Being Big On A Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooley47

Service Attendant
Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about taking a train across country rather than driving when I move to California. I've always had a fear of flying since I was little, but have always been facinated by trains. Have had sets and sets since I can remember for playing with at the house. In order to save money on fuel and lack of sleep, I thought about taking a train.

I traveled once when I was the age of 10, for a short distance and enjoyed it, and figured it'd be a fun way to see the areas better, as the trains tend to not always be directly next to city traffic (I could be wrong though).

The one problem I have is I am a big guy, I'm 6'4 and weigh 330. While I don't think this will be a problem in the Superliner Bedrooms which I plan to sleep in with a friend, I do wonder how much trouble I would have in the hallways and asiles of the trains.

I've tried finding how narrow the hallways are, but never really could find much information on it, nor about big people being on trains. I figured since I found most of the information I would want/need on this website, you all might be able to help me.

How narrow are the hallways/ stairs? I remember watching one video where an thin/average sized man said he'd hate to be fat in the hallway/stairs. Are the hallways the size of about a stanard door frame? Or perhaps a little smaller? Or are they much narrower?

I'll be riding the 29 Capitol Limited, 3 Southwest Chief and the 715 San Joaquin if that matters.

Thanks for any help, and if there's any information you can give to a new rider I'd appreciate it!

San Joaquin is a California Car. I've seen some pretty big dudes ride with no issue. Now I've also been on Pullman sleepers and a dining car at the California State Railroad Museum. Those were built for thin people.

Right, I knew about the San Joaquin, that'll be the one that connects to the city I have to be in. I wasn't worried about that as much being it's probably a commuter type train.

I think an issue may be the booths in the dining car. They are a tight fit for medium sized people (in my opinion).

I figured they would be, but luckily I have the stomach that gets upset over just about anything I don't make/eat. Plan was to just bring a cooler of foods I know don't upset my stomach so I don't find myself on the toilet the entire time.

Last edited by a moderator:
My M-i-l traveled with me and was around the same weight you are but shorter, so she was wider, not being mean, just explaining. She had her meals in the bedroom because she knew she would probably not fit in the booths in the diner. Otherwise she only had trouble with the narrow bathroom in the bedroom and had to go down and use the handlicapped bathroom in the coach in front of us.

I am close to 300 lbs myself, but I am 5'10" and I fit in the booths, but again, the bathrooms are the issue, as long as I back in I am fine, but turning around is just not possible unless I use the handicapped bathroom. I ride in coach now and usually downstairs if available, but the handicapped bathroom is still the one to use.

No worries about me being offended. Would rather hear it straight up instead of being lied to and or sugarcoated. Working on weight loss, and hopefully will be a little bit thinner by the time I leave (December), but I can't just shed it off within a day of course.

Hearing that helps big time for sure, makes me feel more comfortable. I figured I would have problems in the bathroom. I rememeber them being quite small on a train I had taken one time.

Were there any issues in the hallway or stairs?

As said, my stomach is just weak, gets upset rather easily so I plan on sticking with what I bring.

I've seen many big people on trains walking thru the cars. As was said the booths in the dining car may be tight, but unless you're 7' tall and weigh 600 pounds you should have no trouble moving thru the train.

I am about the same size as you subtracting a couple of inches and have no problems. I think it would be very uncomfortable in regular coach seats if I had to sit with someone of the same size. The heratage diners do have tight booths. I found the superliner booths were much larger. Some of the bathrooms get tights. I find the handicap toilet on the amfleets are actually tighter for a wider person then the regular bathrooms. I think all the Superliners were OK.

Well that makes me feel great then. I appreciate all the responses so far and obviously will appreciate any future ones. Is there anything else I should think about brining besides the cooler and laptop? Pillows I assume are a must?

The rooms have pillows. I personally thought they were good enough. Some will probably say bring your own. Things like that are highly subjective.

I find the pillows fine in the sleepers. I like to travel as light as possible, but due to food allergies, I bring some food with me. I eat in the diner for all the meals and never had a problem with breakfast or lunch, but many times, I have been unable to eat any of the dinner entrees.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm 6'3" and right about 300, I fit in a booth with precious little space to spare.

No issues getting around the train, and my wife and I share the lower bunk in the bedroom, so you should be fine there.

The ensuite bathroom is a little snug (but workable), if it doesn't work for you you can always use the restrooms downstairs.

Haha someone gets the name ;)

Good to know. Again, appreciate the answer.

I'm also 6'3" nearly 300Lbs, I do fine on the train but get a little antsy in the diner. I find the best Amtrak personnel in the diner can judge your size like one of those carnival guys and seat or don't seat a thin person in the seat next to you. Definitely give the dining car a chance, they usually have mild-type food available if your stomach is sensitive. Good to bring an alternative if you're concerned.

Go Eagles! :D
All the way to Last Place! The NFL is not Oregon and Vic is now a Bigger Handicap than Tony Turnover of Jerry's Cowgirls! It's between the Damn Giants and the Redskins! Go RGIII!!! ;) 49ers Will Take it All over the Hoodie and Brady! ("Tebow! Tebow! Tebow"! :help:

I am about as big as you, and there is no problem. I do tend to go down the sleeper hallways sideways, though. It is difficult for adults to pass in those hallways almost regardless of their size. Ettiquette is you look for other people coming down the hall, those that are in the hall have right of way. Stand in the corner or center, where there is plenty of room to pass until the other party passes. Sometimes it takes awhile for newbies to figure that out on any given train trip and there are jam-ups and squeeze-bys in the hall until folks sort themselves out. As a last resort, you can step halfway into a room with an open door to let the clueless by.

Amtrak is much more friendly and comfortable for those that shop at the big and tall store than the airlines.

Well I'm glad the name sparked some NFL talk haha. Nice part about moving to California is the Redskins come in 2014 at least :D

I am about as big as you, and there is no problem. I do tend to go down the sleeper hallways sideways, though. It is difficult for adults to pass in those hallways almost regardless of their size. Ettiquette is you look for other people coming down the hall, those that are in the hall have right of way. Stand in the corner or center, where there is plenty of room to pass until the other party passes. Sometimes it takes awhile for newbies to figure that out on any given train trip and there are jam-ups and squeeze-bys in the hall until folks sort themselves out. As a last resort, you can step halfway into a room with an open door to let the clueless by.
That was my plan the entire time, so glad I'm not a stupid noobie. I guess watching videos of trains online has helped a bit as well. I thought I might have to go sideways or at least at an angle.

Go Eagles! :D
All the way to Last Place! The NFL is not Oregon and Vic is now a Bigger Handicap than Tony Turnover of Jerry's Cowgirls! It's between the Damn Giants and the Redskins! Go RGIII!!! ;) 49ers Will Take it All over the Hoodie and Brady! ("Tebow! Tebow! Tebow"! :help:
The Philly fans have some cruel names for Tony Romo.. All of which if I said on the forum, I'd get in some trouble. So that being said. Those stay in Philly. :p

If it makes anyone feel better, I'm more of a hockey fan.

I am 5'8" 296 lbs. Just rode the Empire Builder (Superliner bedrooms). I crawled into the top bunk no problem. Sat in the diner with just a small bit to spare (stomach was not touching the table edge). So I would think you would be just fine since you are quite a bit taller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back