpatch. Patrick didn’t wake up till just before Cumberland to enjoy the scenic part of the Capitol Limited. We enjoyed the fresh air stop at Cumberland than I frantically tried ordering a gift for Viktoria before the train left cell service. Which with help from Patrick I managed to barely get it done in time.

After that we walked down to the diner to claim our “breakfast” and took it back to our room to eat. I pointed out scenic highlights along the line such as the spot bartenders used to serve on blue law trains. That spot where the train ducks into Maryland for thirty seconds for a tunnel while both ends are West Virginia. The Capitol Limited is actually a fairly scenic route and with the train being on time there was no need to worry about making the connection.

We took the direct route into Martinsburg instead of the low grade route closer to the river. Patrick and I enjoyed talking and listening to some strange music such as “the star spangled banner hacked by Putin” which is a mixture of the Star Spangled Banner, and the Hymn of the Russian Federation. It’s actually a white interesting piece because it puts our anthem in a minor key which gives a distinctive Russian sound. I pointed out the sights in Harpers Ferry as we pulled to a stop on the westbound main.

After that our attendant took the bedding at Brunswick while I pointed the old Baldwin station to Patrick. Shortly after that I pointed out the most famous Baldwin Station at Point of Rocks. After that we gathered our things and relaxed for the final miles into Union Station. Without having to worry about my connection to No. 91 it was enjoyable looking at metropolitan DC from the Metropolitan Branch.

We arrived into Union Station 27 minutes early at 12:38 which gave us plenty of time to get lunch. We met Malcolm in the head house and walked over to Capitol Southeast to visit the Tune Inn the West Virginia Bar. That is another place my old professor recommended all those years ago. It’s very refreshing to see how everyone on the street knows everyone. It may be a big city but in the neighborhoods and the local places everyone knows each other.

We sat on the street and told Malcolm everything about what we did on the car. And handed over all of the receipts to him for safe keeping after that we just caught up for the hour we could sit there before walking back to Union Station to catch our train. Malcolm needed one more trip to keep his AGR status so he bought a coach ticket on 91 with us to Alexandria to ride in our sleeper for a moment. We waited in the Club Acela for roughly five minutes before it was time to board the Train.

Our power hadn’t been added yet but we still walked the long length of the Silver Star to reach our assigned accommodations. We were in River View/ Iroquois River for our sleeper. Malcolm rode with us to Alexandria but we mostly toured the new Viewliner II sleeper on the ride to Alexandria. After Alexandria Patrick worked on his Christmas cards and I relaxed soaking in the last little bit of daylight. I photographed the alco at Possum Point, pointed out the Pyramid, and other sights on the way south.

At Doswell we looked for sights of Kings Dominion because both Patrick and I are mega roller coaster fans. We even had a discussion of how many parks we could get to using Amtrak without repeating a route. We got it to a 50 day routing hitting over a hundred parks. We had a fresh air stop at Richmond where I took some nice photos in interesting light. After that it was time for the mystery meat special as darkness befell the train as we discussed l sorts of topics.

We talked to our parents for a little bit before we arrived in Raleigh three minutes late. We had just enough time to walk to the head end of the train and back down the platform. We had to make a second spot to allow the baggage to be unloaded because the platform wasn’t long enough for the train. After Raleigh both Patrick and I took a shower in the brand new Viewliner II because we could. The shower is definitely an improvement over the older Viewliners and there is storage located over the shower and bathrooms.

The cars are still missing a linen closet which means regardless of anything else they are flawed cars. Then I slept from Southern Pines to Cassat.

