Been a while, planning another trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

printman2000

Engineer
My family and I did summer Amtrak trips from 2005 to 2017. We had planned one final trip together (they are both grown now) in 2020, but of course, that did not happen.

So we are trying to work it where we can all do another trip together to New York. Because of time, we will fly there and train back. New York to Fort Worth so will be on the Lakeshore Limited and Texas Eagle. I am disappointed hearing that food service for both will be Flex Dining as some of our best train memories together have been in the dining cars. But whatcha going to do?

Having been out of Amtrak for a few years, was hoping someone could fill me in with some info about how these trains are working now...

LSL - Is there still a Boston sleeper and a New York sleeper that meet up in Albany?
LSL - Does this train get a Viewliner II and if so, which sleeper is it?
LSL - Do they serve the flex in the Viewliner dining cars? And where is it located in the train now? Last time I was on the LSL, the NY sleeper was on the rear, with the dining car right in front of it and a NY baggage car behind it. Of course the dining car then was a cafe car and meals were very bad.

TE - I have seen info like this train is down to only 4 cars? Is that true? What is the consist?
TE - We will board it on a Saturday so looks to not be a 421 day. Where will the 21 sleeper be? Right behind the locomotive?
TE - Does the train offer baggage service? If so I assume it is with a Coach/Baggage car?

Thanks!

LSL
Yes, there’s a sleeper on the Boston section
2 sleepers on the New York section. The 12 car has been the new VLII. As I recall, in 2021, they were on the back followed by the baggage car.
It might depend on the LSA, but I was able to eat the flex meal in the diner on both LSLs in 2021.

I was on the LSL in November.
Sleeper to Boston, 20 car, 1st car. No Boston baggage car.
Diner is just forward of the New York sleepers. Flex dining, sleeper passengers allowed to eat in it and use it as a lounge car.
New York sleepers 11 and 12 are the last passenger cars on the train, followed by the baggage car.
11 was a V II on my trip, but reports here are that is typically a V I
12 is a V II.

No direct experience on the Eagle, but according to reports here and elsewhere, yes, it is pretty bad, no Sightseer, flex dining. It is on my "do not ride" list until it improves, if it ever does.

The Lake Shore Limited tends to run very expensive, and the Texas Eagle has a dearth of amenities as well as mediocre scenery. With air fares as low as they are (I think you are based in the DFW area), you could fly to an origin and from a destination for a small amount compared to the cost of rooms on the LSL. I suggest spending you travel dollars on another train, such as the California Zephyr, which has fantastic scenery, a Sightseer Lounge, and Traditional Dining.

I am using points so it is not really costing anything. And we have no other trips that we would even consider so might as well use the points, even on the LSL and TE.

I had to call AGR to fix a couple of things on my reservation. I asked him if he could also restore full dining car service to both trains just for the days we are one them. He did say, they are working on adding full dining back. He was pretty confident the Texas Eagle would get it in January and maybe a 50/50 chance on the LSL.

I take it all with a grain of salt cause I know what they hear and what actually happens is often different, but at least a bit of hope.

Back