Best Way to Get From PGH to LAK?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATXEagle

Service Attendant
I'm going down to Florida to visit my parents this November. I'll be traveling from Pittsburgh down to Lakeland (flying back to Pittsburgh due to time constraints). There are two options available on the Amtrak website:

Take the Capitol Limited from PGH to WAS and then take the Silver Meteor to Florida (followed by a thruway bus from ORL to LAK).

Take the Pennsylvanian from PGH to PHL, and then the Silver Meteor and thruway bus.

I can't decide between the two options.

On the one hand, if I take the Pennsylvanian I don't have to wake up so early in the morning, I also wouldn't have such a long layover between trains. I would book a business class seat to PHL and then a roomette on the Meteor. The downside is there is no dining car on the Pennsylvanian, so I'd have lunch in the snack bar. I've also driven across the state on the turnpike several times, so I'm not sure if I'd get any new and interesting scenery? But I would have longer on the Meteor, and I'd definitely get dinner on the Meteor.

The Capitol leaves very early, which isn't so fun. But I would be able to book a superliner roomette to WAS and then a viewliner roomette on the Meteor. That would be cool to get one of each. I also think that the scenery on the CL might be better. There's also breakfast and lunch in the dining car rather than the snack bar, and I'd get to enjoy the CL's observation lounge. The downside (besides the early departure) is the long layover in WAS. I'm also not sure if I'd still be able to get dinner on the Meteor (it leaves WAS at 7:30 PM). Does anyone know about this? Is there much to do near Union Station in Washington to fill the time?

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot give you advice on the Pennsylvanian because I have not been on it yet, however, I have taken the Capitol Limited twice from Chicago to WAS and have taken the Silver Meteor many times from WAS to ORL. Everytime I have taken the Silver Meteor from WAS, I have been served dinner. I assume that if the train were really late, I would have missed dinner, but that has not happened to me yet. For the last 7 or so years, I have taken the Silver Meteor from WAS at least once a year.

I have a sister that lives in Maryland, and the 2 times I had the layover from the Capitol Limited, she has taken the Metro to come hang out in DC. There is plenty to do around Was Union Station. There is plenty to do inside Union Station - there is even a movie theater.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Florida. Hopefully, by November, it will start to cool off (below the mid-80's). :lol:

Penny

I cannot give you advice on the Pennsylvanian because I have not been on it yet, however, I have taken the Capitol Limited twice from Chicago to WAS and have taken the Silver Meteor many times from WAS to ORL. Everytime I have taken the Silver Meteor from WAS, I have been served dinner. I assume that if the train were really late, I would have missed dinner, but that has not happened to me yet. For the last 7 or so years, I have taken the Silver Meteor from WAS at least once a year.
Thanks so much for your advice, especially for letting me know you've been able to get dinner when boarding the Meteor at WAS. How is the scenery from PGH to WAS on the CL once day breaks?

Thanks so much for your advice, especially for letting me know you've been able to get dinner when boarding the Meteor at WAS. How is the scenery from PGH to WAS on the CL once day breaks?
I loved the scenery on the CL. I have lived in Florida all my life and to me, any scenery that is not Florida or I-95 between Florida and Maryland is great.

From the train, you can see rivers (including the Potomac), mountains, hiking paths, etc. The train passes through Harpers Ferry, VWA, which is the headquarters of the Appalachian Trail. From the train window you can see where the trail crosses the river. I especially enjoyed that part of the scenery since I have hiked that part of the trail.

I always bring plenty of books to read on my train trips, but I end up looking out the window instead of reading (even in Florida).

I've yet to ride the Pennsylvania, so I also can't comment on the scenery. However the Cap scenery is great for being in the east. There is plenty to do around Union Station in DC if you have the time. I walked to Capitol Hill on 1 trip and got a Trolley pass on another. The post office museum is next door and the circle out front of the station is very interesting itself.

D_C_003.jpg

D_C_120.jpg

You can see more of my DC photo's here

Thanks for the advice about the scenery on the CL southeast of Pittsburgh, and the information on Union Station. I changed trains there back in 8th grade and also back in 1995, but I don't remember much about it.

Union Station is almost next to the Capitol and is just off the Mall (with all the museums). Inside the station, there are numerous shops. Also, because you will be in a roomette, you are entitled to use the Club Acela! (In fact, you could also use the Club Acela in Philadelphia too.)

Union Station is almost next to the Capitol and is just off the Mall (with all the museums). Inside the station, there are numerous shops. Also, because you will be in a roomette, you are entitled to use the Club Acela! (In fact, you could also use the Club Acela in Philadelphia too.)
Thanks! The clubs are a definite benefit to both stations (I've heard that the one in PHL is nice, I assume WAS probably is too since it's such a big "hub.")