Blue Ridge-3.jpg
The Blue Ridge on Sand Patch Grade

Cumberland.jpg
Cumberland, MD

Potomac.jpg
The Potomac River

MARC GP.jpg
A MARC Standard Cab EMD

30 at WAS.jpg
The Capitol Limited at DC Union Station

WAS Cap.jpg
The Capitol Building

New Bedroom.jpg
The New Bedroom

WT Alco.jpg
The Washington Terminal ALCO

Day 10: The Piedmont

I then woke up again to go thru my home territory because that is important to me. I already detailed going thru my home town once so I won’t bore you with the details. The train arrived in Columbia nine minutes early. Patrick and I then walked up to the head end and photographed the train. I was really pleased with the photo I got there. After that I drove us home and made good time. I took my locals only shortcut home and made it in less than 25 minutes.

After that we slept for about four hours before getting up to drive to Charlotte. Patrick wanted to ride the Piedmont because it is known as one of the best corridors in the country. So we left my house and drove up to Camden. I took Patrick down the main drag to show him the downtown area that was rather cute. After that we got caught behind a slow truck convoy on 521 in the way to Kershaw. I managed to get around the convoy in the town of Kershaw and found a derailment.

ADM derailed their little shop Switcher at their plant. Then we continued up US 521 and found Train No. 14 of the Lancaster & Chester in the rain. Naturally it was going the same direction as us so we gave it chase for a little bit. After losing interest because they are so slow we continued up into NC. Then we took the light rail Lynx train into Uptown Charlotte. From the 9th st station we took a Lyft to the station.

We were taking photos of the train under the skyline in the parking lot when the Station Agent yelled at us calling us terrorists. Now I’ve been coming to the Charlotte station since 1999 and I’ve never had an issue standing in the parking lot taking a photo of a train with both the Amtrak personal and the Norfolk Southern Personal that also use that parking lot. Yet the station agent had no problem with us boarding and the actual crew had no issue with us photographing the train.

The ride on the Piedmont was very fast, clean, and enjoyable. One thing about owning a car is when you see other people’s cars you look at things others don’t look at. I fell in love with the carpets and panels in the piedmont cars. Due to track work we got off the train at the Kerr St Crossing on the far main into the rain. After that I photographed the train departing then Patrick and I had an hour and ten minutes to see the town, get lunch, and catch the southbound train.

We enjoyed walking around the small southern downtown and grabbed a bite from a burger bar. No one really likes tourists in this town. It stopped raining in time for the southbound and we caught it from the platform. Then another quick uneventful ride south. The station agent on the platform when we returned was even nastier than before with his no photos rule. I’m honestly surprised he didn’t call the Charlotte police department. Honestly his behavior makes me angry. While I have hundreds of photos of the Piedmont.

What would he do to a first time rider who might want to take a photo of their first ride? Or a family with a child who likes trains who just want to show their kid a train. The agent forgets he is a brand ambassador for Amtrak and that his actions and words reflect the Amtrak brand.

After that we rode the Lynx to the new end of the line at UNCC. Our ride wasn’t great because it was a fully wrapped car so you couldn’t see out. The ride south at least had clean windows. After getting back in my car I made good time trying to show Train No. 12 of the Lancaster & Chester to Patrick because my good friend Ryan is the conductor on it. We caught up with them in the last mile of No. 12s trip. Then we went over to where No. 16 left their power in the Lancaster & Chester’s livery.

After that we drove down US 321 a four lane road in the middle of nowhere with no traffic. I stopped for gas at Winnsboro and took him to see the circus train cars at Greenbriar on the Rockton, Rion, & Western. After that I drove him by their main yard and then all the way back to home via Blythewood. After that Patrick got to meet my family and we had dinner from Highway 55 a local to the Carolina’s chain.

My dad loves having a new audience for all his military stories and Patrick is too nice to shut him up so I got to hear two hours of my dads old stories. Then we watched Blazing Saddles because Patrick had never seen it before. After that we went to bed.

