Best Bedroom on a Superliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please pardon what I suspect are dumb questions, but I've looked at the Superliner virtual tour and read the responses here and I'm still confused. I've never ridden in a Superliner bedroom and plan on redeeming some AGR points, so I don't want to make a mistake. Are the following correct?

Bedroom A is slightly smaller.

Bedroom E is the one most folks here seem to favor.

Bedrooms B & C and D & E have sliding doors that can be opened to create a suite.

Bedroom A doesn't open into a suite and has no door to rattle, so it's slightly quiter.

Direction facing: You won't know which direction the bench seat will be facing in a bedroom when you book your trip. However, you'll always be able to sit facing the direction of travel -- but it might be in the smaller, less-comfortable chair.

Right?

Please pardon what I suspect are dumb questions, but I've looked at the Superliner virtual tour and read the responses here and I'm still confused. I've never ridden in a Superliner bedroom and plan on redeeming some AGR points, so I don't want to make a mistake. Are the following correct?

Bedroom A is slightly smaller.

Bedroom E is the one most folks here seem to favor.

Bedrooms B & C and D & E have sliding doors that can be opened to create a suite.

Bedroom A doesn't open into a suite and has no door to rattle, so it's slightly quiter.

Direction facing: You won't know which direction the bench seat will be facing in a bedroom when you book your trip. However, you'll always be able to sit facing the direction of travel -- but it might be in the smaller, less-comfortable chair.

Right?
You score 100%

You got it! The only bad thing about A is that the vestibule door between cars opens and closes which can be loud and the angle of the wall makes the bathroom/shower door open towards the hall instead of away which gives you less room when the bed is down!

I think Room E is the best but they're all good really!!!

When the Superliners first came into service, I always request Bedroom D since it was near the center of the car and "in the old days", the sleeper cars seemed to have been aligned with roomettes first followed by the bedrooms in direction of travel. In that situation bedrooms A, B, and D couches faced in the direction of travel and C & E traveled backwards. I actually asked to be moved from Bedroom A since it was over the "trucks" and "to me" was the noisiest room. Bedroom B is also over the "trucks". So to me, Bedroom D was the best of all. Last time I traveled in Bedrooms I traveled on SWC and Bedroom D travel facing forward but then I traveled on the Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited sleeper from Chicago to Los Angeles. Yes, indeed, they reverse the direction of travel when they attach the sleeper to the Sunset Limited in San Antonio so Chicago to San Antonio I faced forward and then San Antonio to Los Angeles I traveled backward facing. Was not too bad and it really doesn't matter when you are sleeping at night. I would point out that I found the single seat chair very awkward and uncomfortable. Last couple of years I have been in roomettes and like that I can face foward no matter which end of the car the roomettes are.

I would disagree with post #23 regarding the Viewliner H unit. Hubby and I've traveled in it well over a dozen times, and I think it's the best unit in the train. Larger with a larger bathroom than the others, and every time we traveled, the seats always faced forward. We never had anything fall or slide, although there is some rough track near the far southern end of the route.

We've also traveled in the bedroom (not sure if A or B) in which the seats face the same way as the H unit, and in coach (all Viewliners).

I've never traveled in a roommette or in a Superliner but plan to soon. I think we have unit C, IIRC. We are hoping the seats will face forward, but no way to know about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
All this info is good for most trains. The one thing that can be hard to predict is whether the car will run with bedrooms forward, or trailing.

The two unique all-deluxe Superliners on the Auto Train are the only ones that have no economy rooms (roomettes) on the upper level. Instead, they have bedrooms J, K,, L, M, and N, with N being at the end of the car. J is a mirror image and equivalent to E; N is a mirror image and equivalent of A. J and K have sliding doors allowing them to be sold as one suite; same for L and M.

E all the way! We never had a problem with noise coming from the coffee machine, stairs or the hallway, just the people in room D who were going to the bathroom every 5 min so we had to deal with with flushing noise from Houston all the way to NOLA. I don't think it would be pleasant to have that noise going on from both walls.

I am an H kinda guy

but I have a trache and a titanium hip

She Who Must Be Obeyed has two #18 screws in her heel,,,,

but on a good day we make it around all day,

besides our challenges we use H primarily so my nebulizer disturbs fewer folks,,,,,

Thanks for the information, everyone! I'll be redeeming my AGR points soon and am really looking forward to traveling in a bedroom.

