Best way to get upgrade as a new Select status member

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone,
I reached Select status last week and got the 2 upgrade vouchers attached to my account.

In a week, I will be taking Acela from Washington to Boston with my wife, which seems like the best scenario to use them. However, my tickets are at the "Saver" level, which I believe is not eligible for the coupon. Shakes head.

What would you recommend as the best way to take advantage? I could rebook for $60 more at the higher ticket option and become eligible to upgrade, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost and hassle.

1. Curious what your recommendations would be for the best course of action here
  2. Can I use my 2 upgrades to upgrade both myself and my wife (she's not Select)?
  3. Would they upgrade us both even if there are no adjacent seats?
Thank you!

Congrats on Select! Try to use that AGR phone number for everything; it's usually much easier.

As far as I know, the upgrade coupons still work on Saver fares, regardless of what the terms say.

2. Yes, the coupons can be used for any passenger.
3. Yes. The system will try to put you two together, but sometimes that's not possible, especially on the full route. This is why it's important to get as close to the 48, or in your case, 12-hour window before departure time as possible. You can view the seat map and change your seats after the coupons are applied, but I don't think there's any way to get them back if there aren't two seats together. Stupid they don't allow viewing the seat map before upgrading, or even when paying for First Class.

I used a coupon to upgrade a Saver fare last month. At least I would hope that an $87 Baltimore - Boston Acela BC is a Saver fare.

When my wife and I took the Acela earlier this month, I didn't bother with messing around with the coupons, I just booked our two tickets with points, and early enough that we had no problem finding two seats next to each other.

As the other Posters said, I too have upgraded several times to FC on Acela with a Saver Fare.

Your 2 Coupons are good for anyone with an Amtrak Ticket irregardless of their Status so your wife is elgible.

And once you're booked and given your Seat Assignments, you can change your seats on line, or have an Agent do it for you.

Thank you all for your help and comments. Much appreciated. Now I just need to wait until the clock tolls 12 hours before departure and hope there is still decent space!

In the past, booking with saver fare required a few dollars to upcharge to the 'value' fare (ie, full fare). The agents I talked to were well versed in the requirements and I simply told them to use the existing CC number. But lately, they haven't asked for the extra money. Apparently the agents weren't sufficiently trained and/or the computer system doesn't 'enforce' the value fare requirement.

Hello. I’m having an issue applying my upgrade coupons to our Acela tickets for tomorrow. I’m guessing it’s because I’m not within my 12 hour window yet? Figured I’d ask here before I called AGR later today. Attached picture is the error I’m getting. I booked these tickets three months ago.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or guidance.

Attachments

• 5E6170F2-0690-4053-BEF7-3A8F2E81DEE9.jpeg
    5E6170F2-0690-4053-BEF7-3A8F2E81DEE9.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 0
Hello. I’m having an issue applying my upgrade coupons to our Acela tickets for tomorrow. I’m guessing it’s because I’m not within my 12 hour window yet? Figured I’d ask here before I called AGR later today. Attached picture is the error I’m getting. I booked these tickets three months ago.

When did you buy the Acela ticket?

Right, it won't let you apply the coupon until it is 12 hours before. I have found error messages often have little to do with the actual error, unfortunately.

You have to wait until 12 hours before departure to apply it. Therefore, use it any time AFTER 12:10Am on the 16th (basically now) and it should work.

Back