Best train combos EMY-NOL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crescent2

Conductor
While messing around on the amtrak site, I saw that EMY to NOL gives many route choices on certain days.

Considering best scenery, comfort and services of trains (hopefully AGR for sleepers), safety of making connections, etc., which routes do you think are best, and why:

Pacific Surfliner/Sunset Limited

Coast Starlight/SL

PS/SWChief/CONO

CZ/CONO

These are also choices, and are the choices offered in reverse for ATL-EMY. In addition to comparing with the above, which is the better of the two?

CZ/Cap Ltd/Crescent

CZ/Cardinal/Crescent

The PS includes various buses and/or Cap Corridor but gets the coastal views.

Regarding the CZ, this would probably be a return (second) trip on it, but I would still consider it because of the scenery. Just looking at possibly not flying for at least one of the legs of the trip, esp if I wind up solo. Or for a later trip.

I was surprised at all the route choices that popped up! :) There are even variations of the above.

Since these routes were options without using the Multicity function, I'm assuming they are all only one AGR redemption. I'm also assuming that unless I were very, very lucky the CL/Cardinal routes would make it a 3-zone instead of a 2-zone redemption, even if booked to ATL or ATN.

Lots of choices, what do you like? Thanks much-

Hi,

Each time I visit America, I try to include a ride on the Zephyr. This train was my first experience of long distance on Amtrak, and I was stunned by the amazing scenery, and still am... so I would opt for that, plus the City of New Orleans train from Chicago to NOL.

I have ridden the Coast Starlight, and the Sunset Limited also, but found the Zephyr the best for my taste in scenery.

Unfortunatly, being in the UK, I am not eligible for AGR membership points, so have no info on zones, etc.

When I plan a trip, it has to be a mix of prefered route v least expensive route!

Ed :cool:

The trains on the Cardinal suck, along with service. Unless you've never been on it take it. Otherwise the Capital Limited has much more nicer scenery, along with train/service.

Thanks, guys. I did not know AGR was only for the US--that's a shame. Many people seem to love the CZ. And the advice about the Cardinal is the type of thing that's very helpful, too

I probably should add to my post:

It's not important to me to rack up new trains only for the sake of not having been on them before.

And, for once I'm not trying to maximize time on the train; I'll probably be ready to be back home by then! Just wondering which are the "best" of these trains to take. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The trains on the Cardinal suck, along with service. Unless you've never been on it take it. Otherwise the Capital Limited has much more nicer scenery, along with train/service.
I respectfully disagree, as I think that despite a short consist, and thrice weekly schedule, it is a better train than the CL. I completely prefer the Viewliner accommodations to the Superliner, and think that the scenery along the Cardinal is infinitely better than the CL, especially considering the amount of time you get through the Appalachians during daylight hours going Eastbound.

I will agree that the Cap has a benefit in two areas: having a SSL and a Full diner; that being said, I was actually surprised at the quality of the Cardinal food when I took it earlier this month; a couple of the entrees (the healthy option for one) are exactly the same as served on other routes, and of the same quality. Service, it would also seem, can vary greatly along with the route and travel dates. In my experience, I had much better service from both my SCA as well as the Dining Car staff on the Cardinal than I had on the CL.

~ DCTE

I like the Cardinal because I can board in NYP for a "one seat" ride to

CHI and not have to change trains in WAS. I do find however, that I need

to book early or the sleeper is sold out. I often take the Lake Shore Limited

that departs NYP later and arrives CHI earlier. The scenery on the Cardinal

is better than the LSL.

The LSL was not a choice the website gave.

Some of the options (or missing options) don't really make sense to me. Amtrak gives the option of either taking the CZ from DAV or first going to SAC and then getting on the CZ. But they're really picky about "unnecessary" routes or detours usually.

One could devote a year to trying to figure it all out. :)

I respectfully disagree, as I think that despite a short consist, and thrice weekly schedule, it is a better train than the CL. I completely prefer the Viewliner accommodations to the Superliner, and think that the scenery along the Cardinal is infinitely better than the CL, especially considering the amount of time you get through the Appalachians during daylight hours going Eastbound.

I will agree that the Cap has a benefit in two areas: having a SSL and a Full diner; that being said, I was actually surprised at the quality of the Cardinal food when I took it earlier this month; a couple of the entrees (the healthy option for one) are exactly the same as served on other routes, and of the same quality. Service, it would also seem, can vary greatly along with the route and travel dates. In my experience, I had much better service from both my SCA as well as the Dining Car staff on the Cardinal than I had on the CL.