LC 14-1.jpg
Lancaster & Chester Train No. 14 at Elgin

LC 14-2.jpg
Lancaster & Chester Train No. 14 at Lancaster

Lynx-1.jpg
The Lynx

74 CLT.jpg
The Piedmont at Charlotte

74 SAL.jpg
The Piedmont at Salisbury

SAL Station.jpg
Salisbury Station

SAL Downtown.jpg
Salisbury downtown

75 SAL.jpg
The Piedmont arriving at Salisbury

LC 12.jpg
Lancaster & Chester Train No. 12

LC 16.jpg
Lancaster & Chester No. 16

Day 11-12: Patrick in Columbia

I feel these belong to the trip in a way but not quite enough details to flesh it out too much. On Tuesday I took Patrick downtown to help Danny from the theater I work with take down our outdoor stage. The more hands we have the merrier and seeing Danny is an advisor on the railcar furnishing and decoration it made sense to make the introduction.

The outdoor stage is right under the flight path for the Columbia airport but it was relatively quiet for a change. Today’s mission was to deleg the outdoor stage and load it in Danny’s truck. It took us about two hours to get the entire 40x40 ft stage apart. Then another few minutes to unload it at our warehouse. After that I took Patrick on a tour of downtown Columbia showing him the theater (oldest community theater in the USA), statehouse, and five points.

After that I took him to Rosewood Dairy Bar for lunch which has been in business since WW II and is a local small business with great food. I think he liked that a lot. After that we went to the post office to try and mail his package to his girlfriend but the line was too long. So after showing him the governors mansion, the old Seaboard Station, and the streamlined Greyhound Station we made for northeast Columbia. I showed him the large 1980s style shopping palace I grew up in Columbia Mall. Now it has one store, maybe two and a bunch of vacant lots.

After driving around the massive parking lot we went to the clemson road post office where I had to drop him off in order to get to work on time. While I was working he walked the mile to the Village of Sandhills to the Books a Million. After work I drove over and picked him up and dinner for my family at Maurice’s BBQ the best chicken fingers in the world.

After dinner I drove Patrick out to look at some of the crazy Christmas lights in my area. One of them is so crazy they have a box out front with a sign “donations for my power bill”. Then we watched Silver Streak before going to bed.

The next day we got up early I took him to Bojangles for breakfast and started driving to the Charleston airport for his 11:40 AM flight. I took US 601 into Calhoun county before taking some real backroads to cut to the coast. I must confess I don’t know this portion of my state nearly as well as others and was going off the memory of where I looked up on google. Turns out at Elloree I made a wrong turn onto SC 6 and promptly got lost.

Now I didn’t realize I was lost for awhile. I should have went via Holly Hill but ended up in Eutawville (pronounced like the state). Eventually I found a route back to the road I should have been on US 176. Once we got into Goose Creek we had a thirty minute business call with the railroad renting our railcar starting in June for five years as I navigated Greater Charleston traffic. We managed to see Amtrak’s Palmetto departing for points north before I dropped him off at the airport.

I then circled a few times so I could take photos of all of the B787s in Charleston in all of the liveries visible. Then I drove to Summerville to have lunch with my friend Connor. It was great to see her. It was a lovely lunch where we could catch up for a bit before I had to leave to get home in time for work. I had another nice road trip up US 78 to 178 to Harleyville. At Harleyville I detoured up to Holly Hill to look at a CSX secondary line and found the train but due to time constraints couldn’t photograph it.

Eventually I found a rather odd intersection in the middle of nowhere but made great time. I made it to work with 7 minutes to spare. Not bad considering I drove over half the width of the state.

90 CHS.jpg
Train No. 90 the Palmetto at the new station in Charleston90 CHS-2.jpg
The Palmetto departing Charleston for points north

Southwest Retro .jpg
Southwest Airlines Retro Jet

Saudia and Singapore .jpg
Saudia and Singapore Airlines B787s

Singapore and Vietnam .jpg
Vietnam Airlines and Singapore Airlines

Summerville.jpg
Summerville, SC

Covid Christmas.jpg
A Covid Christmas in Summerville

Thoughts and Prospective

We had a really great trip and I really enjoy spending time with everyone. Patrick is one of my favorite house guests and he is welcome to come back at anytime. We don’t need a gym when we have a theater and a railcar that need work because it is a workout in its own right. We made great headway on our project but still didn’t get nearly as much done as we thought we would. No surprise there however.

