Berney Arms: Quietest rail stop sees eight-fold passenger rise

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how much of the increase in ridership came from curious viewers of his previous video on least-used stations.
There is definitely going to be some influence to the numbers. Of course, with 2020... that will skew these numbers all over the place.

There is a part of me that would love to try an All The Stations - Amtrak :) but it's probably been done before... and interest would be 'meh' most likely

In 1969 while I was in school at Fort Ord, California, I got the Saturday morning passenger count for the SP Del Monte at our flag stop up from 1 to a high of 10. This was done by distributing paper timetables, posting them on bulletin boards, and letting people know that there was a lounge car with liquor sold on the train.

It was a big percentage increase! Perhaps someone in the Greater Berney Arms area has been conducting a similar campaign.

There is definitely going to be some influence to the numbers. Of course, with 2020... that will skew these numbers all over the place.

There is a part of me that would love to try an All The Stations - Amtrak :) but it's probably been done before... and interest would be 'meh' most likely
I assume you follow Geoff (and Vicki), which I have done since he was single and focused on London transit. He's talked a few times about tackling Amtrak for an All The Stations series. They did Ireland, which has been very useful planning for my upcoming trip there, but I think he's said that the US is just too big and spread out, with far too many stations in remote areas to be practical. He also acknowledged the infrequent trains would make getting off to do local features difficult and costly. Several viewers/readers suggested just the NEC and a few other well-served routes, and they mentioned (on a Q&A during the height of the pandemic) they were seriously considering it.

I assume you follow Geoff (and Vicki), which I have done since he was single and focused on London transit. He's talked a few times about tackling Amtrak for an All The Stations series. They did Ireland, which has been very useful planning for my upcoming trip there, but I think he's said that the US is just too big and spread out, with far too many stations in remote areas to be practical. He also acknowledged the infrequent trains would make getting off to do local features difficult and costly. Several viewers/readers suggested just the NEC and a few other well-served routes, and they mentioned (on a Q&A during the height of the pandemic) they were seriously considering it.
Fantastic -- I do follow them a bit, despite being a darn Yank :)

I haven't seen them both do a video together recently, so I had hoped that they were still together.

Following the rules they used for the UK, it's technically easy. There are only 526 Amtrak stations, and the only trains are all-stops trains on nearly every route. If you insisted on actually getting off at each station, then prohibitively difficult, though.

Last edited:
Back