~ DCTE
I agree with you completely - I'll take the Card over the Cap hands down. You can't compare with the scenery in the New River Gorge with anything you'll see on the Cap, I couldn't possibly care less about how long the consist is or what it looks like from the outside, and I agree that the service I've gotten on the Card is better than what I've gotten on the Cap.
If I needed to be in Chicago quickly, or on a non-Cardina day I wouldn't hesitate to take the Cap, but if I can swing the Cardinal, I'll take it every time.

If you pick days that the Sunset does not operate the system will choose other routes for you. If I were thinking about least hassle, I would think Coast Starlight to Sunset Limited would be the way. This is also the least time route. The other route which would also gove you only one change of trains would be CZ to Chicago, then City of NO. If you just want to do something different between Emeryville and LA, then you can play arond with that one, keeping the Sunset in the cross country portion.

Thanks. I did all the days of the week and don't recall the LSL being an option, but I won't swear to it. I was checking lots of routes.

I really like the CS/SL option (would love that coastal segment), but that one-hour connect time seems rather iffy for the terminus of a long distance train. I understand it's guaranteed, but if it's missed and there are no available sleepers the next day, Amtrak can't really make it good. It costs a lot of points, and I really want a sleeper.

Also not opposed to a second CZ, if the scenery lives up to its reputation!

And there isn't even a train the "next day" Next Sunset will be in a day or two. However, if the Starlight is late enough so that it will miss the connection and late enough that they won't hold the Sunset but not but not completely catastrophically late, they will "bustitute" the connecting passengers to save time, sometimes pulling Sunset passengers off at Oxnard and busing them to Pomona or Palm Springs to catch the Sunset. Also, if you are late enough by the time you get to the Bay Area to endanger the connection, they may pull you off and put you on the San Joaquin train/bus service, which is hours faster than the Starlight (although much less scenic).

Most of the time I build a day layover if I am transferring between two long distance trains just in case if I am paying for it myself. The only time I didn't do that was between the westbound SWC and the northbound CS, because the SWCs timekeeping is usually pretty good. However, I understand that laying over is not an option on AGR tickets.

When I was on train 11 and there was an accident up by Santa Barbara we stopped at Goleta and they got taxi's for everyone who needed to connect to the SL. 100 mile Taxi ride but they all made the train on time! :)

Thanks, guys. I did not know AGR was only for the US--that's a shame. Many people seem to love the CZ. And the advice about the Cardinal is the type of thing that's very helpful, too
I probably should add to my post:

It's not important to me to rack up new trains only for the sake of not having been on them before.

And, for once I'm not trying to maximize time on the train; I'll probably be ready to be back home by then! Just wondering which are the "best" of these trains to take. Thanks!
Not just the US, I'm Canadian and an AGR member.

Gord

I did the CS/SL last fall and am glad I did the SL once but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it again. There's some interesting scenery in eastern NM/west Texas, especially the part that cuts away from I-10, but a huge part of the daylight section runs right along the Interstate, which i find unpleasant, and it doesn't have very interesting scenery.

I agree CZ is most scenic Amtrak route, and that scenery on the Cardinal is much better than on Cap Lim. SCA's average better also, and food is fine.

Thanks again, everyone.

It's good to hear that Canadians can also participate in AGR.

Amtrak's solution to a late CS would be fine if I just needed to get from point A to B to C, but if I was pulled off before the coastal views, that would defeat my entire purpose (the scenery)! I understand that's the best they can do, but it wouldn't help me.

It's my understanding, too Z17, that AGR will not allow an overnight layover, except in New Orleans, unless you get very, very lucky and the agent is in a really good mood. :) And good point about there not even being a train the next day.

Looks like flying home from LA or a return trip on the CZ would be the safest options. I'd sure have to accumulate more points for that!

And thanks for all the input re the Cardinal and Cap Ltd. Looks like the Cardinal has the most fans.

I don't think you really need to worry too much about the Coast Starlight missing the Sunset Limited. Just check the recent LA arrival times on the Amtrak website.

And I agree - anything can happen in travel, but that is true in everything. A World Series game can get rained out, a Nascar event can be cancelled for rain. Thunderstorms can shut down an airport or even a bunch of East Coast airports, when a pack of storms cross through the Eastern Seaboard.

And yes, the Coast Starlight could arrive 7 hours late in LA, But the odds are very much against that occurring. And for the most part - Amtrak is going to do all it can, to be sure that the Sunset is held in place in LA until the CS arrives.

They certainly don't want to purchase hotel rooms and meals for angry passengers.

BTW - We just travelled the Coast Starlight from LA to San Francisco, and we connected from the Westbound SW Chief. There was always a risk of a bus trip if we were late, but I looked at the track record and went with the statistics. We arrived on time in LA.

And let me say that the Pacific Coast by train is amazing. Plus the Parlor Car and wine tastings, etc... It was my favorite train trip that I have ever taken. So I would highly recommend that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back