Best roomette in a westbound Empire Builder transition sleeper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

New Rider

My first train trip is coming up, and I'm currently in a transition sleeper going west on Empire Builder. My understanding is that a north-facing room is the way to go for views, the center of the car is better for motion sickness, and transition sleepers always travel the same direction (left to right on this diagram), unlike superliner sleepers.

Based on that, my assumption is that roomette #24 would fit the bill nicely (if it's available), but I have read concerns about being near bathrooms, and am not sure if there are any other things I should take into account.

Hopefully some of the experienced travelers here can offer me some insight before I call back in to make the room change request. Thanks!

I have never had a problem with motion sickness on a train so I cannot advise you on that. In my experience transition sleepers seem to be pretty quiet. I think roomette 24 would be fine.

During the scenic portions of the trip I prefer to be in the Sightseer lounge car where the view is better (and you can easily see on both sides of the train.

Hope you have a great trip and will post a report.

My first train trip is coming up, and I'm currently in a transition sleeper going west on Empire Builder. My understanding is that a north-facing room is the way to go for views, the center of the car is better for motion sickness, and transition sleepers always travel the same direction (left to right on this diagram), unlike superliner sleepers.

Based on that, my assumption is that roomette #24 would fit the bill nicely (if it's available), but I have read concerns about being near bathrooms, and am not sure if there are any other things I should take into account.

Hopefully some of the experienced travelers here can offer me some insight before I call back in to make the room change request. Thanks!
Your Roomette in the Transdorm is a Good One, I prefer being in the Transdorm myself! ( a 50+ Year Amtrak Rider).

Being near the bathroom might be good—no need to walk too far to get to it.

I can’t give you much advice for this trip—I’ve only been in Superliners on one trip, and you seem to have already made good decisions from the other replies here.

However, if you enjoy the trip and decide you want to travel in a sleeper again, I do have one tip. If you are prone to motion sickness, book a roomette and not a bedroom.

During the day it doesn’t matter. But at night, in a roomette the bed is moving back and forth in coordination with the train. In a bedroom, because the bed is sideways, you are going side to side instead of front to back, so are out of sync with the train.

I did an overnight in a bedroom once and felt a bit odd —not sick, just a bit odd—for a little while after I woke up the next morning

If you ever go on a Viewliner, roomettes 1 and 2 are my favorites.

First things first, though—hope you have a wonderful trip for your first train trip. And many more good ones in the future!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back