Best Amtrak Video

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iPat09

Train Attendant
Hey guys,

3 and half months until we leave on our biggest Amtrak trip to date, and the days are going by slower and slower. Since our trip is going to be 10 days long, I will be videoing it and putting together the very best video I can. Now, I am not talking about one of those videos that shows a tour or where the video is shaky (nothing against them, I have watched many of these in the past view months, waiting for my turn to ride). I am wanting to put together as close to a professional product as I can while using 3 GoPros, VO (voice over for those of you without a broadcasting background), and awesome/epic music. Here is another video I put together during one of my many times crewing with hot air balloons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7RZfWVlTxc

Anyway, while planning out everything I hope to do and capture, this led me to thinking.

What is the best Amtrak video that you have seen? If there is a link, please share! I can't get enough of Amtrak videos.

If there is any consistency to moderation here, sadly, this thread will be moved to the Train Photography Forum.

Making it harder to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is any consistency to moderation here, sadly, this thread will be moved to the Train Photography Forum.
Wow what an optimist. EXCELLENT video though, stunning. Guy rides a train with his device, weird machine made music plays, old footage is used. Awesome.

Hey guys,
3 and half months until we leave on our biggest Amtrak trip to date, and the days are going by slower and slower. Since our trip is going to be 10 days long, I will be videoing it and putting together the very best video I can. Now, I am not talking about one of those videos that shows a tour or where the video is shaky (nothing against them, I have watched many of these in the past view months, waiting for my turn to ride). I am wanting to put together as close to a professional product as I can while using 3 GoPros, VO (voice over for those of you without a broadcasting background), and awesome/epic music. Here is another video I put together during one of my many times crewing with hot air balloons.

Anyway, while planning out everything I hope to do and capture, this led me to thinking.

What is the best Amtrak video that you have seen? If there is a link, please share! I can't get enough of Amtrak videos.
This is a breautiful video. Thanks. I will look forward to seeing what you do on the train.

Wow what an optimist. EXCELLENT video though, stunning. Guy rides a train with his device, weird machine made music plays, old footage is used. Awesome.
Thanks! Amtrak liked it too. Got an Honorable Mention in their last video contest!

Here's a link to the other Video thread iPat09 started that was moved.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/53961-gopro/

It is NOW! Thanks!

Still, the consistency of moderation seems to be much like the "coach passengers visiting a sleeper" rule, depends on the current person in charge.

Much like life, it takes all kinds!

I embrace it!

Still, the consistency of moderation seems to be much like the "coach passengers visiting a sleeper" rule, depends on the current person in charge.
:unsure:

The current person in charge is Anthony, founder and owner of the forum. He's been in charge since day 1 and remains in charge.

I see. Anthony moved iPat09's original video thread. Thank you.

Aloha

When I begged Anthony, and Alan, for the Photography Forum it's purpose was, and is, an area to discuss the how to be safe while photographing Amtrak trains. This includes Video. There was concern that it might take away from the display of Amtrak trains that belonged in the Amtrak discussion area. Many do not care what the exposure is. Many do not need or want to know the Technical issues, they just want to enjoy the results. What you have shown us falls in this group. Some times because pictures are needed to show the results of some technique, it gets hard to decide where a picture belongs.

In the Photography Forum, there are discussion of Photographer's rights, Things to watch out for so that one does not get hurt around trains, What kind of Camera one uses. This can include film, if anyone still uses that format.

There have been a few times where I was unsure where a picture thread belongs, so I hope all understand If we choose to move a thread. I also hope there is understanding of the Photography Forum Goals.

Lastly I host my pictures on the Smugmug site shown in my signature because there sight includes the ability to display the Lens, exposure information to those that are interested.

Mahalo

Good luck with your film! One of the best Amtrak videos I have seen is by someone who goes by the name Amesh2009, on youtube. Here is his or her long (about 10 minutes) rather meditative look at the Southwest Chief. It's mostly shots of the train as it passes by in the beautiful New Mexico and Arixxona landscape, but it includes many views from the train and also a few of the interior of the train itself.

I like that there are no effects, no soundtrack or captions. The camera doesn't swing around to follow the locomotive as it passes, rather the camera is still and lets the train approach and pass through the scenery, and then the landscape is empty again (at least empty of the train). The sound is just the train's horn, crossing bells, and the wind.

Some good stuff so far! Ryan, trust me, there is no way you want to go flying more than me. The last time I was able to was July 4th of last year. Been around it all my life (literally).

Keep the videos coming! Either your own or one you found that you really enjoy. I can't wait to make my own. Watching all these is really making it hard to wait!

