Best Name for Northeast Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Name for Northeast Service

• Acela Regional

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Regional/(Amtrak's Regional Service)

• Northeast Direct

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amfleet said:
Then you must have loved "Space Camp" staring Leah Thompson.
I think I know what your talking about. Is that the one where all the kids go into the Space Shuttle for a test burn, but the robot overrides the computers and sends them into space?
Yup, that's the one. :)

Amfleet said:
When I was 9 me and my friends would always go to a small air field near my house and launch model rockets. It was a blast, but most of them got destroyed on the way down. I miss the good ol' days!
What did you build from? We use Estes Kits Mainly.

I don't know, but we got them in at a science store in the mall. You bought the basic kit which had a launch pad and a rocket. You could then buy more rockets as desired. We would put them together, paint, and decal them.

We made bottle rockets at Space Academy in Huntsville. My groups was called Crap Attack II. We tried hard at first, but then gave up. It ended up all black with Crap Attack II painted on it and one fin (it started out with three). It was from the state of South Penarkensordia, a combination of all our home states.

battalion51 said:
I think a freight forum would be welcome too.
Ugh, no freight forum!!! It would not be welcome in my book! :angry: :( :ph34r: :blink:

"Casablanca" is a great movie and since there's a railroad station scene in it I guess we can make it fit in this discussion.

:D

jccollins said:
battalion51 said:
I think a freight forum would be welcome too.
Ugh, no freight forum!!! It would not be welcome in my book! :angry: :( :ph34r: :blink:
I agree. NO FREIGHT!! They are getting in the way of my passenger trains!!

:lol:

Actually, I would like a freight forum as I'm not to knowledgeable with the subject. I think there is a lot we don't know about the real reason freights have been delaying passenger trains. They're in as much budget constraints as Amtrak and are having trouble maintaining plant (tracks, signals, etc.). This in turn leads to the delays of many trains, including Amtrak. NS and CSX are usually pretty good, but their signals seem to malfunction everyday. However, sometimes the freights are given priority around a passenger when unneccesary.

Amfleet said:
When I was 9 me and my friends would always go to a small air field near my house and launch model rockets. It was a blast, but most of them got destroyed on the way down. I miss the good ol' days!
"Good ol' days"??? Amfleet, I have food in my freezer WAY older than you are!!

:lol:

Amfleet, I have food in my freezer WAY older than you are!!
LOL, that's funny! But I think the freight/misc forum would help us expand our knowledge of the entire railroading world. Just as we have commuter, modeling, and games forums here, freights play a large role in railroading.

BNSF actually does a pretty good job moving Amtrak California trains on the San Joaquin route between Martinez and Bakersfield. It seems that other San Joaquin sister trains get in the way and cause delays more often than the freight trains do on this route. I know that this is the rare exception, though, since most Amtrak routes run once, daily.

But, going back to the original topic, how about "The Atlantic Regional" or "The Atlantic Shoreliner" for the Amtrak Regional trains? We need something more than just "Regionals." Anything is better than "Regionals."

jccollins said:
But, going back to the original topic, how about "The Atlantic Regional" or "The Atlantic Shoreliner" for the Amtrak Regional trains? We need something more than just "Regionals." Anything is better than "Regionals."
jccollins,

Please, no! We're mercifully getting rid of the Shoreliner moniker; we don't need another! :eek:

Atlantic Regional is not bad, however I reject it because we don't see much of the Atlantic from the train, the same reason why the Shoreliner name was inappropriate.

Now Northeast Regional I could live with.....a mixture of previous names NortheastDirect and Acela Regional. :D

Superliner Diner said:
jccollins said:
But, going back to the original topic, how about "The Atlantic Regional" or "The Atlantic Shoreliner" for the Amtrak Regional trains?  We need something more than just "Regionals."  Anything is better than "Regionals."
jccollins,

Please, no! We're mercifully getting rid of the Shoreliner moniker; we don't need another! :eek:

Atlantic Regional is not bad, however I reject it because we don't see much of the Atlantic from the train, the same reason why the Shoreliner name was inappropriate.

Now Northeast Regional I could live with.....a mixture of previous names NortheastDirect and Acela Regional. :D
Sorry Diner. I know I'm not the best person to choose a name since I have never even seen/been east of Nevada (I live in Calif.), let alone the East Coast. I was just going by what seemed to have a nice "ring" to it, and Atlantic Shoreliner sounded kind of like the popular Pacific Surfliners we have in Sothern California, but our intercity Surfliner trains DO see quite a bit of the ocean, and even run right along the beach in some places, making the name more appropriate. Northeast Regional seems to say it best, and is a little more specific than bland "Regionals."

:)

Superliner Diner said:
Please, no!  We're mercifully getting rid of the Shoreliner moniker; we don't need another!
Interestingly, the name “Shoreliner” is not an Amtrak concoction. The NYNH&H operated a daily train from New York (GCT) to Boston named “Shoreliner”. Some other imaginative train names used by the New Haven for the Shore Line were “The Hub”, “The Roger Williams”, “The Gilt Edge”, and my personal favorite, the “Hell Gate Express”. Hell Gate Express is a name that Amtrak could use to appropriately describe several if its trains (such as the 26 hour late Coast Starlight of March 18).

PRR 60 said:
Superliner Diner said:
Please, no!  We're mercifully getting rid of the Shoreliner moniker; we don't need another!
Interestingly, the name “Shoreliner” is not an Amtrak concoction. The NYNH&H operated a daily train from New York (GCT) to Boston named “Shoreliner”. Some other imaginative train names used by the New Haven for the Shore Line were “The Hub”, “The Roger Williams”, “The Gilt Edge”, and my personal favorite, the “Hell Gate Express”. Hell Gate Express is a name that Amtrak could use to appropriately describe several if its trains (such as the 26 hour late Coast Starlight of March 18).
Well, to me a name of "Hell Gate Express" indicates that a train that started in New York for Boston did not get very far. :lol:

Obviously the origin of the name "Shoreliner" simply comes from the fact that the route through Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts has been called the Shore Line, to distinguish it from the Inland Route via Hartford, Springfield, and Worcester.

Throwing the word "Twilight" in front of the "Shoreliner" was an Amtrak concoction, though, and it was a horrible move. Twilight happens for only a few minutes in the evening. The southbound TS during its life usually left Boston after dark anyhow, except perhaps in mid-summer when the days were longer. The northbound TS, on most occasions hit twilight somewhere in Virginia, long before it got to Washington, DC. Neither train therefore ran on what was known as the "Shore Line" during the supposed twilight hours.

"Gilt Edge" for some reason brings to mind a Gillette double blade razor; after all you do see the Gillette plant on your right coming into South Station.

Superliner Diner said:
"Gilt Edge" for some reason brings to mind a Gillette double blade razor; after all you do see the Gillette plant on your right coming into South Station.
The name "Gilt Edge" kind of peaked my curiosity. With a little research, I found that “Gilt Edge” is a Wall Street term referring to high-quality investments that have no-risk or a very low risk of loss. The NH train by that name was the 5:00pm departure from GCT to Boston, a prime-time train for business travel, so the name fits.

I know that I could certainly use a few “gilt edge” investments today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back