Best tourist train in New England open in May?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw the YouTubes and comments from April, didn't get the alerts (or missed them). Thank you!! We are going on our anniversary Essex Dinner Train on Sunday. Getting excited. Prime Rib, mmm. Oh yeah also the train. I will report back.
Good choice. The train was "meh" since a diesel was subbing for the steamer, but the prime rib was excellent.

Back from the Essex Dinner Train in Connecticut! We had a fine time for our belated 30th anniversary dinner and I recommend it. Here is my report with a few pictures. We drove about 90 minutes from Rhode Island, different route each way for a loop experience. We were lucky they seated the two of us on the river side at a table for four, very roomy. Try to arrive at the train yard at 3:00 rather than 3:30 (Sunday departure is 4 PM), as they seated us in the Meriden car right away and we didn't have time to visit the gift shop or walk around the rail yard. We did the latter afterwards, but the gift shop is closed when the train returns at 6:30.
Pros:
- Huge clean windows! Spotless!
- Beautiful interior period decor in our 1924 car, comfortable dining chairs, well-spaced tables
- The route was surprisingly good, half of it with beautiful wide river views on our side. I had taken the steam train in 1994 and it didn't go as far, so you were mostly in the woods. (I dug out the travel article I wrote at the time for the Philadelphia Daily News, will post later.) This was much better. Image of the brochure with the highlights is attached. Would be even better without foliage, but it doesn't run in winter.
- People waved at us from their yards and their cars stopped at the crossings. One lady waved from her doorway in both directions.
- The food and service were very good. We had prime rib and wild mushroom ravioli, both flavorful and not overcooked. Time your day's meals accordingly, they serve your salad at 3:55, even before the train leaves! Cheese, olive, salami, and dip with crackers and warm rolls are already on the table. They take your drink order right away and you get the drinks in about 15 minutes. I enjoyed a nice Malbec for $9 a glass. The main courses came around 5:00, maybe earlier.
- Was fun when a conductor in period uniform punched our "tickets" that he brought along and asked us where we were traveling from.
- Easy on and off Route 9 from I-95 and free parking (n.b. in a dusty dirt lot).
Cons (mostly minor):
- Though it's relaxing to be moving and without responsibilities, it did not really seem like riding in a train. It was slow and smooth more like a tramway. Give me Amtrak blasting across the plains any day! Or at least clacking moderately. OTOH you can enjoy the view more slowly.
- Some might prefer the steam engine but we couldn't see it anyway while under way, so that was fine. We did see it in its yard in (I think) Haddam. The diesel turned out to be very cool looking.
- People seated on the side away from the river do not get turned around - they were on the land side both directions. Only the engine switches ends. The land side had only tables for two in the Meriden car. We reserved a month in advance so maybe that's why we got the better side. There were other couples at fours. Request the river side.
- The tipping situation was unclear. I didn't recall if the $110 per person we paid last month included any service charge. I asked the server, and she pointed out a tip envelope we hadn't understood because it said Customer Survey on the front. We tipped separately for the wine. We did 20% as we would in a restaurant.

Would we do it again? Maybe in October when they have 11:30 brunch and fall colors. Enjoyable! Thanks to those here who recommended it.

Attachments

• IMG_6076.JPG
    IMG_6076.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6083.JPG
    IMG_6083.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6093.JPG
    IMG_6093.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6099.JPG
    IMG_6099.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6136.JPG
    IMG_6136.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6155.JPG
    IMG_6155.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6169.JPG
    IMG_6169.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Sounds wonderful—so glad you enjoyed it!😊

I may have missed it, but what was dessert?

That’s a good tip to ask for the river side when you book. And I love the idea of brunch in the fall—I might see if one of my Connecticut cousins wants to do it—avoids them having to do night driving.

Sounds wonderful—so glad you enjoyed it!😊

I may have missed it, but what was dessert?

That’s a good tip to ask for the river side when you book. And I love the idea of brunch in the fall—I might see if one of my Connecticut cousins wants to do it—avoids them having to do night driving.

Dessert was choice of cheesecake or chocolate cake. We both got the chocolate, very good but not outstanding. These days "cake" often has too little cake and tons of mousse and frosting.
We chose the 4 PM Sunday rather than the later trips because we could get home before dark, but of course brunch would be even better, and the gift shop would likely be open afterwards. I do prefer evening light, but you never know how light will be in New England!

Last edited:
Back