Best side of train for views?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Ctrimble

I am taking 4 train journeys over the next few weeks & would like to know which side of the observation car would be best. I remember being advised about this when I booked late last year but I can't find the post now :( My 4 journeys are:

28-29 Aug Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI)

31Aug-1Sept California Zephyr (CHI-SLC)

19-21 Sept Southwest Chief (LAX-CHI)

24-25 Sept Lake Shore Limited (CHI-NYP.

I am specifically interested in the California Zephyr journey as I believe it is the most scenic of the 4.

Also how early would I need to be up to secure the seat I want?

Thanks in advance!!

The Lake Shore Limited doesn't have an "observation" car, but I've been told the left side heading out of NYP and the right side heading into NYP for the Hudson Valley.

The CZ, the right side heading out of Denver. I'd say get to the observation car before leaving Denver.

I don't know about the SWC, but look forward to what others have to say as I will be taking that from CHI to LAX later this year.

What Amtrak Blue said.

LSL is better left on the way out and right on the way back, mostly for the Hudson River valley but also for the somewhat infrequent views of the Erie Canal.

The CZ is better on the right for leaving Denver up to the Moffit Tunnel, but other than that it doesn't really matter. The right is also a little better as you climb over Donner Lake outside of Truckee in California (which you won't see). Other than that I am not sure it matters.

No idea on SWC.

Confirmed on the Lake Shore Limited out of NYP; you want to be on the left side running up the Hudson. If you are booked in a Roomette, that would mean an even numbered Room; the Viewliners are oriented with the vestibule facing forward.

I am taking 4 train journeys over the next few weeks & would like to know which side of the observation car would be best. I remember being advised about this when I booked late last year but I can't find the post now :( My 4 journeys are:

28-29 Aug Lake Shore Limited (NYP-CHI)

31Aug-1Sept California Zephyr (CHI-SLC)

19-21 Sept Southwest Chief (LAX-CHI)

24-25 Sept Lake Shore Limited (CHI-NYP.

I am specifically interested in the California Zephyr journey as I believe it is the most scenic of the 4.

Also how early would I need to be up to secure the seat I want?

Thanks in advance!!
The Lake Shore Limited doesn't have an "observation" car, but I've been told the left side heading out of NYP and the right side heading into NYP for the Hudson Valley.

The CZ, the right side heading out of Denver. I'd say get to the observation car before leaving Denver.

I don't know about the SWC, but look forward to what others have to say as I will be taking that from CHI to LAX later this year.
SWC is generally better out of the left side eastbound (red cliffs out of Gallup, looking over the valley in Glorietta Pass, looking out over river/canyon in Raton Pass).

Look out for the "Along the Way" signs about points of interest that Santa Fe put up for their passengers in the 60s. Some are still there and in good shape.

Will there be taxis outside SLC station? Or will I need to call one? Are there occasions when illegal cabs line up? Just worried about safety as a lone female.

If I'm going "out and back" especially on a route with "symmetrical" lighting (it's night in the same places), I like sitting on the left side both directions. That let's me see more trains (because in this country they typically run on the right) and let's me see what I didn't see going the other direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the CZ from DEN to SLC, both sides offer great views. Of course, there is a bit less sun glare on the windows on the north side. If you really are willing and able to move back and forth between the north side and south side, then I would suggest:

North side from DEN to Moffat Tunnel

South side from Moffat Tunnel to State Bridge

North side from State Bridge to Silt

South side from Silt to Westwater

North side from Westwater to Helper

South side from Helper to Salt Lake City

Aloha

There are so many serious answers, so I thought I would add, the inside, or better the Penthouse Suite.

Hi. If I book a roomette online, it's assigned automatically. If the assignment isn't ideal for the best views, can I email customer service and request a change?

Travelling eastbound SWC, then LSL or CL; am guessing upstairs is best, northern/left for SWC and LSL, not sure for CL.

Hi Aspro,

I am not sure about the best sides to view stuff from, and it may not be possible to move/change room anyway due to certain rooms being already reserved. I have done many thousands of miles on Amtrak, and I just go to the lounge/viewing car when I need to see something, this has the panoramic windows both sides. Also a great place to meet others. You will miss something no matter which side of the train you chose for your roomette, methinks. The righthand side of the LSL heading towards New York is the best, as you have views of the Hudson river.

Ed :cool:

For the eastbound Capitol Limited, the "best side" isn't consistent. After Pittsburgh, the best views tend to be on the right side for most of the distance along the Monongahela, Youghiogheny (pronounced Yock-ah-GAY-nee), and Casselman Rivers to Sand Patch tunnel (Summit of the Alleghenies, just past Meyersdale). Rolling south into Cumberland, most of the best views are on the right, including the Cumberland Narrows (NOT Cumberland Gap) just before arrival in Cumberland. After Cumberland, most of the best views in the Potomac River Valley tend to be on the left until Martinsburg. At Harpers Ferry, the train switches to the other side of the river, so the best views are on the right again. Adjust accordingly for the westbound Capitol.

You can request a change, but there's no guarantee that the room you request will be available. My advice: Don't worry about it. Hang out in the lounge, where you can see both sides.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. If I book a roomette online, it's assigned automatically. If the assignment isn't ideal for the best views, can I email customer service and request a change?

Travelling eastbound SWC, then LSL or CL; am guessing upstairs is best, northern/left for SWC and LSL, not sure for CL.
Yes, upstairs is best for seeing the countryside.

I don't know about email.

You can always give it a try.

The problem is this: Until you get on the train you don't know which side your roomette will be on. One end of the car can face forward or backwards. You have a better chance on single level equipment, but last time I rode the LSL we had our bedroom on one end going and one the other end coming back, so no guarantee there, either.

In my opinion, the best way to decide what side of the train will be the best for you is to see for yourself by using the aerial imagery of Google Earth and follow along the route above the tracks. That's because what makes you go "Oooh!" may be on the other side of the tracks from what makes me go "Oooh!" As a f'rinstance, I live out in the woods and find trees boring, preferring to see industrial areas of towns and cities. But a city dweller might find old factory buildings boring yet revel at the sight of acres and acres of nothing but trees.

Another consideration is that sunlight reflections from windows in photographs are easier to minimize when sitting on the shady side of the train with the lens held very close to the window. This is especially true for train windows in the Southwest as they tend to accumulate a lot of dust. Sun shining on a dusty, moving train window plays havoc with good photography.

Just my US¢2 worth.

There was a post on another thread, quite a while ago, that said that you never really know which side of the train you'll be on because the cars can get turned in the yard. So a car that might have evens on the right on one trip gets turned end-for-end at some time in its journeys and the evens end up on the left.

Can anyone confirm?

There was a post on another thread, quite a while ago, that said that you never really know which side of the train you'll be on because the cars can get turned in the yard. So a car that might have evens on the right on one trip gets turned end-for-end at some time in its journeys and the evens end up on the left.

Can anyone confirm?
Superliners can be placed either bedrooms first or roomettes first when the consists are put together at the terminus yards. One consist can have the 2 or 3 sleepers facing both directions (roomettes--bedrooms--bedrooms--roomettes--roomettes--bedrooms). This is because the vestibule/door is in the center of the cars.

The Viewliners have to have their cars oriented in a way to make sure there is a vestibule/door next to the diner since the diner does not have a vestibule/door for emergency exits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back