I like that there are no effects, no soundtrack or captions. The camera doesn't swing around to follow the locomotive as it passes, rather the camera is still and lets the train approach and pass through the scenery, and then the landscape is empty again (at least empty of the train). The sound is just the train's horn, crossing bells, and the wind.
No kidding! A+

What a wonderful 10 minute escape.

No people - all train.

Wonderful. No shake and no pan. Any idea of the location of that wig-wag signal and if it's still there?

A couple thoughts:

Why go pro? A 3 chip camera will do a lot better job if you want this to be the best Amtrak video ever. Even better, over-crank a Canon XF305 for some really spectacular slow motion effects at 60P with rich color depth.

Also why voice over? No offense intended, but unless you have a professional sounding voice it may not match the quality of the visuals. Text on screen seems like the way to go for something like this. It also forces you to summarize and be succinct in what you want/need to say. Film is a visual medium, long before there was sound pictures, there were silent pictures and your story should be able to be told without voice over or dialog.

Lastly, plan to spend a sizable amount of time hanging out the lower level window of the Superliner. There just isn't a more compelling shot anywhere else on the train except maybe the rear window. (which is often scratched and dirty). Some guys actually used a suction cup rig on the outside of the Superliner but I think they got caught (during the Tehachapi detour). Suction Cup Rig DON'T GET CAUGHT!!!

This will be a lot more challenging than your excellent hot air balloon video. Mainly because you'll need to lock the camera down or use a steadycam rig of some sort to get professional looking video on Amtrak. Exterior roll-bye's of the train would make for excellent cutting options, but would add considerably to the scope of filming.

One of my favorite tricks was employed to great effect in this

. (and they got real lucky with the rear window.)Good luck!

A couple thoughts:
Why go pro? A 3 chip camera will do a lot better job if you want this to be the best Amtrak video ever. Even better, over-crank a Canon XF305 for some really spectacular slow motion effects at 60P with rich color depth.

Also why voice over? No offense intended, but unless you have a professional sounding voice it may not match the quality of the visuals. Text on screen seems like the way to go for something like this. It also forces you to summarize and be succinct in what you want/need to say. Film is a visual medium, long before there was sound pictures, there were silent pictures and your story should be able to be told without voice over or dialog.

Lastly, plan to spend a sizable amount of time hanging out the lower level window of the Superliner. There just isn't a more compelling shot anywhere else on the train except maybe the rear window. (which is often scratched and dirty). Some guys actually used a suction cup rig on the outside of the Superliner but I think they got caught (during the Tehachapi detour). Suction Cup Rig DON'T GET CAUGHT!!!

This will be a lot more challenging than your excellent hot air balloon video. Mainly because you'll need to lock the camera down or use a steadycam rig of some sort to get professional looking video on Amtrak. Exterior roll-bye's of the train would make for excellent cutting options, but would add considerably to the scope of filming.

One of my favorite tricks was employed to great effect in this

Hey, thanks for your pointers

First, let me explain that this is my brother's senior trip since he graduating from high school in May. I'm going along so I can keep an eye on him (it's just the two of us) and also because I never really had a senior trip.

I already own one GoPro and will be buying the Hero3 Black within the next fews days while my brother will be buying the White. This is all we can afford. I'm not wanting to do a full over the top professional video, I just want it to be the absolute very best within my talents. I am majoring in broadcasting at Mississippi State, so I have a good bit of experience when it comes to shooting and editing. I also video weddings and my dad owns a photography studio, so I have been around photo/video production all my life.

Since this is such a special trip for my brother and I, I want to take every way I can to remember it. The entire trip would be shot from our point of view. I wanted to keep a video journal, but now I am tossing around the idea of coming it all into one large video. I like to try and create things that not everyone else has done. I don't want it to be just another amtrak video on youtube. And I want it as a way where I can sit down and watch it years from now and still have all the memories.

The trip itself is going to be 10 days long. Starting in Jackson MS, we will be traveling to Chicago, then Albuquerque for two nights, then to LA, then to Portland, then back to Chicago and Jackson. We will be spending a lot of time on the train, which is another reason for the GoPros. They allow us to travel as light as possible.

Sounds like a wonderful trip for two brothers - I hope the videos come out perfectly, but more importantly I hope you two have a great time!

That would be a great trip for the two of you to enjoy! Really am looking forward for your video when you get it edited!

Getting close to our departure date! Just over 2 weeks away. So naturally, I'm watching Amtrak videos on YouTube, and I came across this one last night. I think it's a great pace video, and it happens to be one of the routes we are taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back