Big mess on NEC just south of Wilm, DE

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of 9:00 pm: "SERVICE DISRUPTION UPDATE: All Train traffic continues to hold in the Wilmington (WIL) area due to ongoing fire department activity. Expect heavy delays through the affected area. We will provide updates as more information becomes available."

As of 9:25 pm: "SERVICE DISRUPTION UPDATE: Trains in the Wilmington (WIL) area will begin moving through the affected area at reduced speeds. Expect residual delays. Trains will move in the order in which they were scheduled. We will provide updates as more information becomes available."

With all the camera out there, they will get the hit and run driver, and he/she will be working a McDees next week, while waiting for his/her trial.

Nice mess, I do hate construction zones, people get very aggressive, and sometimes it hard to determine where the lanes are.

This part of 95 is going through a major reconstruction. It's a long viaduct and I don't think they've done any major updates to it since it was built in the '60's

Couldn't be true. That truck was stuck. One the other hand, the driver may have fled but he did NOT take his truck with him. ;)
The article had been update since I had posted it. A northbound pickup truck struck a mini van and they then pushed the barrier in front of the oncoming southbound tractor trailer. The pickup truck fled the scene.

https://www.wdel.com/news/i-95-reop...cle_c764117c-b69d-11eb-8618-2720033c72c3.html
Preliminary reports from the Delaware Department of Transportation (DelDOT) indicated a northbound truck was in the right lane of the I-95 work zone, attempted to move into the left through lane, and collided with a mini-van that was already in the left lane.

The combined force of the truck and van collision pushed part of the concrete dividing wall into the southbound lane and into the path of an oncoming tractor trailer.

That truck driver attempted to avoid the jersey barrier but crashed into the outside retaining wall and ended up going over top of it penetrating a wooden construction wall, and ending up hanging partially off the viaduct.

The northbound truck that caused the wreck reportedly fled the scene.

Just because CTDOT keeps kicking the can down the road to do a similar project in Hartford and it’s funny that we overbuilt all this highway infrastructure without operating & maintenance money to deal with it decades later.
In general American transportation planners are pretty bad at planning for maintenance and how they will be funded. This is true for all transportation infrastructure, not just highways. So it always is a scramble in panic mode in race to keep stuff from collapsing instead of maintaing in a timely and orderly fashion.

Last edited:
In general American transportation planners are pretty bad at planning for maintenance and how they will be funded. This is true for all transportation infrastructure, not just highways. So it always is a scramble in panic mode in race to keep stuff from collapsing instead of maintain g in a timelye and orderly fashion.
Yup, cuz there’s no ribbon cutting for another year of operational funding that “loses money”

Yes look at the Memphis TN I-40 maintenance mess. Could not even inspect the bridge properly to determine that a problem existed. Fired an inspector that missed the broken part in 2019 that was found in a review of pictures. Now all his inspections are having to be redone in a matter of caution.

look at the Memphis TN I-40 maintenance mess. Could not even inspect the bridge properly to determine that a problem existed. Fired an inspector that missed the broken part in 2019

How can anyone deny that there is a tremendous need for money on the Federal and State and local levels for this nation's infrastructure needs?

Who is going to pay for it? It's us, We, the People. We have been successful for many years in avoiding the taxes on all three levels that ought to have been levied and spent then for the infrastructure needs at that time. Delay has only increased the need and will now make fixing what should have been fixed more expensive.

Pay now or pay much more later. Wonder what the costs are to drivers on I-40 in Memphis ? Read an article by an engineer that stated the design of the bridge made this break very critical. And that other locations on the bridge duplicating this design will need extra care.

Back