Big news from Wisconsin Great Northern Railroad -- July 27, 2020

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtabern

Conductor
Keep your eyes on the Trains Magazine Newswire tomorrow morning --- big announcement coming from the Wisconsin Great Northern Railroad in Trego, Wisconsin where I work as Director of Passenger Development.

I wish you all the best of luck with it. If you need any help I am happy to make a periodic trip up to assist. Maybe you can partner with the 261 group to use their shop to do the bigger items. They have a lot of institutional knowledge that might be of assistance.

This is very interesting news. Best of luck in restoring the Mark Twain Zephyr. It is a unique train and riding it would be a real treat. I love the Pioneer Zephyr at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry, but it is never going to roll again, so the revival of the Mark Twain Zephyr to operating status will be a real plus for historic rail restoration.
Given that three other groups have tried to restore it and failed for various reasons, this will be a real challenge to Wisconsin Great Northern.
Isn't there another Zephyr-like train that was used on the Boston and Maine still around somewhere? There have efforts to restore this train to operating condition, but nothing has been successful.
Good luck to all concerned.

We will be bringing up "Injun Joe" #9903 later this week. If anyone is in Illinois or Wisconsin and wants to see the move between the St. Louis area and Northwest Wisconsin... we expect it to move sometime between Wednesday AM and Friday PM. Could happen all Wed & Thrs... will depend on how the DOT routes the semi and such. If anyone wants to get photos --- we will "live Tweet" its location if possible @MarkTwainZephyr on Twitter will be where you want to go. The route that makes the most sense will be I-55 to I-39 to I-94 to US 53, but we'll see what happens. If anyone visits the WGNRR and would like a tour, let me know. [email protected]

Back