Thanks! The clubs are a definite benefit to both stations (I've heard that the one in PHL is nice, I assume WAS probably is too since it's such a big "hub.")
IMHO, the CA in WAS is much nicer than PHL! The one at PHL is linear, while in WAS it is a room. One advantage of PHL's is that they have elevators directly to the platform! But overall, I rate WAS better!

Having taken both legs (PGH - WAS on the CL and PHL-PGH on the Pennsy) just 1 month ago, I can provide you my expert :unsure: opinion.

EITHER!

Scenery: They both are scenic. The Pennsy has Horseshoe curve, Amish Country and nice semi-mountainous scenery. The CL has many river views and also has nice semi-mountainous scenery, but you don't get that until the sun rises.

If you take the Pennsy, the trip down from PHL to WAS on the NE corridor is nothing special, so if you took the CL, you wouldn't miss much there.

The CL has a sightseer lounge, so that is a definite bonus when looking for scenery.

Stations: Washington is nicer, but PHL does have very good food options. As for what to do, hands down WAS. It is VERY close to the capital, mall (Smithsonian), and has a Metro stop at the station from which you can go to MANY other sights. That is what I did last month.

SO, in my opinion, I would do the CL even though it leaves WAY too early in the morning. If you have a roomette, you could always sleep for a few hours before the sun rises (depending on the time of year of course). For me, I just went to the diner and had a nice leisurely breakfast.

Ill take a politicians stand and say: either! The Horeshoe Curve is something to see if you havent, PHIL station is very good and the sleep is always a factor! As the OPs have said, all things considered, Id go with the CL (sleep on the train as they say!), WAS, my old home for many moons, is probably one of the best daytime layover spots in the USA,the station itself is like another world, the mall and all thehistoric builkdings are right there, the Metro is in the station, wish I was there right now (its a great place to visit, wouldnt want to live there! :lol: ), have a great trip! Do your research and decide on what to do, theres so much its hard to decide, lots of free stuff too which is unbelievable in this day and age! :cool:

Each have their advantages, but were I in your position (Pittsburgh) I'd prefer to take the Pennsylvanian into Philly (Disclaimer - I live in Philly).

I find that Philly's 30th Street Club Acela is far superior to Washington DC's - very cosy, calming and you can look out to the main concourse at the unwashed masses.;-) The staff at Philly is excellent, as is their boarding procedure. I found the staff in DC ambivalent and their boarding even in Club Acela less then ideal.

Philly also has an excellent bar - Bridgewater's Pub - where they have a great beer selection and good food. There are many other food choices in the station. Also, you can jump on the subway or a regional Septa train for one or two stops and be right in the center of downtown Philly, if you so choose.

DC has a good bar in the center of the great hall, with a great bartender Mahomet (who seems to be working whenever I go through the station). DC sites are also very accessable from the station.

This past June I took the CL to WAS, the Silver Star to Tampa.

It's a bit of a gamble, I guess, but I made the connection, had very little layover & no bus from Orlando. As I'm typing this, I'm saying to myself "AAAEEEHHH, Big Gamble"!!! ( but maybe not from Pittsburg)

There is a Trolly Car that's $35 & it takes you all around DC to the different tourist sites, which would kill a few hours. Once I even took in a movie @ the 9 screen theatre on the lower level of WUS. And what a food court!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/set...57607284582470/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railfreak/set...57607284744380/

Have Fun

RF

I agree with AAARGH. I would go the CL to WAS and the Meteor to Lakeland.

If you can connect in WAS to the Silver Star, you can take the train all the way to Lakeland.

Good luck. Either way, you will have an enjoyable trip.

Thanks to everyone for the great information!

I'm still not sure which I'll settle on. I went ahead and booked both so that I won't be rushed to decide.

Two of you mentioned connecting to the Silver Star. I didn't think that was possible (but it would sure be preferable!) I did check, and the system will let me book PGH to WAS on the CL and then WAS to LAK on the Star as a multi-city trip. (Last time I tried that it wouldn't even let me book it as multi-city, I just got an error message. But today it's working for me with bookings in November. It looks like they moved up the arrival time of the CL in WAS by 5 minutes.)

So I'm curious, if I forced this routing using the multi-city function, am I protected if something goes wrong and the CL is very late getting to WAS?

Thanks again for all the advice. Everyone on this site has been so helpful.

No, you would not be protected if you book using the multi-city function. You're on your own if the Capitol arrives too late to make the connection.

No, you would not be protected if you book using the multi-city function. You're on your own if the Capitol arrives too late to make the connection.
I'm not sure how much it would cost, but you could look into getting travel insurance for the trip. That way, you'd be covered for any additional expenses due to acts of God or Amtrak.

:lol:

Amtrak offers insurance through a particular vendor, but I'm guessing you can probably find comparable coverage at a cheaper rate. I have used InsureMyTrip.com in the past, and their site allows you to search across multiple vendors at once to find the best rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back