We have a few more trips to go on the car. The January trip will be us finishing the brakes, fixing the floor, and refreshing the panels and floor. Thank you for joining us. And I look forward to your comments

So for the final post in this long journey here is some more information about the car, why we chose to do it, and a few other things.

2020 has taught us a lot as a society but also what is important to us. I know for me and I'm pretty certain for the other five best friends I'm doing this crazy adventure with (Brian, Cliff, Malcolm, Nigel, and Patrick) it has taught that life is short and you can't leave things undone. It has been my lifelong goal since I was little to own my own railcar. 2020 has also taught me doing things alone is no fun either as we are all socially isolating from others. So I couldn't imagine a better way to accomplish that goal then to do it with my best friends. It is a crazy adventure I thought I knew a lot about PVs and the rail industry but I'm learning as we start doing this renovation that I really know almost nothing. It is such a challenge to do a normal goal like renovate a bathroom in a house, but nothing comes close to renovating an entire railcar. I'm glad I'm doing it though with my best friends.

Life is short and we must live today because tomorrow is not guaranteed.

History

The car was built by the Budd Company of Philadelphia, PA in 1950 for Union Pacific as a 10/6 Sleeper (10 Roomettes, 6 Double Bedrooms). However it was not built for the flagship trains in the "City of ........." Fleet it was one of 25 cars painted in the Pullman Pool colors (Two Tone Gray like the NYC 20th Century Limited) to be used on secondary trains. It was used on the City of St. Louis as the Portland thru car (St. Louis, MO-Portland, OR), the Portland Rose (Kansas City, MO-Portland, OR), SP's Cascade thru car (Oakland-Portland-Seattle), among other secondary assignments. In 1952 it was repainted in the famous "Streamliner" paint scheme and then used on any of the Union Pacific trains requiring a 10/6 Sleeper.

The car went to Amtrak in 1971 and became part of the original Heritage program sometime in the late 70s, or 80s. It operated up until 1996 when it was withdrawn from revenue service and rebuilt as a crew dorm for the Eastern Long distance trains (Lake Shore Limited, Silver Meteor, Silver Star, Crescent, Three Rivers). The car was retired in October of 2006 and has sat in Beech Grove Shops in Indiana ever since.

Renovation Work and Plans

So far we are very early in the ambitious renovation that we have undertaken.
  • Completed Items
    • Removal of Graffiti
    • Cleaning out of former owners items in the car
    • All of the valves are off and sent for rebuild
    • Cylinders are off the car and sent for rebuild
    • Hall Carpet has been removed
  • Still to be done
    • Reinstalling valves and cylinders
    • COT&S Inspection
    • Refreshing the 10 roomettes
    • Fixing the hole in the floor
    • Putting a new carpet in, and new wall panels
    • Building furniture
    • Installing a 42 KW Generator
    • Removing Amtrak's Paint
    • Re lettering the Car

In January we are hoping to get four of those bullets into the completed items.

For a starter private car this is a very good car because Amtrak has done all of the expensive items in various rebuilds from the under carriage to HEP.

We plan on making monthly trips for a week each month till we are done with a hopeful completion date in April.

Future Plans

The car is under contract to enter service at a tourist railroad in June. As the date gets closer I will post information about the first trip and more info about where it is going.

If anyone has any photos of our car in service we would love to see them and potentially display them in the car. In the past it has been
UP 1430, AMTK 2623, and AMTK 2511 under the name Pacific Park.

If anyone has any questions about the car I would love to answer them. The only things I won't answer is the cost we paid to acquire the car.

I am so happy to be living the dream with my five best friends there is nothing better than that in the entire world.

If you guys are interested I would be happy to keep you updated on the project. It's exciting and fun but a whole lot of work.

