Big Rail Investments at New York Airports Fall Short on Promises of Connectivity

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, if I had to ride from Penn Station to JFK, I would probably take the LIRR to Jamaica and take the Airtrain. Even if it's more expensive, it's fewer stops and at least some room for luggage.
To save a little bit of money and get more frequent service you could take the E train from 34th St Penn Station (8th Ave) to Sutphin/Archer Ave./JFK Airport and transfer to the Airtrain. E is express through Queens so it is actually pretty quick, though of course not as quick as LIRR. But it is certainly more frequent.

Of course now NY MTA might follow SEPTA's lead some day and make the fare to Jamaica the same on LIRR as the Subway, and that would be cool.

Last edited:
I've just reviewed the comments about the connection between Newark Liberty Airport and New York Penn Station as well as Newark Penn Station. There was only one mention of PATH trains and that was to say there were problems with corruption.
If corruption were used to oppose American railroads we would today have very few of them. The history of the industry is the history of corruption from early on. For example, the Credit Mobilier and the election of Rutherford B. Hayes.
But a PATH train extension to Newark Liberty Airport would offer a much cheaper fare between the airport and all other PATH stations including 33rd St. and the World Trade Center. That would benefit New Yorkers. And New Jersey riders could go to Newark or Jersey City or to other stations. That would benefit both plane passengers and many who work at the airport. For a while that was under consideration but in the last year or more I have seen nothing about it.

Back