Best stinkin' sleeping car attendant on Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bierboy

OBS Chief
Wife and I just returned from a trip to Montana on the Empire Builder, and we had absolutely the BEST sleeping car attendant we've had on ANY route. Andrea was fabulous; very apparent she LOVES her job. And, boy, is she good at it. We've never had such service, and we've had great service on the Cardinal and the SWC. As a side note, Andrea said she met her hubby working for Amtrak and he's in charge of the dining car on the train that leaves a day ahead of hers. Ain't that sweet? Anyhoo, if any of you end up on her sleeping car, you're in for a REAL TREAT -- Andrea's the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
Customer service would love to hear some good things. I would suggest giving them a call and letting them know as it will go in the employee record that she recived praise.

Glad you enjoyed your trip! :)

Customer service would love to hear some good things. I would suggest giving them a call and letting them know as it will go in the employee record that she recived praise.
Glad you enjoyed your trip! :)
Will do....not sure if that's her from the photo, although I gotta think there aren't too many Andreas on the EB. But she is young, so it could be. We meant to take a pic as we got off the train, but it got crazy and we didn't get to it.

That's great to hear that you had a GREAT lsa! I agree with everyone else call Customer Relations and tell them about the lsa. Feedback from the passengers will determine if those employees get promoted or not.

Stephen

Now I want Andrea on my upcoming EB trip! :D

I appreciate good service. Wouldn't it be nice if in all places of business and customer service areas good service was the norm? ;)

The photo that was linked is not Andrea. I've met her quite a few times and she is one of the best attendants in coach and sleeper, depending on where they put her. She loves to make mamosas in the morning with the left over champaign and everyone enjoys it.

If I see her on Saturday, I'll send her a copy of this thread.

Someone posted some nice things about Gul a few months ago and I let him know. I really feel spoiled taking that train because the crews always seem to be friendly and go out of their way to help. Of course, the Builder also has the best food in my opinion as well :)

The photo that was linked is not Andrea. I've met her quite a few times and she is one of the best attendants in coach and sleeper, depending on where they put her. She loves to make mamosas in the morning with the left over champaign and everyone enjoys it. If I see her on Saturday, I'll send her a copy of this thread....
Thanks, I didn't think it was her, but I wasn't sure. Please show her this thread....although she did say she reads these boards every once and awhile. I told her we'd make her an Internet sensation.

Rolando and Doris on the SEA section on the EB are also top notch. Though Doris is a bit.. batty. Rolando is totally on top of things... sometimes on a power trip, but always friendly.

Andrea and Gul (EB, last summer) should go on a road show to teach all attendants about customer service.
I don't know Andrea; but Gul would be known in certain circles as a "rate buster"

Rolando and Doris on the SEA section on the EB are also top notch. Though Doris is a bit.. batty. Rolando is totally on top of things... sometimes on a power trip, but always friendly.
Doris is really top notch and if you ever get a chance to read her personal introductory letter in which she explains the layout of the room, it is pretty funny. She and Rolando were both on the History Channel EXTREME TRAINS program on the EB and I guess Doris has been recognized a few times. When I was traveling with a friend in sleeper from La Crosse to Chicago, (coach was high and the sleepers were low), the train was late and the diner was closed when we boarded. Doris was nice enough to bring a couple leftover bottles of champaign to our room and that was a nice touch.

I had Doris this weekend... I saved her letter. Being an English major I thought it needed a little.. editing. However her FAQ section was very funny.

An excerpt from a moment with doris.

(over the PA) "Hello all, this is Doris your attendant. Now tomorrow we will have the diner serving breakfast from 5:30 until about seven. Now the diner crew and I sometimes have a little debate over this... they like you to eat fast, but I need some time to change all your beds. So if you will all chew slowly, maybe have, oh, fifteen cups of coffee-- I would be very happy."

(poking head out of room 11) Me: "Doris, after those 15 cups, are you going to revive me after my heart attack?"

Doris: *laughing* No!! *sits on the stairs and continues laughing*

(from out of the H-room): "You tell him Doris!"

(Whole lower level starts laughing and looking out of their rooms.)

The photo that was linked is not Andrea. I've met her quite a few times and she is one of the best attendants in coach and sleeper, depending on where they put her. She loves to make mamosas in the morning with the left over champaign and everyone enjoys it. If I see her on Saturday, I'll send her a copy of this thread.
That's not the Andrea I had as a coach attendant on the EB back in 2005. I've mentioned Andrea a couple of times in my posts. She was absolutely the best.

The photo that was linked is not Andrea. I've met her quite a few times and she is one of the best attendants in coach and sleeper, depending on where they put her. She loves to make mamosas in the morning with the left over champaign and everyone enjoys it. If I see her on Saturday, I'll send her a copy of this thread.
That's not the Andrea I had as a coach attendant on the EB back in 2005. I've mentioned Andrea a couple of times in my posts. She was absolutely the best.
The Andrea I had was a SCA & the one in the picture. She worked her tusch off!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that photo is not the Andrea we had on the eastbound Empire Builder May 30/31. But she was awesome.

I can confirm that without a doubt that photo is of a different Andrea than the one you all are talking about in this post.

There are two attendants named Andrea who work the Empire Builder.

All the attendants mentioned in this post, Andrea, Gul, Doris and Rolando and the majority of the attendants that work from the Seattle side of the Empire Builder are some of the absolute best train attendants in the system in my opinion.

Is William still an attendant on the EB? He was another one who was very helpful in 2005.

How about John - met him on my 2008 EB trip. Looks gruff but is a very nice person. Just firm when he needs to be. Very good at dealing with people and seeing what they need before they even know they need it.

I've never had a bad attendant on the EB. Never.

Is William still an attendant on the EB? He was another one who was very helpful in 2005.
How about John - met him on my 2008 EB trip. Looks gruff but is a very nice person. Just firm when he needs to be. Very good at dealing with people and seeing what they need before they even know they need it.

I've never had a bad attendant on the EB. Never.

There are at least a 1/2 dozen attendants named John that work the Empire Builder and I know that from the Chicago side there are two Williams or Bill and one Willie. All three being very good train attendants.

Gul is remarkable!!!! My first ever trip on Amtrak had been "nice" up until being lucky enough to meet him last week. He amazed us with his attentiveness and constant smile, no matter how busy he was. Every time we mentioned how special he made us feel, he would reply, "This is the way it's supposed to be!" He FAR surpassed any of our previous attendants on the trip....including one on CONO whom we saw only when he told us where our rooms were located and when he set up our beds for the night.

We love Gul and Empire Builder!!!!! It sounds as though EB has other excellent attendants as well.

Sure is nice to read a Positive thread!!!!
My wife and I were so impressed with Andrea that I thought it deserved a nice, positive thread. It's good to hear there are other SCAs that are doing a great job, too. This is one of my top "selling" points to friends when I try to convince them to travel by rail.

I've only traveled long-distance once with Amtrak, so I don't have many comparisons to make - but a standard I will use in the future - judging excellent Sleeping Car Attendant performance - is Seattle-based Empire Builder employee Cheryl, a 29-year veteran whom I had the pleasure of getting to know on my recent Chicago > Seattle trip.

Yes, he was the Portland sleeping car attendant on #8 on May 21. Very nice man, and I remember liking him when I was westbound to Portland last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back