So I was in B for the first time last week--my first Superliner bedroom--and while I loved the layout I could hear every single word spoken next door. Which were luckily in Mandarin (I think) so they weren't too distracting. But still. It sounds like I want A or E if I want just a little auditory privacy (or else get a roomette.)

While lots of us like Bedroom E,,A is the only Bedroom without a connecting door to the next Bedroom!
And that is why I prefer Bedroom A for that purpose. I am probably in the minority here on this choice but one bad experience with a bunch of loud mouths in a bedroom (with connecting doors) will change you view on this matter.

Has anyone mentioned that it depends when you make a reservation as to what bedroom you will get?

I just made a bedroom reservation on the City of New Orleans and was assigned C and if I requested E it would have been more expensive.

So keep in mind when the date you reserve, your options decrease.

I'm still happy to be in a bedroom at a great rate thanks to biketrain. It was even cheaper than a roomette.

Hello New Orleans,........I'm on my way!!!

I have travelled on dozens of long distance superliners. If alone give me A anytime. No door connecting to other room. Much quieter for me than listening to the neighbors conversations.

Has anyone mentioned that it depends when you make a reservation as to what bedroom you will get?

I just made a bedroom reservation on the City of New Orleans and was assigned C and if I requested E it would have been more expensive.

I'm still happy to be in a bedroom at a great rate thanks to biketrain. It was even cheaper than a roomette.

The prices do change depending on how many units have been sold, but it's my understanding that one bedroom should not be more expensive than another at a given bucket. If C had already been reserved for you and then you asked about E, reserving C could have pushed E into the next higher bucket. But as far as I know, room E is not of itself more expensive than C or any of the other regular bedrooms. It just depends on what bucket is in effect at the time.

South of ATL, the Crescent's bedrooms are sometimes cheaper than its roomettes, too. :)

Re best units:

We recently had Superliner bedroom C. Our car happened to be oriented so that the sofa faced the rear of the train, but we didn't hear a sound from the adjoining units except for an occasional toilet flush from the bathroom next to ours. No noise from the other side. Maybe we just had especially good neighbors, but our trip was very pleasant throughout. That upper bunk was really tight, though, much worse than the ones in the Viewliners.

We had Viewliner bedroom A, and also did not hear any noise from the other units. A is the center bedroom and the sofa usually faces the rear of the train. On all my trips, the Viewliner sleepers have run with the bedrooms forward, but I know that's not guaranteed.

We had odd-numbered Viewliner roomettes on our other two trains, and they were also quiet. Lucky us, I guess.

The agent was wrong. To change rooms once booked, they can give you the other room for the price you already paid. If the agent does not know how to do it, ask them to ask for a supervisor.

Just booked my AGR trip from Chicago to Portland next year. The wife and I are taking #27, and we were assigned to Bedroom A, since there were no others available.

My travel time is flexible, and after browsing through this thread, I'm thinking another room might be nicer, Is there any way to check what other rooms are available on other days without going through AGR?

Edit to add: How, exactly, is the layout different from the other 4 bedrooms?

In bedrooms B through E, the bathroom door is away from the hallway. In bedroom A, the bathroom door is toward the hallway. This means that bedroom A has two floor areas opposite the lower bed, rather than one larger area. A person sitting in the single seat by the window is in a more confined area.

On the plus side, bedroom A does not have a door between it and an adjacent bedroom, which the others do. On a train that has the sleeper at the end (like 27 and 28), bedroom A might be nearest to the rear window.

Superliner sleeper plan.gif

Just booked my AGR trip from Chicago to Portland next year. The wife and I are taking #27, and we were assigned to Bedroom A, since there were no others available.

My travel time is flexible, and after browsing through this thread, I'm thinking another room might be nicer, Is there any way to check what other rooms are available on other days without going through AGR?

Edit to add: How, exactly, is the layout different from the other 4 bedrooms?
Between now and your trip it is quite possible someone will cancel their Bedroom reservation.

Keep checking Bedroom availability to see if another Bedroom becomes available because of a cancellation, then call Amtrak customer service and have them switch your reservation to the now available room.

To me, the worst feature of Bedroom A is the inability to enjoy the scenery passing by outside the window while sitting on the pot.

Back