Big Easy Here I Come!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpamtfan

OBS Chief
Can't wait! Leaving May 2nd on the Crescent, got Bedroom B in the 1911 car (YES!!! We aren't going to be facing the wrong way). Just need two things clarified:

1. The 1911 car is the last car, correct? I also thought (as I had seen previously on the Cardinal) that the H-room is sold as a regular bedroom once the regular bedrooms are sold out. So, have they stopped doing that or do they wait until a few weeks before the trip?)

2. All three meals are included (since we're going to jam into one room).

I'm new to sleeping car service (been a coacher my whole life :lol: ) so I'm just trying to get as much feedback to my two travel companiens :rolleyes: :lol: ! Thanks for the help!

Can't wait! Leaving May 2nd on the Crescent, got Bedroom B in the 1911 car (YES!!! We aren't going to be facing the wrong way). Just need two things clarified:1. The 1911 car is the last car, correct? I also thought (as I had seen previously on the Cardinal) that the H-room is sold as a regular bedroom once the regular bedrooms are sold out. So, have they stopped doing that or do they wait until a few weeks before the trip?)

I'm new to sleeping car service (been a coacher my whole life :lol: ) so I'm just trying to get as much feedback to my two travel companiens :rolleyes: :lol: ! Thanks for the help!
1. Yes, last car. I think they wait until a few weeks before.

2. Yes. Contrary to what some people say, all 3 of you will get all your meals included. I've ridden plenty of overnight trains with 3 in a bedroom and no one has ever raised the issue with us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait! Leaving May 2nd on the Crescent, got Bedroom B in the 1911 car (YES!!! We aren't going to be facing the wrong way). Just need two things clarified:1. The 1911 car is the last car, correct? I also thought (as I had seen previously on the Cardinal) that the H-room is sold as a regular bedroom once the regular bedrooms are sold out. So, have they stopped doing that or do they wait until a few weeks before the trip?)

#1911 is the last sleeper, #1912 would be behind the diner and 1911 will be the last car unless there are some deadhead cars added or private varnish!There are three meals but diner is served early since the train gets into NOL early and the crew has to clean up!When I rode last month they started serving in

Hattiesberg,MS @ 4:30PM and we were finished by 6:00PM, one sitting only! Have a great trip! Who Dat! Go Saints! Let the good times roll!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I know "alot" about the cars thanks to seeing them in NYP/NTD/etc where I could see 'em. On this particular trip I will probably be in both a bedroom and a (yet to be decided) roomette on the LSL or CL back (I've been on the LSL back when there was Diner Lite, etc back in 2008. I've never been in a Superliner Sleeper, except for NTD, and I've never been on the CL. The only problem with that is I don't really want to ride ANOTHER NER "I've ridden Amfleet Is my entire life, I would like to change things around a bit"). I know the CL has better scenery than the LSL and probably the same -food served ratio-but I also want to get more Chicago sightseeing done (last time I was in Chicago there was this Sears Tower, now it isn't on the map *sarcasm*! My last idea was, we have 20,000 points left over, so thats why I wanted the roomette on the trip home. But if we have some cash left over, I think I'll get one of those "surprisingly cheap" roomettes on the CONO. So this trip does seem like it is coming together, and I can't wait............a second one more question :lol: !

Is the Sightseer back on the CONO? Is this because they want the CONO/TE to share consists again?

The 1911 car is the last car, correct? I also thought (as I had seen previously on the Cardinal) that the H-room is sold as a regular bedroom once the regular bedrooms are sold out. So, have they stopped doing that or do they wait until a few weeks before the trip?)
#1911 is the last sleeper, #1912 would be behind the diner and 1911 will be the last car unless there are some deadhead cars added or private varnish!
I hate to say you're wrong Jim - but you're wrong! :p

The 1st sleeper next to the dinner is #1910, the next is #1911 and (if there is a 3rd sleeper) #1912 is further from the diner. The H-room is held for a qualified passenger only up to IIRC 14 days from departure. Then it is available to all, if all other rooms are sold.

2. Yes. Contrary to what some people say, all 3 of you will get all your meals included. I've ridden plenty of overnight trains with 3 in a bedroom and no one has ever raised the issue with us.
AMTRAK descriptions for all sleepers say "2 adults". Someone is bending the rules to allow 3.

AMTRAK descriptions for all sleepers say "2 adults". Someone is bending the rules to allow 3.
Its not really rule bending, you just have to call, so they can warn you there are only 2 beds.

The 1911 car is the last car, correct? I also thought (as I had seen previously on the Cardinal) that the H-room is sold as a regular bedroom once the regular bedrooms are sold out. So, have they stopped doing that or do they wait until a few weeks before the trip?)
#1911 is the last sleeper, #1912 would be behind the diner and 1911 will be the last car unless there are some deadhead cars added or private varnish!
I hate to say you're wrong Jim - but you're wrong! :p

The 1st sleeper next to the dinner is #1910, the next is #1911 and (if there is a 3rd sleeper) #1912 is further from the diner. The H-room is held for a qualified passenger only up to IIRC 14 days from departure. Then it is available to all, if all other rooms are sold.
Of course you are correct, there goes my arthritic fingers again!Does that qualify me for the H room? :lol:

Bedroom is ideal for 2, is allowed to do 3. Done that 26 times going back to March '94, in Heritage, Viewliner, and Superliner sleepers. All meals have always been included. No one has ever raised the issue. No rules being bent. Recently, agents have asked us if we realize it will be a tight fit with 3, but that's it. None of them have had a problem with making the reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back