Bid Up questions and experiences

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting to learn that points for roommettes go down just before departure . I tried searching for today from NYP-CHI and it says 21,000 points.. It says "1 left at this price". So I guess to get 13k points there would need to be several unsold rooms, not one? And how far in advance will the points drop to lowest bucket ( the day of, 1 day, 2 days before departure )?

Although I did search today for Rochester to South Bend and it shows only needing around 12k points. This would be 11:30PM till 9AM in the roomette. Just enough for me to rest, shower and eat..
I said they can, not that they will. If it is close to sold out, they obviously won't. If they still have a few unsold rooms, Amtrak yield management might reallocate some of them into lower buckets, as they appeared to do on the Empire Builder recently. They also may not be tracking all that closely in any given situation and ignore it, too.

On way to gauge the odds of whether a drop is likely is to measure the inventory by doing a dummy reservation for up to 8 rooms. If a significant number of rooms show up and it is closing in on departure date, chances are good they will reallocate some to lower buckets, assuming they are paying attention.

Yield management is dynamic, Amtrak can reallocate at any time. There are windows where it appears more likely, based mostly on individual experience and anecdotal evidence here, but it can happen any time. No one can give you a formula like x days prior to departure = y bucket.

Finally, do all your research using cash fares and @niemi24s' charts. Most of us, including myself, don't have that good of a feel for point redemption values, even though most of my sleeper trips are on points. When you find a fare that you can see is in a low(er) bucket, then book it with points. Lower cash fare will be reflected with lower point values.

I have never been able to BidUp on any of my 6 train trips so far. I think that the option is entirely a myth. Unless bidding up from roomette to bedroom isn’t a thing or just happens once every 10 years.

I have never been able to BidUp on any of my 6 train trips so far. I think that the option is entirely a myth. Unless bidding up from roomette to bedroom isn’t a thing or just happens once every 10 years.
I have been offered a bid up from Roomette to Bedroom each time I have traveled on Silver Service this year.

Have those reservations involved a connection of some sort? those reservations are always ineligible

Yes. Man thats BS, make us do each leg separately then!
That is not a good idea just to get BidUp if the connections are same day.

If connections are not same day, it is a good idea to keep them separate anyway, as a fire break against getting tickets cancelled due to not scanning.

Last edited:
I am contemplating how to pay for my next trip. At my age a roomette is a requirement. Not being wealthy, I am looking for ways to save and looked over Amtrak's "Bid Up" on the website.

How has this worked for anyone out there who may have used it in the past? What advice do you have passed on your experience? I am an experienced Amtrak traveler, seen it all, been there, done that, the good the bad and the ugly so I don't need travel advice other than how to use the "Bid Up" process.

Sounds like I would purchase a coach ticket and then a day or two before departure I would go on Amtrak.com and place a bid for a roomette. I understand there is no guarantee and I might have to make my trip in coach.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I am contemplating how to pay for my next trip. At my age a roomette is a requirement. Not being wealthy, I am looking for ways to save and looked over Amtrak's "Bid Up" on the website.

How has this worked for anyone wout there who may have used it in the past? What advice do you have passed on your experience? I am an experienced Amtrak traveler, seen it all, been there, done that, the good the bad and the ugly so I don't need travel advice other than how to use the "Bid Up" process.

Sounds like I would purchase a coach ticket and then a day or two before departure I would go on Amtrak.com and place a bid for a roomette. I understand there is no guarantee and I might have to make my trip in coach.

As long as there are no connections and it isn't on AGR points or a USA Rail Pass, you should be able to do BidUp on a single segment coach ticket.

There will be a minimum bid required.

BidUp closes 37 hours before scheduled departure for sleepers.

You only get one shot at it. If you bid and fail, you cannot do another for the same accommodation type.

You might do almost as well by checking sleeper prices within a week of departure and just doing a straight modification/upgrade. There have been several reports here recently of low(er) buckets becoming available within a couple weeks of departure.

I won't do BidUp if it means booking a coach ticket for overnight travel. I'll play the games required to find a low(er) bucket. I might do it to upgrade from a roomette to a bedroom, though.

Can't help with strategies for determining a bid amount.

Hasn’t worked for me 😁
But if you book in the app it will give you the option to bid. The tool also lets you determine if your booking is eligible for bid-up. You might also receive email solicitation to bid. Once you’re on the bid up screen you can experiment with the slider and see if the highest option (that they will classify as having the best chance) is close to just buying the room.

