"Best" Hotels for Guest Rewards points?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HARHBG

Service Attendant
Fairly new to all this Amtrak Guest Rewards points...............Last trip I booked a hotel in Seattle, WA with "Rocketmiles", ended up with 7000 AGR points, total for a 2 night stay. My first time using any of the "extra" ways to build AGR points. 3000 for first time "sign-up bonus" and 4000 for the 2 night stay.

Looking at the AGR web-site I see there is also 250 AGR points available for booking through Choice Privilidges, which includes a lot of different chains.

Various other hotels listed offer more points if booked through that particulat chain.

My question is this.....

Some sites read, "Qualifing Stays", others don't clearly state if it's XX points PER STAY or PER NIGHT............how do you know what comprises a "qualifying stay"?

Other Amtrak Unlimited Members experiences would be appreciated. Which sites/hotel chains have you had the best experiences with???

I just booked a week in Providence, RI with Rocketmiles. Another 7000 AGR points. I guess it's based on what you pay. The 2 nights in Seattle cost almost as much as a week in Providence.......Rocketmiles tells you right up front the total # of points you'll get when they send your confirmation.

So far, Rocketmiles has been good, ......but this will only be the 2nd stay through them....... but as everyone else...........always looking for one better.

THANKS in advance for any and all replies..........Best regards to all.....HARHBG.

Also got a rental car through Enterprise, supposed to get 6X points for the rental but it never states if it's 6X for the entire cost of the rental or ??? Will wait and see how that works out.

I got points through Wyndham Rewards and Hilton. Can't say that any was better or worse. I did appreciate that they always posted within a couple of days of my stay.

Hilton hhonors allows you to double dip. You can also transfer hhonors to agr. Though not at a desirable rate.

Spg also transfers to agr at a 1:1 ratio.

My question is this.....Some sites read, "Qualifing Stays", others don't clearly state if it's XX points PER STAY or PER NIGHT............how do you know what comprises a "qualifying stay"?
If it doesn't indicate per night then I'd assume it's per stay. I'd read a qualifying stay as any number of consecutive nights that doesn't make use of any conflicting discounts or offers.

Which sites/hotel chains have you had the best experiences with???
There is no one hotel brand or chain that trumps all the others. I've stayed at literally hundreds of hotels across nearly every major brand and price range. My advice is to read the reviews for individual hotels and choose the one that has the right location, service, and price for your needs. Then take whatever points happen to come with that hotel as a secondary consideration. Choosing the right hotel for the trip can have a bigger overall impact than a lot of points chasers seem to realize.

Of the hotel chains which allow conversion to AGR points, I've found the conversion rates are pretty similar for all of them. I have a small bias towards choosing a hotel where it is possible to convert the points to AGR points, because otherwise I just lose the points entirely (I don't ever stay at one chain enough to get free stays or anything). But usually the location and price determine what hotel I stay at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Choice points get credited really quick, however it is NOT 250 per night, but it is 250 per STAY, no matter the number of nights.

Fairly new to all this Amtrak Guest Rewards points...............Last trip I booked a hotel in Seattle, WA with "Rocketmiles", ended up with 7000 AGR points, total for a 2 night stay. My first time using any of the "extra" ways to build AGR points. 3000 for first time "sign-up bonus" and 4000 for the 2 night stay.

Looking at the AGR web-site I see there is also 250 AGR points available for booking through Choice Privilidges, which includes a lot of different chains.

Various other hotels listed offer more points if booked through that particulat chain.

My question is this.....

Some sites read, "Qualifing Stays", others don't clearly state if it's XX points PER STAY or PER NIGHT............how do you know what comprises a "qualifying stay"?

Other Amtrak Unlimited Members experiences would be appreciated. Which sites/hotel chains have you had the best experiences with???

I just booked a week in Providence, RI with Rocketmiles. Another 7000 AGR points. I guess it's based on what you pay. The 2 nights in Seattle cost almost as much as a week in Providence.......Rocketmiles tells you right up front the total # of points you'll get when they send your confirmation.

So far, Rocketmiles has been good, ......but this will only be the 2nd stay through them....... but as everyone else...........always looking for one better.

THANKS in advance for any and all replies..........Best regards to all.....HARHBG.

Also got a rental car through Enterprise, supposed to get 6X points for the rental but it never states if it's 6X for the entire cost of the rental or ??? Will wait and see how that works out.
How does the rocketmiles work for you? Room rates competitive? Ease of reserving? Paying?

I've found the room rates booked through the Rocketmiles site to be almost identical to the rates you get if you use hotels.com, expedia.com, etc.

It's simple to see rates AND points awarded through the Rocketmiles site. Just go on the site and play with it. One drawback with Rocketmiles is your choices in certain cities can be limited, but if you find a place that works for you then Rocketmiles appears to award a lot more points than the other choices thru the individual hotels on the AGR site.

This will be my second booking through Rocketmiles so I can't say I have a long track record to recommend them. Go on the Rocketmiles site and check it out for yourself is the best wat to see room rates and points available.

You have to pay in full when you book the reservation and although I've never had to change or cancel a reservation it appears doing so is not easy.

Points posted almost immediately when I finished the stay and overall, it works fine for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back