Best way to transfer between Boston North and South stations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back Bay to North Station (or vice versa) is a simple transfer on the Orange Line. You do have to go up and out of the station, and cross the street, at Back Bay. Signage is lacking, but it's not hard to figure out. At North Station, it's an easy transfer from one track to another within the station. Cost Back Bay-North Station IIRC is $2.75 one way--buy a single-ride Charlie card at an automated kiosk, using cash or credit card.

Back Bay to North Station (or vice versa) is a simple transfer on the Orange Line. You do have to go up and out of the station, and cross the street, at Back Bay. Signage is lacking, but it's not hard to figure out. At North Station, it's an easy transfer from one track to another within the station. Cost Back Bay-North Station IIRC is $2.75 one way--buy a single-ride Charlie card at an automated kiosk, using cash or credit card.
Other way. North station is across the street transfer (tunnel under construction last I knew). Back Bay is in building transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

As noted the way to transfer is the Orange Line between North Station and Back Bay Station and visa versus. It is beyond simple.

There is no checked baggage service at Back Bay Station, or North Station. Checked Baggage is not offered on any of the Downeaster trains.

Ken

I mentioned it only from the standpoint of someone who carried luggage on a Downeaster or MBTA line but was changing to a checked luggage option like the LSL or 65/67. Not that common, but certainly not impossible. I'm going to carry on all of my bags next month on the NER from NYP to WAS to board a CL connecting in Chicago to the TE. I may check one bag through in WAS rather than leave it downstairs on the CL and moving it to the TE. I could check them at NYP and they would likely go out on the LSL and transfer in Chicago, but why chance it. Without possible checked luggage, I would absolutely do it your way.

Last edited by a moderator:
The .3 miles shown on the MBTA Trip Planner is just to cross the street from North Station to the Orange Line station during construction. The outside entrances that were only 100 feet apart must be blocked off for the construction.

Take Orange line Train( marked Forest Hills) 2 stops to Downtown Crossing station. Take Red Line Train(marked Ashmont or Braintree) one stop to South Station.

Or Taxi, Uber, or Lyfte the 1.5 miles between North and South stations.

Other way. North station is across the street transfer (tunnel under construction last I knew). Back Bay is in building transfer.

Sorry--joelliot is right, of course. Lapse of attention on my part.

It's a pretty easy transfer, even with luggage. Note that the subways get very crowded at rush hour--but even with luggage, by myself, I found this doable. Not really any more difficult than getting your luggage to street level and into a cab or Uber.

Transferring from the orange to the red line (between North and South stations) would be a bit more than I'd want to do with luggage. North to and from Back Bay is reasonable, though.

Sorry--joelliot is right, of course. Lapse of attention on my part.

It's a pretty easy transfer, even with luggage. Note that the subways get very crowded at rush hour--but even with luggage, by myself, I found this doable. Not really any more difficult than getting your luggage to street level and into a cab or Uber.

Transferring from the orange to the red line (between North and South stations) would be a bit more than I'd want to do with luggage. North to and from Back Bay is reasonable, though.
Maybe I should add that when I did this last month, I had only one roller bag, a smaller bag on top of it, and a tote bag over my shoulder. More than that, and I'd have gone for a cab.

Back