As long as there are no connections and it isn't on AGR points or a USA Rail Pass, you should be able to do BidUp on a single segment coach ticket.

There will be a minimum bid required.

BidUp closes 37 hours before scheduled departure for sleepers.

You only get one shot at it. If you bid and fail, you cannot do another for the same accommodation type.

You might do almost as well by checking sleeper prices within a week of departure and just doing a straight modification/upgrade. There have been several reports here recently of low(er) buckets becoming available within a couple weeks of departure.

I won't do BidUp if it means booking a coach ticket for overnight travel. I'll play the games required to find a low(er) bucket. I might do it to upgrade from a roomette to a bedroom, though.

Can't help with strategies for determining a bid amount.

How has this worked for anyone out there who may have used it in the past? What advice do you have passed on your experience? I am an experienced Amtrak traveler, seen it all, been there, done that, the good the bad and the ugly so I don't need travel advice other than how to use the "Bid Up" process.

Zephyr’s advise about the process is good and accurate,

I would like to add that personally, be fully prepared to do the trip in Coach if the bid doesn’t work. The only other option is to buy an upgrade at the last minute which can be pricey depending on the time of the year.

Depending on which segment of the route your riding, there’s a good chance of accommodations being sold out. Bidup will let you bid on rooms even if all accommodations are sold out. (This will result in an automatic unsuccessful bid).

The success of the bid being accepted depends on both the segment you are riding and the time of the year.

For example, if you are going end to end on the California Zephyr during the summer there is basically no chance at getting a bid-upgrade even if you want. That route is consistently sold out during the summer.

Last edited:
Zephyr’s advise about the process is good and accurate,

I would like to add that personally, be fully prepared to do the trip in Coach if the bid doesn’t work. The only other option is to buy an upgrade at the last minute which can be pricey depending on the time of the year.

Depending on which segment of the route your riding, there’s a good chance of accommodations being sold out. Bidup will let you bid on rooms even if all accommodations are sold out. (This will result in an automatic unsuccessful bid).

The success of the bid being accepted truest depends on both the segment you are riding and the time of the year.

For example, if you are going end to end on the California Zephyr during the summer there is basically no chance at getting a bid-upgrade even if you want. That route is consistently sold out during the summer.
Very good points.

Maybe before placing a bid, run a dummy reservation to check room availability? That also would give you info on current pricing.

All the Western trains are usually sold out in sleepers or close to it during the summer, not just the CZ. If you plan to travel during a peak period and want a room, you should probably just bite the bullet and buy one, chances of there rooms being available for BidUp late in the game are relatively low.

I second @trimetbusfan's advice that you need to be fully prepared to be in coach should you choose this option.

I was given the opportunity to "bid up" for my Return Day Trip this week on the Eaglette from Austin to Temple.

Roomettes on #21/#22 ( Austin to Temple) were shown @ $115 when I booked my Coach Trip ( Saver Coach Fare of $7.50 each way),.

The suggested "Strong Bid"was $125, which includes Breakfast ( Flex)on #22 and Dinner ( Flex) on #21.( not really worth it IMO)

Just for grins, I bid $40 and much to my Suprise😱 it was Accepted,because the One Sleeper running on the 4 Car Eaglette ( NO Sightseer Lounge,Bag Car or Transdorm) includes the OBS Crew and and is usually "Sold Out!"

Good Luck on getting your Bid up accepted or @ the Least a Low Bucket Room!

I tried a bid up to business class on the Wolverine. The suggested "good" bid was $28. I bumped it up to an "excellent" $32 which seemed to be as far as it would let me go. How often do these things work?

We boarded in CLT, not even ten minutes after leaving the station, the attendant came knocking. I've got some empty bedrooms all the way to NYP. You want one? It's free! Heck yes we will take it! We tipped him well.
One reason the attendant might have offered that bedroom: it's much easier for him or her to strip and make up the beds in the larger room. The CA would be out of the corridor as they worked.

I tried a bid up to business class on the Wolverine. The suggested "good" bid was $28. I bumped it up to an "excellent" $32 which seemed to be as far as it would let me go. How often do these things work?
I’ve never gotten a BC bid up to work on the Wolverine. Even with seats available. (They will invite you to bid on a sold out car). Of course I’ve also only lowballed the bid.