Excellent update. You need to write a book my friend... devote the first chapter to the history you've hinted at in your last post, then to the restoration and finally to it going into service. Well done; looking forward to more.
View attachment 20067

I knew there had to be a photo somewhere. Thank you for finding that. I wonder what it is coupled up to looks like some form of a switcher. Looking at the car next to it I assume that's a sister car which leads me to thinking it's maybe the City of Los Angeles at some point where it has thru cars switched in or out.

I've actually been thinking about writing a book about it to hopefully pass on the lessons I've learned from the adventure and help prevent others from making the same mistakes like stripping $50 bolts.

I look forward to keeping everyone updated this adventure. Thanks for all of the kind remarks.

Great report, Seaboard. It amazes me how much you do in such a short time. You certainly have your work cut out for you but it will be a labor of love and very satisfying on that first revenue trip.

As I had told you I had ridden on your car in April of 1966 on UP’s City of Denver/Portland on a spring vacation trip to checkout DRGW trains and the Rockies. It occurs to me that somewhere in my 6000 slides of that era I mIght have a photo of it. One of my many retirement projects.

I wonder why Amtrak doesn‘t schedule the Star or Cardinal so that a passenger can make same day connection using the existing Thruway bus connection to the Cardinal from Richmond and save a layover in Washington.

Great report, Seaboard. It amazes me how much you do in such a short time. You certainly have your work cut out for you but it will be a labor of love and very satisfying on that first revenue trip.

As I had told you I had ridden on your car in April of 1966 on UP’s City of Denver/Portland on a spring vacation trip to checkout DRGW trains and the Rockies. It occurs to me that somewhere in my 6000 slides of that era I mIght have a photo of it. One of my many retirement projects.

I wonder why Amtrak doesn‘t schedule the Star or Cardinal so that a passenger can make same day connection using the existing Thruway bus connection to the Cardinal from Richmond and save a layover in Washington.

If you need help sorting all of your slides I would be happy to help. Besides it would be a lot of fun to see everything else even if we don't find it.

I think the star just needs to be bumped a tad earlier to have that bus connection in Richmond. The issue I would think would be how frequent the star comes out of Florida late. I know there for awhile it was really a poor performer. I don't mind laying over in DC because one of my best friends is there. What I do mind is not getting a choice in the matter. My next trip will involve the Silver Meteor but I'll spend the night mostly because of other interesting things going on in DC at that time frame I think.

Thanks for the offer, Seaboard! But, amazingly, the great majority of those photos are not trains so I'll need to enlist my wife to help. You can be sure if I get to any 'good stuff' I'll let you know.

It would be tough to make a Star-Cardinal conneciton reliable. Since Virginia is taking such an active roll in passenger service, what would be great is a cross platform connection from maybe the Palmetto to a Richmond-Charlottesville-train connecting at Charlottesville with the Lynchburg-Roanoke train - an obvious spot for a DMU (and back in the day, the C&O used an RDC.) Perhaps it could originate in Newport News as the tidewater urban sprawl will soon meet that from Richmond and Charlottesville growth is accelerating too. On a return from the northeast after Christmas we stopped at a hotel in Staunton next to the tracks. For the 12 hours we were there we heard one CSX coal train and saw one grain train, both empties headed west. I am sure the BB has a local in the area too, but the point is that the BB line has little traffic.

This next trip I'm trying to time with the Biden Inauguration because Washington on the Inauguration day is a magical place. That and with Amtrak Joe being famous for arriving by rail to work in Washington I'm betting there will be a POTUS Special on the 19th and I full well intend on being in the area to see it if possible.

I was confused about what the Fifth Third Bank was seeing it’s a skyscraper in the skyline. Wouldn’t that just be the 8th Bank?

It's the result of a merger between the Third National Bank and the Fifth National Bank (and "Third Fifth" sounds like a description of a very heavy drinker). If it happened in these modern times, they'd probably come up with a brand-new incomprehensible name, such as SunTrust and BB&T merging to become "Truist."

Back