Hello Everyone,
My friend and I, are looking at taking one of the Sliver Service trains from Philadelphia (PHL) to Orlando (ORL) -(Round Trip), in just a few weeks for our Summer vacation, I have never used BidUp before, and was wondering if would it be possible or realistic to be able to bid on a Roomette Upgrade from PHL to ORL on the Sliver Service(s), this time of year.

If this is possible does anyone have an idea how much we would have to pay to win our upgrade using the system (ballpark numbers)?

Roomettes from Philadelphia to Orlando are currently retailing Northwards for $1,000 Dollars which we do not have the ability to purchase due to our financial situation currently, and I am wondering if would we be able to get a Roomette at a discount if we attempted to use Bidup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and trip dates are not flexible.

Note: In the event we cannot score a room we are prepared to do the long trip in Coach.

Hello Everyone,
My friend and I, are looking at taking one of the Sliver Service trains from Philadelphia (PHL) to Orlando (ORL) -(Round Trip), in just a few weeks for our Summer vacation, I have never used BidUp before, and was wondering if would it be possible or realistic to be able to bid on a Roomette Upgrade from PHL to ORL on the Sliver Service(s), this time of year.

If this is possible does anyone have an idea how much we would have to pay to win our upgrade using the system (ballpark numbers)?

Roomettes from Philadelphia to Orlando are currently retailing Northwards for $1,000 Dollars which we do not have the ability to purchase due to our financial situation currently, and I am wondering if would we be able to get a Roomette at a discount if we attempted to use Bidup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and trip dates are not flexible.

Note: In the event we cannot score a room we are prepared to do the long trip in Coach.

All you can do is try. With that said the Silver’s are popular routes. Many people with the wherewithal ride those routes in roomettes and bedrooms. But you never know, you might get lucky. If you make a bid, just make sure you enter the largest amount you can handle. Good luck.

In December I m flying to LA from BWI and spending a few days in San Diego. Got a low bucket roomette on the SL/TE to Chicago. Getting back to DC was a different story. $630 or so on the Capitol Limited for a roomette. No way will I pay that. I did a bid up at a fair chance of being accepted for $225. With the $76 I paid for Coach it’s a reasonable $301. I have gotten poor and fair bids accepted. If not I am mentally prepared for a night in Coach.

First BidUp offer received! Currently LAX-DAL in a roomette, I can bid on a bedroom....

$200/290/380/470/560 Poor/Fair/Good/Strong/Excellent

As I'm traveling solo I don't really need to upgrade, but there's a part of me that is tempted to put in a low bid.

Edit: bedrooms are apparently sold out for that part of the trip if I try to buy a ticket directly. Think I'll pass....

Last edited:
I got a bid up from roomette to bedroom. It is tempting but a.) gambling against the house with a 2 day window during which there would be no conclusion seems pretty stupid and b.) the upgrade would spin up the cost of my 1-way trip from $500+ to $700+ with a side of uncertainty. No thanks. E-bay builds in a tracker for bidding and an end date for the bid.

I got a bid up from roomette to bedroom. It is tempting but a.) gambling against the house with a 2 day window during which there would be no conclusion seems pretty stupid and b.) the upgrade would spin up the cost of my 1-way trip from $500+ to $700+ with a side of uncertainty. No thanks. E-bay builds in a tracker for bidding and an end date for the bid.
There's no downside to offering the minimum bid if the upgrade would be worth it to you. It's not gambling, because there's no risk.

Assume it won't be accepted, and if it is, then it's a pleasant surprise. If it's not, you've lost nothing.

For the trains that split into two sections (EB and LSL), are you bidding on only your section of the train, or both sections? Has anyone gotten an upgrade and been moved to the other train number?
I'm taking the EB from MSP to Glacier this summer. For both directions, coach tickets were much cheaper on the Portland section (27/28), but it's showing only one roomette available. Meanwhile, the Seattle section (7/8) still has a number of rooms available.

For the trains that split into two sections (EB and LSL), are you bidding on only your section of the train, or both sections? Has anyone gotten an upgrade and been moved to the other train number?
I'm taking the EB from MSP to Glacier this summer. For both directions, coach tickets were much cheaper on the Portland section (27/28), but it's showing only one roomette available. Meanwhile, the Seattle section (7/8) still has a number of rooms available.
You would only be bidding on the part of the train your booked in. The reservation system considers train 7 and train 27 a separate train. Therefore you would technically have a higher chance at getting upgraded if you were in the 7 section because that part of the train runs with an extra sleeper, whereas 27 only runs with one sleeper.

Back